Talk

Advanced search

Nicknames given by siblings that have "stuck" ...

(29 Posts)
Tillyscoutsmum Mon 22-Aug-11 10:20:36

DH is nearly 40 and is still called Luli (loo-lee) by his parents and siblings. His slightly older brother couldn't pronounce Ewen as a small child and his mispronunciation has stuck.

DS is just starting to talk and calls DD "Titty". I'm hoping its a temporary thing ! smile

Eglu Mon 22-Aug-11 10:23:05

My DB used to call me Anya when he was little as he couldn't pronounce my similar but longer name. It never stuck though, although I have always liked that name.

OTheHugeRaveningWolef Mon 22-Aug-11 10:26:20

The nicknames my brothers and I gave one another as children are unprintably rude, so while they've stuck I won't be posting them here grin

Xavielli Mon 22-Aug-11 10:31:34

My brother still calls me snotface (drop dead Fred), charming!

All of the kids in my family called DD (Eliana) 'Ellie-narna' which somehow became 'Nellie-banana' and now we all (teachers etc included) call her Nellie!

Iggly Mon 22-Aug-11 10:32:20

Yep everyone in my family calls me by the name my brother used as he couldn't say my full name grin

TobyLeWolef Mon 22-Aug-11 10:39:11

Everyone outside of work calls me 'Kiki', which is not my name, and neither is it really all that close to my name. It was given to me by my nephew, because he couldn't say my actual name.

My daughter is known by everyone as 'Beast' grin
She was named this by my son, who was 18 months old at the time, and thought it would be funny to call her 'Ez-beast', rather than 'Esme'. She loves it, and signs notes and emails to family 'Beast'.

pinkgirlythoughts Mon 22-Aug-11 11:54:47

My 18 year old sister is often called Daisy within the family, as we used to sing 'Faye-sy Daisy' to the tune of Daisy Daisy at her when she was a baby.

theworldspins Mon 22-Aug-11 11:56:13

Not really a nn - but my big sis did name me (why my parents allowed her to give me the name I don't know - it's horrible) but it has stuck

oohlaalaa Mon 22-Aug-11 11:57:33

I have a friend who's called Pip by almost everyone. Her actual name is not Phillippa. and sounds nothing like Pip. I think her brother started calling her Pip for some random reason and it stuck.

Also, got a friend called Dougy. I have been told what his name is, and its not Douglas. I can't even remember what it is, as its never used. I was told that Dougy came from a toy he had as a child.

I have another friend who is called George by everybody, and again his names entirely different. Apparently nn George is from the childrens TV show Rainbow.

vicarlady Mon 22-Aug-11 12:09:07

Somewhere back in the mists of time my youngest child - DD2 - was nicknamed Wizz by her older siblings. It stuck and she is now known as Auntie Wizz by the next generation, so I don't think it will change now! I still like the name chosen for her but it is now only used by her GPs, I think!

TobyLeWolef Mon 22-Aug-11 12:12:28

One of my sisters is only ever known by her nickname. Her real name is Lucie, although I have friends I've known for 20 years who have only ever known her as [nickname, which is nothing like Lucie] and have never known what her actual name is.

PuppyMonkey Mon 22-Aug-11 12:16:35

Pip is standard nn for Philip and philipa afaik. what larks Pip. Great Expectations. DD2 for some reason started calling DD1 Baboo before she could talk properly and that has stuck. DD1 real name is Maddie.hmm

RoseC Mon 22-Aug-11 12:17:27

Dad used to call me 'Tiny' until I was two and an old lady asked me what my name was. Mum put her foot down after that grin

Tortoise Mon 22-Aug-11 12:20:18

DS2 gets called flea. His name is Zachary but DDs couldn't say it and called him zachablea which became zachaflea. Now he is just flea!

WuzzAndBuddy Mon 22-Aug-11 12:47:57

When my brother was born he looked like a little Gremlin so from the day he was born my Mum, Dad, Sister and I have all called him Gizmo, as he got older it was shortened to Giz, he's even in all our phones as Giz!grin

DS is Fizz, Fizzy or Fizzbomb, not really sure why... just stuck!

BikeRunSki Mon 22-Aug-11 12:54:28

My 37 yo sister is still known by a very tenuous corruption of her first name, that developed when she was a toddler. She finds it very annoying! when she was 18 she moved abroad, so at least she has some people who know her by her reaal name.

helendigestives Mon 22-Aug-11 14:57:18

I'm still occasionally called 'cakey' because my brother couldn't pronounce my name properly.

pissedrightoff Mon 22-Aug-11 15:04:34

DD (2) has called DS 'mole' since the day he was born, When he managed to get his wee hands out of the swaddling DH commented that he looked like a little mole.

He is 16 weeks now and pretty much everyone calls him mole. Poor wee boy.

(May I just add, He is beautiful and in no way resembles a mole)

HollyPockett Tue 23-Aug-11 13:50:03

My niece is a Daisy. My Mum calls her Daisy Bell which I got Tinker Bell from and now call her Tink. Thinking about it she's such a tomboy it doesn't suit her at all, but it's stuck. If I call her Daisy, she thinks she's in trouble smile

And my nephew is Louis, pronounced the French way. I call him Pooey Louis, or sometimes just Pooey. He's 22 and has never complained hmm

Tuschinski Tue 23-Aug-11 14:37:22

I am called Lily by some people as it's what I called myself when I couldn't say Shirley.
Friend called herself Freddie, real name Yvonne, and is known by that by everyone.
Friends called Quack by some relatives, no idea why.
Can't wait to see what DS says for DD when he can talk, her name is Isabella and I'm in search of inspiration for a good NN.

MrsY Tue 23-Aug-11 15:22:34

We sister and I both call each other by our (maiden) surname, which can be slightly confusing!

HattiFattner Tue 23-Aug-11 15:33:27

my DD is known as loola. First it was baba (from DS1 who couldnt say Amber, not me!) and from there it became baba-loola (from the song) and from there just loola.

AngryFeet Tue 23-Aug-11 15:36:00

My brother is called Neil but I started calling him Nelly Mangel (Nelly for short) when we were very young (probably around the time of Neighbours grin). Weirdly a good friend and ex boyfriend also has a brother called Neil and has the same nickname for him!

Georgimama Tue 23-Aug-11 15:38:18

My brothers still call me Mels which is short for Helen Melon which has been my nickname since I was a few weeks old.

insanityscatching Tue 23-Aug-11 15:42:02

Dd is called Foofy by all which was a name ds gave her as a baby even though he could pronounce her name. She calls ds m'boy because she used to call him boy and when we corrected her with his name she'd say " no my boy!" and it evolved to m'boy. He only answers to that though from her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now