Talk

Advanced search

Gabriel?

(13 Posts)
YouDoTheMath Sun 21-Aug-11 20:16:51

Opinions please!

(And I'm talking about the masculine version, not the feminine Gabrielle or Gabriella).

WantingToBeAMrs Sun 21-Aug-11 20:19:46

I absolutely love it and that's why it's DS's name grin but he is frequently called Gabrielle by HCPs hmm

wearenotamused Sun 21-Aug-11 20:21:03

I'm not really a fan. it's (pardon the pun) to angelic for my tastes.
It was the 'what I was going to be if I was a boy' name for lots of girls I went to school with.

But then I like Gabe.

Bunbaker Sun 21-Aug-11 20:23:22

I love it grin

YouDoTheMath Sun 21-Aug-11 20:26:50

Wanting I've seen a lot of instances online where people have confused Gabriel with Gabrielle - I'm surprised it happens really, but it clearly does!

How did people react when you announced his name?

Notamused I like Gabe too.

SnapesOnAPlane Sun 21-Aug-11 20:28:56

I love it, beautiful name

WantingToBeAMrs Sun 21-Aug-11 20:33:37

All of my family love the name (female dominated though, if that makes a difference) except BIL who thought it was too "out there" but he chose both his DSs names out of the top 10 so they would fit in! DH's family also love it, as it was going to be my DH's name until he was born and it didn't suit him. We were very lucky with this especially as the family knew the name before the birth and it is much easier to criticise a name than an adorable baby with that name IYKWIM smile

WantingToBeAMrs Sun 21-Aug-11 20:34:58

Oh, and DS is monkey face Gabe for short grin

Ephiny Sun 21-Aug-11 21:13:14

I love it, and Gabe is a cute nickname.

Isn't it pronounced quite differently from Gabrielle? Wouldn't have thought it would be too confusing!

YouDoTheMath Sun 21-Aug-11 22:08:18

Agree Ephiny - kind of assumed most people had heard of the Biblical Gabriel and knew he was a fella...

(Mind you, are angels meant to be genderless or something...?)

Toobluntforboss Sun 21-Aug-11 22:09:17

I love it too and think Gabe is cool!

thisisyesterday Sun 21-Aug-11 22:12:15

it's lovely!

i have a Gabriel, and I;'ll be honest he does get called Gabrielle quite a lot hmm but that doesn't make me love it any less.

you'd be surprised by how many people claim never to have heard the name... really? Angel Gabriel? no?

but it's a fab name, and Gabe as a nickname totally rocks

InstantAtom Sun 21-Aug-11 22:21:26

I like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now