Talk

Advanced search

Leila, Ella, Alannah or Alexa?!

(18 Posts)
Leanbh2011 Sat 20-Aug-11 18:23:31

3 weeks to go and no name so please indulge me! Keep coming back to the following names but no single one jumps out. Surname is unusual enough- Trayer

- Leila
- Ella
- Alannah
- Alexa

Thanks for your feedback smile

floramckitchen Sat 20-Aug-11 19:41:48

I like Alexa from your list but what about........

Laura
Rosie
Ellie Mae
Poppy

PercyFilth Sat 20-Aug-11 20:19:00

I wouldn't choose a name ending with an -a, as it is much the same sound as the -er in the surname. Something with the rhythm of Elizabeth would sound good. (Penelope, Felicity, Evangeline - I'm sure people can come up with plenty more)

EskimoPie Sat 20-Aug-11 20:24:44

I agree; I think the names ending in -a tend to merge with the surname, also. So 'Ella Trayer' sounds a bit like 'Eritrea' (!)...

wearenotamused Sat 20-Aug-11 22:10:58

I tend to agree with others about the a thing, but it's not like it is awful.

I like Alexa though (prefer Alexia or Alexi tbh)
Alannah is nice though and there won't be many and I think the h (though silent) does make a different.

Charlotte, Florence, Catherine,Elisabeth and names like that would prob go well but may to slightly too traditional for you based on your names.

I think names -s or and e sound would probably go well. But I can't really think of any really good one that seem to be in the same ilk as your other names. How about. Eleri,Aoife,Bridie,Mhairi,Ffion,Ellie,Ellen,Grace,Molly,Millie,Rae,Alice

brodanbell Sat 20-Aug-11 23:21:56

Agree with others, I don't think you can go for names ending in -a, as they just run into the surname.

Just a few suggestions
Lucy
Liberty
Verity
Isabel
Madaleine
Holly
Scarlett
Grace
Zoe

Fatshionista Sat 20-Aug-11 23:39:10

I second Laura (my name) grin

Leila for me as there are too many Ella's and Alexa reminds me of hatchet faced Chung.

I have DD1 named Layla grin

Ephiny Sun 21-Aug-11 10:15:48

I think Alannah looks a bit odd spelled like that. Alana maybe?

I don't actually think the 'a' ending is necessarily a problem with your surname, especially with a slightly longer (3 syllable) name. Alana or Alexa Trayer sound fine to me.

Leanbh2011 Wed 24-Aug-11 16:14:21

It doesn't bother me too much about the "a" ending seeing as my own name ends in a! I do like Charlotte and Scarlett but DH rhymes them with "the harlot" so that kinda rules them out! Thanks for the suggestions

muminthemiddle Wed 24-Aug-11 16:24:07

I agree don't use the first 2 as they rhymn with your surname and sound a bit silly. So either of the last 2.

IHeartKingThistle Wed 24-Aug-11 16:29:25

Out of your list I prefer Alannah and Alexa, to go with your surname I think Alannah would be fab.

FairyArmadillo Wed 24-Aug-11 19:50:53

Alexa is one of my favourite girls' names.

Cereal Wed 24-Aug-11 19:53:15

I think Ella fits best with your surname.

PorkChopSter Wed 24-Aug-11 19:56:11

My DC surname also ends in "-er" and we avoided any a, ah, er ending first names.

Leila Trayer: cannot say this smile
Ella Trayer: Eritrea, definitely.
Alannah Trayer: sounds a bit like a disease (sorry)
Alexa Trayer: the best of these 4 but still I'd rethink the a ending names unless you can find a 3 or 4 syllable one. For example, with Victoria Trayer there is less blending from first to second name.

AmziePie Wed 24-Aug-11 19:56:16

I like Alexa the best out of the list but i think Ellen Trayer would sound cute!

smartyparts Wed 24-Aug-11 19:58:52

I like them all apart form Allanah, which I have an aversion to as it's Alan with an 'a' and I don't think anyone would call their child Alan!

carciofi Wed 24-Aug-11 20:46:01

I love Alannah, because of the meaning (darling child from the Irish "a leanbh").

carciofi Wed 24-Aug-11 20:47:16

Sorry, op, from your username, you must already know that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now