Talk

Advanced search

Finn short for? Opinions on Flynn - please

(15 Posts)
wearenotamused Fri 19-Aug-11 23:15:39

DH can't stand Finley/Finlay or any other variant of Finley.

But what else can Finn be short for?

Also spelling: Fin, Finn, Fyn ??

DH did suggest Flynn. Is that less popular? and what do people think about that? other sp are Flinn, Flin or Flyn.
But no long version for that (that we could think off)

Opinions please.

bramblina Fri 19-Aug-11 23:18:43

Why do you want it to be short for something if you actually like Finn as it is? Wouldn't you just use the name Finn? It's nice.

duckdodgers Fri 19-Aug-11 23:18:47

If you really like the name Finn why dont you just go for that? Why call a child Flynn if you intend to call him Finn.

MockingbirdsNotForSale Fri 19-Aug-11 23:19:30

Finnian, Phineas, Finnias, Fintan

Flynn I've only come across as a surname.

duckdodgers Fri 19-Aug-11 23:20:53

I do actually know a Flynn as well.

pointydog Fri 19-Aug-11 23:21:26

Finbar

EskimoPie Fri 19-Aug-11 23:21:42

Finnigan
Finnegan

wearenotamused Fri 19-Aug-11 23:27:46

Sorry (*duckdodgers*) to separate names. Either Finn (with long version if we find one we like) or Flynn just by itself (as no long version)

Sorry if that was confusing.

Opinions on either or.

duckdodgers Fri 19-Aug-11 23:31:36

Flynn is nice.

My DS 3 is called Finlay, at the end of the day its what you like that matters not everyone else isnt it!

We toyed with just calling him "Fin" but decided we liked Finlay better. If he wants to shorten it to Fin when hes older thats up to him! Would never have lumbered him with some of the longer suggestions here.

Iamkenny Sat 20-Aug-11 00:03:16

Finn is more popular (I think) With one n it looks definatly nn-ey

Flynn reminds me of home and away. But I think I like it slightly more than Finn

All other spellings look odd. execpt maybe Flinn. But people will spell it with a y.

I like them just on their own not as a nn for something as they easily stand alone.

mathanxiety Sat 20-Aug-11 04:11:37

Flynn is horrible, just a random surname used as a name. Makes me think of skinflint.

Finn is far nicer. It's a completely proper name all by itself, not short for anything. Or you could go with the Irish Fionn (pr Fyun)

Xavielli Sat 20-Aug-11 07:16:29

10 month old DS2 is Finn, if I would have given him an longer version it would have been Fintan.

Personally I think Flynn doesn't sound nice at all. In fact I don't like the 'fl' sound in any name.

Ephiny Sat 20-Aug-11 10:34:34

I think Finn is nice on its own, if you don't like the usual longer forms. Don't like Flynn at all as a first name.

pranma Sat 20-Aug-11 17:36:22

My dgs is Finn and is the most gorgeous little boy in my world smile

pranma Sat 20-Aug-11 17:37:05

He was nearly Finbar but they feared Barry as nn......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now