Talk

Advanced search

Name like Phyllis but not Phyllis

(17 Posts)
MrsRupertBear Fri 19-Aug-11 21:57:34

Sorry, me again. My grandmother who I was extremely close to, was called this name and now I am thinking that it would be nice to use it as a potential name for future DD. Although I loved my gran dearly, to me her name was a little hmm. Anyway, can you think of any other names that sound similar to this. If not, I will probabley use her middle name which was Marie. TIA smile

clawsatELVES Fri 19-Aug-11 21:59:22

Phyllida - like Emma Thompson's mum ?

clawsatELVES Fri 19-Aug-11 21:59:44

Felicia / Felicity ?

BranchingOut Fri 19-Aug-11 22:00:27

Iris
Phillippa
Phyllida
Ennis

VivaLeBeaver Fri 19-Aug-11 22:00:34

Phillipa

idealism Fri 19-Aug-11 22:00:40

philomena?

nevergoogle Fri 19-Aug-11 22:03:20

any chance she had a middle name?

shuckleberryfinn Fri 19-Aug-11 22:07:13

My mam is called Dilys and I used to think it was a bit weird (is welsh..) but now I love it, and Glynis. Why not call her phil or fliss for short? or give her phyllis as a middle name?

Alternatively a name with a similar origin as a nod to her would be a lovely sentiment. I had a great uncle by the name of Emlyn whom I adored. The name wasn't good for me so I gave my children other welsh names instead.

EdithWeston Fri 19-Aug-11 22:10:41

Iris, Doris, Gladys, Phylicia?

Apparently it means "greenery" and Phyllis in the Greek myths died for love and was turned into a tree. Would another tree/plant name be near enough?

TillyIpswitch Fri 19-Aug-11 22:16:03

Can you not just use Phyllis as your DD's middle name?

MrsOzz Fri 19-Aug-11 22:42:43

What about:
Phoebe Isis
Or Ffion Elissa

I'm sure you could think of better examples, but use a name with one part Ph and one part lyss! I like coming up with daft solutions!

MrsRupertBear Fri 19-Aug-11 22:55:45

Thanks everyone. There are some lovely suggestions there. I have been considering Felicity, Phillipa but also like the idea of using the two different parts of her name - thanks MrsOzz, great idea. Thanks everyone else too

PercyFilth Sat 20-Aug-11 20:24:55

I think you should either use Phyllis or not use it. Can't see how giving a different name is a tribute, except where it's a variation of the same name (eg Margaret, Marguerite, Margarita). Phyllida is the only one afaik.

If you don't like the name, go with Marie.

pranma Sun 21-Aug-11 21:12:41

I think Pyllis is lovely and vey unusual these days smile

GetOffOfMyCloud Mon 22-Aug-11 12:35:47

I would prefer Phyllis personally. Phyllida sounds a bit too much like philadelphia cheese to me, sorry. Perhaps use it as the middle name if your a bit hmm for the first name.

minipie Mon 22-Aug-11 18:09:49

Marie is lovely smile

VivClicquot Mon 22-Aug-11 19:37:06

My nan was called Phyllis, and my DD (4mo) is called Phoebe Alice. It wasn't actually intentional - Phoebe and Alice were just two names both DH and I loved - but as soon as I realised that it was similar, the decision was made smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now