Talk

Advanced search

Emmy/Emmie/Emmi/Emme??

(9 Posts)
wearenotamused Fri 19-Aug-11 13:01:08

How do people feel about having Emmy/Emmie/Emmi/Emme just as a first name by itself (not as a nn - as Emily/Emma we don't like)

Also preferred spelling please?

(also DH is american and we spend nearly half our time there so does that make a difference??)

YouDoTheMath Fri 19-Aug-11 13:06:11

Love it. Emmy is my personal preferred spelling - to me it looks more complete, somehow, like it's not short for something.

Not sure about the US thing. I know there is an Emmy awards ceremony, but not sure how it's spelt.

EverythingInMiniature Fri 19-Aug-11 13:06:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

calaminecovered Fri 19-Aug-11 13:07:29

I love the name, have a friend who spells it Emi.

YouDoTheMath Fri 19-Aug-11 13:11:06

Is Emmy Rossum's name short for anything? I don't think it sounds bad on an adult at all.

unoriginalname Fri 19-Aug-11 13:28:04

Hmm. I'm an Emma, and I love the nicknames but would hate to be straddled with a "nickname" as an adult. I wouldn't want to go into an interview and introduce myself as "Emmy" even though a lot of people do call me that!

Remember your little baby will grow up and baby names won't suit her so much then!

Iamkenny Fri 19-Aug-11 13:43:35

YouDoTheMath Emmy Rossum is Emmanuelle which I think is just a mouthful

JLo daughter is Emme but please not that spelling - It reminds me of rivers.

I like Emi but that is very nn-ie.

How about Amelia? or a name like that you could still do the Emmy/Emi thing.

Emmy is the award show but then it is also a name so I see no problem with having that Emmie looks boylike but maybe that is just me.

I wouldn't go down the Emma/emily I just think they are two popular.

They'd get called Em anyway which you can have as an adult

theworldspins Fri 19-Aug-11 16:56:38

I like it. It's sweet. not a fan of Emmie/Emme. Emmy is alright Emmi looks like it could be a foreign name so maybe not get as confused thinking it is a nn for something

Ephiny Fri 19-Aug-11 18:35:50

It's a nice nickname, but personally would not use as the full name. It does sound a bit like you're saying M.E. as well...

If you did, I think Emmy would be the best spelling, as at least it's clear how to pronounce (unlike Emme) and is a bit less cutesy/babyish than Emmie. Emmi just reminds me of all the Vicki, Nikki type 'alternatively-spelled' nicknames from the 80s!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now