Talk

Advanced search

Charlotte - nicknames,how popular and how pronounced?

(16 Posts)
Hope88 Thu 18-Aug-11 16:34:16

Hi, As I said above I was wondering about all the possible nicknames Charlotte could have. Can't really think of any.
Also how popular is this name now? Do you know any under 6 named Charlotte?
Finally I am not sure how to pronounce the end of the name. Is it LOT or LET?
Thank you very mcuh. smile

Clary Thu 18-Aug-11 16:37:40

Common nicknames include Lottie and derivatives or Charlie.

There is a Charlotte in most classes at my kids' primary. I can think of about 6 that I know well; youngest of those is 5 or 6 but that's because I don't know a lot of very young children (my youngest is 8). A former colleague called her daughter Charlotte and she must be about 3 by now.

So yes, it's pretty popular, and has been for a while.

Clary Thu 18-Aug-11 16:38:44

Sorry re pronunciation, you just say it Shar-lut IME. Stressing the Shar and swallowing the lotte so it's said lut.

magicmelons Thu 18-Aug-11 17:06:44

My friend charlotte is Cha Cha pronounced Sha sha, I prefer that to Lottie or Charlie.

magicmelons Thu 18-Aug-11 17:08:22

DD says her girls school has none smile but I know 2 babies called Charlotte both Lotties so possibly becoming more popular.

CurwySwide Thu 18-Aug-11 17:11:22

I know one under six year old called Charlotte (she is nearly three) and she is called by her full name.

JemimaMuddledUp Thu 18-Aug-11 17:15:03

There are 2 Charlottes in DS1's class (aged 8), both known by their full names.

SillyAssBlack Thu 18-Aug-11 17:28:13

I'd pronounce it Shar-lut. I've known it to be shortened to Charlie, Chuck and Lottie. HTH

Hope88 Fri 19-Aug-11 08:51:04

Thank you everyone. My feeling is that there are quite a lot of Charlottes aged 5 and older but it's declining now. Or am I wrong?

RamblingRosa Fri 19-Aug-11 08:58:33

I think it's a lovely name. I've also heard it shortened to Lotta (but come to think of it, that might have been short for Carlotta). I wouldn't worry too much about how popular it is. It's a classic name.

BikeRunSki Fri 19-Aug-11 09:08:30

I know about 3 under 4, but I only really know under 4 year olds, or their older siblings.

NN - Charlie, Char, Chas, Lottie, Lotte, Lola

Proun - Shar - lot.

wearenotamused Fri 19-Aug-11 13:34:05

Well it's Shar-lot but I've always said and know it to be said Shar-lut (the lut as in slut) but that is probably my accent.
I call by Best friend Char-la-loot as a nn

But normal ones are : Charlie, Lottie, Charl, Char, Carrie, Lola, Cherry, Cara, Chuck, Charles, Carly, Lettie, Charla

pinkgirlythoughts Fri 19-Aug-11 20:28:14

I know a toddler Charlotte, often called Lottie.
Pr. Shar-lut, but I knew a Londoner who said his daughter's name as shar-LOT (emphasis on the second syllable).

Crosshair Fri 19-Aug-11 20:30:15

At school a friend called Charlotte was Chaz.

LottieJenkins Fri 19-Aug-11 20:41:41

Im either called Lottie or Lots. I used to be called Charlie where i used to work years ago. There arent any Charlottes at the school where i work!!

nelly83 Fri 19-Aug-11 22:25:57

I like my name. i am charlie to my mates, and charlotte (shar lut) at work. i work in education ages 3-11 and there is only 1 charlotte! She is 7. Hth x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now