Talk

Advanced search

We don't like any girls' names. Help!

(37 Posts)
GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 18-Aug-11 09:29:33

So after the effort involved in choosing a boys' name, we're actually having a girl. Problem is, we don't like any names. DD was easy, we had a name we both loved and it was sorted at about 6 weeks! Our situation is thus...

I love Verity. DH detests it, won't hear of it, won't consider it.
DH loves Lydia. I used to love it, was second choice for DD but I'm now sick of the sound of it.
We both like Susannah but it's a "yeah that's ok" name rather than we both love it name. Plus we have a niece that we see lots and lots of called Anna, is it a bit too similar?

Other than that we have no ideas. We went through the entire National Stats list, right down to Zynah at 5707th! Didn't find anything we agreed on. If we can't decide from nearly 6000 names, what hope is there for us? <panic>

Iggly Thu 18-Aug-11 09:31:52

I know the feeling!

Take a break. Only write down five names without referring to anything after you've had a break. You get name blindness after staring at too many lists!

Quenelle Thu 18-Aug-11 09:38:16

I understand how you feel. We're TTC #2 atm and I know we'll struggle to find a name we like. I picked a boy's and a girl's name for #1 who turned out to be a boy, and I've gone off the girl's name now.

Perhaps stop thinking about it for a while. Maybe inspiration will strike when you see your DD for the first time?

InstantAtom Thu 18-Aug-11 09:38:56

If you both like Susannah that's a good start! Susie is a nice nickname too. I don't think it's too similar to Anna.

How about Serena, Lucy, Emma, Carina, Georgia, Aurora, Iona, Juliet, Hannah?

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 18-Aug-11 09:40:30

Yeah you're both right. It's doing my head in because I like to have these things sorted. I couldn't cope with still debating it on the way to the registry office! I'm such a control freak blush

You know when you say your own name over and over again it starts to sound really silly after a while? That's how I feel now.

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 18-Aug-11 09:42:30

Lucy, Emma and Georgia are on the Possibles List. smile My head aches...

lockets Thu 18-Aug-11 10:47:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YouDoTheMath Thu 18-Aug-11 10:50:46

I know what you mean about going through names' lists only to find nothing strikes you.

Certainly for me, name books/lists are no help whatsoever. They're just words on a page. I need to "try" the name in real life, rather like I need to try clothes on/see someone else wearing them rather than just buying them off the hanger.

Something will grab you. Go through stories/films you like for character names, keep an eye on the credits of TV programmes, think of people you admire (not necessarily celebs!), people you work with, browse Facebook friends and their friends.

You'll know it when you get the right name, and you won't feel halfhearted about it.

SaffronCake Thu 18-Aug-11 14:56:06

Being overwhelmed by the name lists happens to most parents I think. Forget everything you've read and wait until you meet her. I know for a lot of people this seems too risky and too late but you do have ages and ages to settle on the name after she arrives (6 weeks) and giving yourself a day or two to familliarise yourself with her face might inspire you.

pranma Thu 18-Aug-11 15:53:27

I know a Susannah nn Sukey which is unusual.

ShoutyHamster Thu 18-Aug-11 15:55:58

Linnet.

I love this, and it is so underused.

A character in the children's book The Children Of Green Knowe (series, actually).

I reckon that could work if you were looking for the Missing Link between Lydia and Verity.

oohlaalaa Thu 18-Aug-11 16:31:18

Susannah, shortened to Suzie is a fab name.

My best friend in school was Suzie.

oohlaalaa Thu 18-Aug-11 16:31:38

I like Verity, DH hates it.

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 18-Aug-11 16:33:38

I can't do that Saffron, I just can't. I wish I could but it's bringing me out in hives thinking about leaving it till then!

cece Thu 18-Aug-11 16:36:26

We had Verity lined up as a name for DS2 but he was a boy and Lydia was on the list too, so for what it is worth here are some of the names from our lists for our three children...

Thea
or
Alethea
or
Althea

Una
Anna
Esme
Eve
Helen(a)
Esther
Annie
Ruth

cece Thu 18-Aug-11 16:37:00

oh and also Sara or Sadie

MockingbirdsNotForSale Thu 18-Aug-11 16:44:42

Names we considered:

Bridget
India
Neala
Julia

MockingbirdsNotForSale Thu 18-Aug-11 16:45:12

Would your DH like Felicity instead of Verity? Kind of similar names

Milliways Thu 18-Aug-11 16:56:36

I had a friend called Sarannah - variation on Susannah?

magicmelons Thu 18-Aug-11 16:57:41

What about Felicity nn fliss its like Verity but prettier IMO. or Esther or Alice? I feel your pain.

DorisIsAPinkDragon Thu 18-Aug-11 16:59:27

I have aLydia (tbh not keen on Verity tho')

Other names we considered beatrice, Alys, Florence, Flora, Rose, Annabelle, Emily, Martha,

Tbh I LOVE the name Lydia and am so glad we choose it for dd2 (I think it's the best of my 3 dd#'s names)

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 18-Aug-11 17:39:47

Felicity is the reason DH hates Verity. He seems them both as a name for a certain person...the fact that that certain person are the sort of people he grew up with has passed him by grin

I did really love Lydia, really. But because it was a runner up name for DD1 it's been in our consciousness for 4 years and it's lost its spark.

I love Helena but it's my boss's name and although she's lovely, it's an arse licking step too far grin

MockingbirdsNotForSale Thu 18-Aug-11 17:43:04

How about Elana? Close to Helena, pretty, but not arse licking!

ilovedjasondonovan Thu 18-Aug-11 17:45:59

We had a perfect name for our DD. Then DD2 came along and we just couldn't decide on a name. I wanted Rebecca, DH wanted Sandra. Both were hated by the other.
In the end we chose Madeleine just because we had to call her something. not a name I love, but 3 years later I still dont' love it, but its just a name and I love my DD2 so it doesn't really matter what she's called.

AlpiniAddict Fri 19-Aug-11 14:30:50

My DDs are Ava Jean and Violet May. DH didn't like either but gave in and now really likes them. I also liked:-
Mary
Lila
Lydia
Annie
Isabel
Elizabeth
Martha
Matilda

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now