Talk

Advanced search

Thomas or Toby?

(18 Posts)
BlobTheGreat Wed 17-Aug-11 19:58:49

We recently found out we are having another little boy (already had ds age 4 called Joseph). I love Thomas, Dh like it but says it's a bit boring. He prefers Toby which I like but I can't imagine a grown up Toby, seems a bit cutesy for an adult. Which do you prefer?

BlobTheGreat Wed 17-Aug-11 20:00:36

Joseph incidentally says neither, 'he's not Thomas Tank Engine he's a baby' hmm. Thought it best not to tell him that other names on the short list are Edward and Henry! lol

CurwySwide Wed 17-Aug-11 20:09:49

I like Thomas a lot - I would go with Tom for everyday use though - yes it is popular but that is because it is a really good name and suits both child and adult.

Not keen on Toby and don't like Edward - think that is a bit dull sorry. Henry is a great name however!

BlobTheGreat Wed 17-Aug-11 20:13:38

Oooh thank you, mixed reaction to all of them! I am leaning away from Edward apparently it's becomming very popular but then Thomas is very popular too but it doesn't bother me with that name for some reason! I like traditional 'normal' names obviously and I'm not sure Toby fits with Joseph.

EskimoPie Wed 17-Aug-11 20:27:19

I have a grown up cousin Toby and it suits him to the ground. Great name - love it.

You could go the whole hog and use Tobias too smile

cece Wed 17-Aug-11 20:28:04

Tom smile

supadupapupascupa Wed 17-Aug-11 20:29:35

Tom / Thomas / Tomtom / Tommy / Tomchui

everytime grin

CurwySwide Wed 17-Aug-11 20:30:25

Have you thought about Benjamin/Ben? Or Matthew? Samuel? Daniel? All traditional - and I think they go really nicely with Joseph - particularly Samuel.

Just a thought!

BlobTheGreat Wed 17-Aug-11 20:39:24

Not as keen on Samuel and I love Matthew but I married a Mr Matthews so not a good combination grin. Love Daniel but it's my brother's name so not sure about that. Lots of lovely names out there though so thank you for the input!

YouDoTheMath Wed 17-Aug-11 20:44:25

Personally I think Thomas is far too common.

Toby is cool, though. And Toby Stevens is a grown up Toby and he's laaarvly.

CurwySwide Wed 17-Aug-11 20:45:48

Definitely Thomas/Tom then! grin

InstantAtom Wed 17-Aug-11 20:52:15

Thomas, Edward and Henry are all very nice. Prefer them all to Toby which doesn't seem such a down-to-earth name.

SaffronCake Thu 18-Aug-11 14:46:19

Thomas is "common" because it's a good name and a lot of people like it. it's got plenty of nickname potential, it's playground proof, people can spell it and it wont date badly. Likewise Edward and Henry. I'm not so keen on Henry myself, Edward's popularity peak lately seems to be connected to the Twighlight films so that shifts the category a bit, from traditional to fashionable, but Thomas is popular because it's just good.

Since my favorite traditional name (Matthew) is out Thomas is the one IMO. I think Thomas Matthews and Joseph Matthews goes fine.

cece Thu 18-Aug-11 16:23:50

Thomas/Tom is not common it is popular. The reason it is popular is because it is a lovely name smile

Not that I am biased on anything wink

Firawla Thu 18-Aug-11 21:41:05

I like Thomas more than Toby, it might be quite common but I have not really seen that many baby Thomases so wouldn't say it is soooo common? Toby is alright but I like Henry and Edward more aswel

BeanaReena Sat 20-Aug-11 23:13:46

I like both but prefer Thomas a little more. I like Toby more as an nn for Tobias. Congratulations on your little boy.
smile

sparkleshine Sat 20-Aug-11 23:25:47

Love Thomas.
My Thomas has been called every nickname you can think of. It suited him as a baby, now as a toddler and it's great for adult.

Oh and I only know 1 other adult Thomas, there isn't any at his nursery.

Like Toby as well though. Would probably have Tobias on birth cert though.

Not keen on Edward or Henry. Benjamin is lovely.

lolajane2009 Sun 21-Aug-11 14:47:50

I like Thomas. I do however love Edward as my LO will be called Edward when his born in the next few weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now