Talk

Advanced search

First initials in the immediate family

(15 Posts)
YouDoTheMath Wed 17-Aug-11 13:33:26

Sorry if this comes up twice - for some reason it didn't show last time.

DD1s first name begins with the same letter as my first name.

Most of the names I like for our next DD begin with that same letter, too, and I sort of feel as though I should steer clear of them, even though I like them, because there will be three females whose names start with the same letter in our immedaite family.

Even when I had DD1, people commented "oooh, it will be confusing when the post arrives..."

So if you were in this situation, would it bother you enough to avoid the names you liked?

SaffronCake Wed 17-Aug-11 13:39:08

Simples, my post comes addressed to Mrs. A. B Connor*, my daughter is Miss A. Z. Connor and if I had a son I wanted to call Adam or something he'd be Mr A Connor or have to have an initial that wasn't B or Z in the middle, so the prefixes sort it out for now, backed up by the initials. When they get old enough to have very private post, like bank statements, they will just have to make sure thier post comes with the right prefix and initials or risk Mum reading it.

*Fake names used.

MrsCarriePooter Wed 17-Aug-11 14:27:08

I had the same initial as both my parents and we did get post sometimes addressed to C Pooter. You cannot always control what companies will put on their mailing lists.

I'd just avoid going as far as a family I know of J's - dad is J...., children are J[longer version of same name] and J[very similar female name], daughter married a man called J[same name, different spelling, as her father], and they have two children whose names both begin with J.

YouDoTheMath Wed 17-Aug-11 14:41:16

Blimey Carrie, that's a lot of Js!

I suppose it would discourage the children from signing up to anything dodgy which might be stumbled across by mummy in the post ;) And from maxing out credit cards!

MsChanandlerBong Wed 17-Aug-11 14:43:44

I know some people raise this as an issue with the post, however, things are increasingly moving to online billing, mobile comms, etc, so really how much post do we all get? Plus, I imagine it is a minor irritation rather than a disaster?

Personally, if your favourite names begin with the same letter as your/DD's name, I would go for it. I can't imagine in 15 years time you standing there, having opened the wrong letter saying "oh I wish I had called her something completely different" iyswim.

YouDoTheMath Wed 17-Aug-11 14:48:07

You're right MsBong hadn't thought of that re the emails etc.

Kayano Wed 17-Aug-11 19:44:02

I hate alliteration. I hate it

GlaikitFizzog Wed 17-Aug-11 19:48:09

Family I know have 4 daughters, Jennifer, Jillian, Jemma and Joanna. Mum Jill, dad John.

Personal choice this one. If you favorite name begins with the same letter, go for it.

EskimoPie Wed 17-Aug-11 20:25:33

As long as you don't get carried away like this lot:

www.duggarfamily.com

...you'll be okay smile

helendigestives Wed 17-Aug-11 22:12:22

Me and my partner have the same initial, so it's something we've either got to go for or avoid...

muminthemiddle Thu 18-Aug-11 00:07:45

It seems to arise a lot with the letter J for some reason. I know quite a few "J" families.

PortBlacksandIsLovelyInAutumn Thu 18-Aug-11 00:22:29

What is rather lovely is that the four members of my immediate family's initials spell out the word ARSE - which is fun at it's best when we go bowling and put our initials on screen grin <childish>

PortBlacksandIsLovelyInAutumn Thu 18-Aug-11 00:25:07

Oh and we have mugs with our initials on which we hang 'innocently' in the kitchen....

lolajane2009 Thu 18-Aug-11 00:50:36

Just don't have a father and son with identical initials, both my hubby and his father are Mr P.J and it is confusing and was told in no uncertain terms when I knew I was having a boy it wouldn't be another P.J.

YouDoTheMath Thu 18-Aug-11 10:39:45

Port you sound like my sort of gal ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now