Talk

Advanced search

Matilda - just how popular is it?

(38 Posts)
CurwySwide Wed 17-Aug-11 08:59:17

I have loved this name for years - it has become more popular recently and is now in the middle or thereabouts of the top 100 girls' names charts and the most common response to it on this board is that is 'too popular/faddy' etc.

I don't know any Matildas at all - how many do you know if you don't mind me asking? Thank you!

scarlettlips Wed 17-Aug-11 09:03:41

Hi Curwy I've only met 1 Matilda she's about 14months.

I LOVED my DD's name for years and years..thankfully my husband agreed. So I was delighted when we had her so I could use it. If you love Matilda than pick Matilda xxx

scarlettlips Wed 17-Aug-11 09:05:19

Should of said we live in SW London

monstermissy Wed 17-Aug-11 09:06:59

my friend has just named their baby Matilda, i love it. Havent heard of any others though. We are in south east.

CurwySwide Wed 17-Aug-11 09:51:50

Thank you for your responses - it's really good to hear others' opinions/feedback. I really don't think I would be swayed by popularity, but it's good to know all the same.

InstantAtom Wed 17-Aug-11 09:53:06

I think it can seem popular/faddy as it sprung from very unpopular to quite popular fairly quickly. Having said that I only know one Matilda/Tilly and another with Matilda as middle name.

Personally, I'm afraid I still think of Matilda as a rather clunky name along with other "ilda" or "elda" names like Hilda, Clotilda, Griselda, Brunhilda.

However lots of people seem to like it, and if you love it then use it!

pinkgirlythoughts Wed 17-Aug-11 10:03:56

I know one, she's 4, but I know lots of Tilly/Tillies (nicknames without the long name are much more common where I live). Like instant said, people often describe it as faddy because it's had a big leap in popularity very quickly.

CurwySwide Wed 17-Aug-11 10:12:30

We would keep with Matilda - maybe Tilda - though I realise that nicknames would be out of my hands pretty quickly once she was at school!

Thank you

tammytoby Wed 17-Aug-11 11:37:07

Very popular. Why don't you have a look at last years ONS statistics?

tammytoby Wed 17-Aug-11 11:38:08

Also, lots of girls called Tilly or Tilda (quoted separately on ONS site) might be Matildas, so may be more pooular than the statistics suggest.

Chocolocolate Wed 17-Aug-11 11:39:36

Thanks for starting this thread CurwySwide - we've been wondering exactly the same thing!

Love the name Matilda but worried as everyone on MN seems to say it's really popular. We're worried that when we have our first (due November) and he/she goes to nursery, the nursery will be overrun with little Matildas.

We live in the Midlands, but spend a lot of time in North Yorkshire and I don't know any.

MockingbirdsNotForSale Wed 17-Aug-11 12:23:56

I know of 2, one 20 months old and one 10 months. When I went to school there were 4 girls in my year and 3 of us had the same name. It did not matter. Anyway all 3 of us used the names differently iyswim. I really do not think that children assign new nicknames at school. Nn's for Matilda I like Tilda for older and Mattie for younger.

YouDoTheMath Wed 17-Aug-11 12:30:59

I know a two year old called Matilda.

CharlieBoo Wed 17-Aug-11 12:33:00

It's popular where I am (bucks), but if popular doesn't bother you then go for it. It's just not different anymore.

CurwySwide Wed 17-Aug-11 12:54:26

Thanks all for your responses. I don't mind that it's not 'different' - and at no. 53 on the ONS charts it's not actually that 'common' either. It's just a great name!

Chocolocolate - go for it - and good luck for November!

SaffronCake Wed 17-Aug-11 13:30:08

I've never met one. My DD age 11 says she's come across 2, but one uses Tilly.

PippiLongBottom Wed 17-Aug-11 13:42:29

I am in Manchester and know five, all under age five. It was my 2nd choice namefor dd who is 9. We went with Madeleine. I hate to say it but the name is crossing all class demographics now.

5GoMadOnAZ650 Wed 17-Aug-11 13:45:33

I don't know any (norfolk) but do have a Tilly myself.

hollyw Wed 17-Aug-11 17:16:35

My friend has just called her daughter Matilda and I know of one other on another forum

redglow Wed 17-Aug-11 19:21:28

I have come across three and I think it is a lovely name I like delilah too.

LifeOfKate Wed 17-Aug-11 21:36:14

I've never met or heard about one, except on here, I live in the east midlands. That's the thing about popularity lists, every second child could be called Matilda in one area and absolutely none in another. Olivia is the top name at the moment and I've also never met one. On the other hand, Georgia is in the 50s in the charts and I know 2 under the age of 1.

CurwySwide Wed 17-Aug-11 21:39:48

Thanks all - really appreciate it.

LifeofKate - that is so true actually - I don't know any little boys called Jack or Oliver but there must be a lot of them somewhere!

Gleek Wed 17-Aug-11 21:44:04

I live in Surrey/SW London and have one, she's almost 3 and a half. None at her nursery or other groups we attend, I do know of one other Matilda and she is about 10months old but doesn't live locally.

I think you just have to go for a name you like, it's really only school years where it can become obvious if a name is very popular. Once you're at work (most of your life!) you're with such a wide range of ages I think it becomes completely irrelevant.

LifeOfKate Wed 17-Aug-11 21:57:33

That's very true, Gleek. We're at school for a relatively short amount of time, so it shouldn't really matter. I do also think that we choose names from a much larger pool now than we used to, so the worry that there will be 20 other kids in the same class is less relevant too as there are more names used overall. People were very 'safe' when naming babies in previous generations.

LifeOfKate Wed 17-Aug-11 21:58:55

PS, I clicked on this thread because I LOVE the name Matilda but DH has vetoed sad So please please use it, if only for me grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now