Talk

Advanced search

Ella - how to pronounce properly?

(25 Posts)
sidorek Wed 17-Aug-11 01:25:33

I could swear that I can hear a slighty longer "l" in that name, but someone is trying to convince me that there is just short "l" there... Any thoughts?
Double or single L?

freerangeeggs Wed 17-Aug-11 02:22:15

I don't understand... are you asking if it's pronounced Ellllllllla? Because no, it's just pronounced like Ella. Double-L makes the same sound as single-L.

HerRoyalNotness Wed 17-Aug-11 02:30:20

L-ah

AlfalfaMum Wed 17-Aug-11 02:38:20

Just like Bella without the B

TillyIpswitch Wed 17-Aug-11 04:55:49

What? confused

'l' sounds exactly the same as 'll'.

Thumbwitch Wed 17-Aug-11 05:06:27

If you think you can hear a distinction between El-a and Ell-a, then you have either got amazing hearing or you're imagining it. Ditto the person trying to convince you of the short "l".

It's not like s, where a double sound is different from a single.

Try this - do you say Pott-er or Pot-ter, with a double tonguing on the t? Bet you don't. Bet you don't say El-la with a double tongue action either.

InstantAtom Wed 17-Aug-11 08:26:37

If you were Italian there'd be a slightly longer l. But in English the l is not especially long.

tammytoby Wed 17-Aug-11 11:36:09

OK, if there was one 'l' it would be Ela, pronounced EEla.

With two 'l's it is Ella, pronounced Ell-a.

Don't see the confusion hmm

YouDoTheMath Wed 17-Aug-11 12:33:05

Ella rhymes with Fella, Bella, teller... don't see how else it could be pronounced.

PippiLongBottom Wed 17-Aug-11 12:36:12

Unless you live in Manchester where it is pronounced Ell-ohh. The ohh as in fox.

wink

hocuspontas Wed 17-Aug-11 12:39:20

Elle would be slightly longer. Eleanor similar. Ella - what everyone else is saying, no ambiguity there!

Thumbwitch Wed 17-Aug-11 12:42:58

Tammyboy, this isn't about spelling, it's about pronunciation.

SaffronCake Wed 17-Aug-11 13:48:00

Is it a biggy if not everyone pronounces it identically? Say it however you usually say Bella, fella and teller, I'm sure people will understand you.

Lonnie Wed 17-Aug-11 15:54:46

It depends on how well people pronounciate in my opinion you can say it like El La or like L ah in the first it would be 2 L's both pronounced in the 2nd only 1 L either way is correct to pronounce the name

Thumbwitch Wed 17-Aug-11 16:08:20

Lonnie - seriously? Have you tried to say El'la, separating the two Ls? it sounds completely contrived and isn't that easy.

PercyFilth Wed 17-Aug-11 18:40:45

it sounds completely contrived

Beg to differ: it sounds Italian. In Italian, when there is a double consonant, both letters are pronounced. E.g. cap-pel-la.

Bandwithering Wed 17-Aug-11 18:54:47

well in spanish it be eya or elya

but we're speaking english here right?!!? so ela, ella - the same

MsChanandlerBong Wed 17-Aug-11 19:27:27

If I try and pronounce both Ls I sounds like I am having an asthma attack!!
I have never heard it pronounced anything other than like Bella, Teller - regional accents or not.

Lonnie Thu 18-Aug-11 00:13:33

Lonnie - seriously? Have you tried to say El'la, separating the two Ls? it sounds completely contrived and isn't that easy.

yes it is how my friend pronounces her Ella's name it is actually quite easy imo you just say the two letters two adn two el la and no I dont think it is contrived at all but I do think itis easy. The other Ella I know is L ah

Thumbwitch Thu 18-Aug-11 00:28:32

Percy Filth - no you don't, you don't say cap pel la. It all runs together very smoothly but with slight delay on the double letters. You would pretty much need to aspirate between each syllable to do what you are suggesting and as MsChanandler says, it sounds asthmatic.

Same thing to you Lonnie - if you break the word up into El la it sounds like two words, you need to use your tongue twice on the roof of your mouth, it's not easy to do.

MrsShrekTheThird Thu 18-Aug-11 00:40:57

Thumb - perfectly put (as usual)
I'l go cos she's said it far better than I could grin

PerryCombover Thu 18-Aug-11 00:48:31

TBH

I would call her Ellen all the time

a) because I adore the name
b) because it irritates the hell out of people

mybrainsthinkingfuckyou Thu 18-Aug-11 01:57:59

Ella- how to pronounce properly?

Practise Rihanna on you tube karaoke-style

Under my umbrella-ella-ella

grin

HTH

PercyFilth Thu 18-Aug-11 15:52:44

Thumbwitch That's what I meant - aurally it comes across as lingering over the double consonant, I didn't mean to suggest an actual break between the letters.

This is not a conversation that can effectively be held in writing. smile

MsChanandlerBong Thu 18-Aug-11 15:55:41

Actually, on reflection, I can elongate the Ls in Ella without sounding like I am having an asthma attack, but only if I try and put on a Welsh accent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now