Advanced search

Girl's names I like

(22 Posts)
TheRealMBJ Tue 16-Aug-11 23:09:28

Tabitha
Anna
Georgina
Juniper
Matilda (although not a contender as way too popular at the moment)
Roberta
Aurora (DH won't allow this one)

Opinions and suggestions please

EdithWeston Tue 16-Aug-11 23:14:22

I love Tabitha and Anna! And like Georgina and Matilda. Aurora is OK but I don't like Roberta (sorry).

Juniper, aside from "did you nip 'er?', is strongly associated with the chracter of a tree-nymph in the Percy Jackson books - probably not the strongest or most durable association, but the one that will spring to mind right now if you have children of say 9+ around.

Crosshair Tue 16-Aug-11 23:14:46

Tabitha is my favourite from your list.

TheRealMBJ Tue 16-Aug-11 23:15:53

Mine too smile

iceandsliceplease Tue 16-Aug-11 23:16:24

I LOVED Aurora as a name! Until my SIL said 'oooh, just like a Disney princess!' Still love it, just hate that people might think of a plasticky pink barbie doll.

Have you considered Serena? Or Cordelia?

manicinsomniac Tue 16-Aug-11 23:18:24

Love - Matilda
Like - Georgina, Anna, Juniper
Meh - Tabitha
Dislike - Aurora, Roberta

TheRealMBJ Tue 16-Aug-11 23:19:08

Is it a Disney Princess name? Oh god, strike it off. Serena Williams not for me and I like Cordelia but it will always have the sad Shakespearean connotations for me..

iceandsliceplease Tue 16-Aug-11 23:24:44

I think Sleeping Beauty was Aurora? Not sure, I wasn't a Disney girl!

Agree on Cordelia - love the name, hate the connotations (also DD was born with cord around her neck).

I like Matilda - I don't think it's that popular, either.

Delilah?
Meryl?
Mariella?

iceandsliceplease Tue 16-Aug-11 23:28:01

Just seen your other post, so to keep the growing theme going -
Fleur?
Posy?
Blossom?

pippibluestocking Tue 16-Aug-11 23:33:49

I have a Matilda, it really isn't that popular, only one other in her large primary school

TheRealMBJ Wed 17-Aug-11 06:01:09

I really dislike 'flower' names and names ending in a 'ee' sounding ending. I'm difficult, I know.

Maybe it is just here then, but we live near a very small town and there are 3 new Matildas born this year that I know of..

TheRealMBJ Wed 17-Aug-11 06:02:15

blush excise the lack of grammatical sense in the first sentence above. It's too early.

tummytickler Wed 17-Aug-11 07:24:14

I love, love, love Roberta. I have a thing for feminised male names (Ernestine, Thomasina, Gregoria) but dh thinks I am mental! I can't think of anything cuter than a little girl with the nn Bertie!
Also like Tabitha and Georgina.
Much prefer Anne to Anna.
Not keen on the others, and dislike Matilda only because the nn Tilly is so awful (though Tilda is lovely)

sailorsgal Wed 17-Aug-11 07:31:02

I really like Georgina, but heared the name Thomasina on tv last night and thought it was lovely.

SaulGood Wed 17-Aug-11 07:31:21

Matilda isn't that popular, you just live in a pocket of them. It's actually peaked in popularity and slipping back down the charts. I have one and there are no others in her v large primary school and were none in her preschool either. Never met another one in any class/group either.

I cannot bear Tilly either. It's so twee. But dd is a Tilda which suits her fabulously.

Anna I like too but prefer Annie. My favourite aunt was Annie Miriam and I think this has swayed me a bit.

YouDoTheMath Wed 17-Aug-11 12:35:09

Shame about Aurora - love it.

Not so keen on the others, apart from Georgina, which is fairly popular I think.

InstantAtom Wed 17-Aug-11 12:45:45

Georgina, Anna and Aurora all very nice smile

Tabitha - strange-sounding, cat's name
Anna - lovely smile
Georgina - lovely smile
Juniper - pretty but wouldn't use as reminds me of gin
Matilda - don't like
Roberta - like, quite unusual
Aurora - lovely smile

TheRealMBJ Thu 18-Aug-11 06:31:31

Amended list (in order of my preference)

Tabitha
Anna
Georgina
Aurora
Juniper (it might be my hormones though - I'm really starting to like this)
Greta (forgot about this one)
Matilda
Roberta
Ernistine

Any others?

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 18-Aug-11 06:39:52

Tabitha is my fave.
Francesca?

MorallyBankrupt Thu 18-Aug-11 19:10:34

I love love love Juniper.

ragged Thu 18-Aug-11 19:17:30

Juniper? Ernistine? shock
Tabitha is a cat.
Anna is lovely but probably a bit dull/boring, too.
I like Roberta with Bobbie as nn a lot.
I don't know a single Matilda and good job too.

Ephiny Thu 18-Aug-11 20:44:44

I like Tabitha and Anna from your list. Greta is OK too. Not keen on the others, sorry but Juniper sounds a bit silly to me, and Ernestine/Roberta/Georgina are ugly and a bit masculine IMO.

But then I generally dislike feminised male names...so probably my tastes are completely different from yours!

Along those lines - Michaela, Alexandra, Davida, Danielle/a, Gabrielle/a?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now