Talk

Advanced search

Thoughts on: Athena, Alethea, Artemis and Juno for a girl

(70 Posts)
sanserif Tue 16-Aug-11 13:42:15

So we want to go with an Ancient Greek or Roman (pref Greek) name since DH is 1/2 Greek and his name's Greek and our son has an Ancient Greek name. We've got a boy's name, I think, but am struggling to settle on a girl's name with less than a month to go!

Thoughts? Does Alethea just sound like you have a lisp and are trying to say Alicia? Is Artemis too hippy-dippy (goddess of the hunt/wilderness)? DH thinks Athena is too common.

MelinaM Tue 16-Aug-11 14:04:13

I absolutely love Artemissmile ...not hippy-dippy at all!

I like Athena but the poster retailer of the same name springs to mindgrin

Alethea is nice too, no, no lisp sound for me! Not a fan of Juno I'm afraid ...due to a certain film!

magicmelons Tue 16-Aug-11 14:08:19

I love Thea and your Alethea could be a Thea. The others are lovely too.

hermioneweasley Tue 16-Aug-11 14:09:29

Another vote for Artemis

Iggly Tue 16-Aug-11 14:16:39

Aletha does sound like you have a lisp.

Selene and Theia are nice!

scarlettlips Tue 16-Aug-11 16:08:30

I know 1 Athena and 1 Artemis...both are just lovely lovely little girls. The Artemis I know is Greek.

Not so keen on Juno..

scarlettlips Tue 16-Aug-11 16:09:15

Sorry OP Alethea or Athena..!?!?!

SilveryMoon Tue 16-Aug-11 16:11:50

I love Athena

sanserif Tue 16-Aug-11 16:20:35

scarlettlips -- yes am considering both names. Hmm, so far noone's voting for Juno.

CurwySwide Tue 16-Aug-11 16:23:13

I'm voting for Juno - love it!

Iggly Tue 16-Aug-11 16:23:45

Juno doesn't sound much like a girl to me TBH.

ExitPursuedByATroll Tue 16-Aug-11 16:25:34

Love Artemis.

And Juno

sanserif Tue 16-Aug-11 16:31:34

Iggly, in a way that's what I like about it. Juno makes me see a spunky, tomboyish type. With Athena I see elegant, considered. Alethea, not really sure but a bit girly maybe and with Artemis I don't really have a clear image of anything.

Iggly Tue 16-Aug-11 16:34:55

Fair enough! I think it's a lot stronger compared to your other choices - interested why you went for Juno in your list?

LaTristesse Tue 16-Aug-11 17:01:05

I'm going to say any of the others, purely because I want to keep Juno all for myself!

monkeycat Tue 16-Aug-11 17:06:36

I know a grown up Artemis and think it's a great name .
I also know a family with an Athena and an Ariadne .

I really like Juno - I know what you mean about it's strength , I think Artemis has that going for it too , since she was the godess of hunting .

Alethea is nice but ,yes , I think it could be a bit lispy .

Other greek girls' name you may want to consider : Callista/ Callisto , Io , Xanthe , Hera .

InstantAtom Tue 16-Aug-11 17:26:30

I like Artemis and Athena.

InstantAtom Tue 16-Aug-11 17:34:54

Aurora, Estella, Ianthe and Aurelia nice too smile

AlmaMartyr Tue 16-Aug-11 18:00:57

I like them all. We loved Juno but were put off by knowing a couple born at around the same time (not long after the film). Artemis is lovely, and Athena. I'm not too keen on Alethea, it sounds a bit too wispy (although I like Thea).

I've always liked Calliope/Andromeda/Penelope.

brodanbell Tue 16-Aug-11 18:10:16

I like Athena best, pretty and elegant - I don't think it is common at all, but then I don't know any Greek families so maybe it is in Greek communities.

Not keen on Alethea - bit of a mouthful, and Juno is I'm indifferent to.

Maybe I am way off here, but to me Artemis sounds like it should be a boys name?

minipie Tue 16-Aug-11 18:10:23

Artemis and Juno are my favourites from your OP.

How about Ariadne, Phoebe, Thea, Dione, Selene/Selena, Maia, Thalia, Helena?

Empusa Tue 16-Aug-11 18:11:26

I love these!

Trying to persuade DH on Persephone atm smile

MightyAphrodite Tue 16-Aug-11 18:20:38

DD2 is an Alkisti (a Greek version of Alceste, I suppose) and a lot of English relatives call her Alice, which is Aliki in Greek. I like Alkioni too.

tammytoby Tue 16-Aug-11 18:34:05

I really like Artemis and Athena.

sanserif Tue 16-Aug-11 20:05:14

Yes, I think I'm liking Alethea less. I like that all the others are real (ok, not real) figures whereas Alethea just means truth. I think maybe Juno seems like the 'strongest' b/c it ends in an O which is traditionally more a boy's name ending and Artemis maybe also sounds a bit androgynous because it doesn't end in a vowel. That doesn't bother me though.

I like Io but an acquaintance's little girl has that name, so would be difficult. Also like Calliope and Andromeda but maybe both a bit of a mouthful. Aurora's not bad too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now