Talk

Advanced search

Can't agree on a name!!

(13 Posts)
Mumsie76 Mon 15-Aug-11 19:40:00

I'm 27 weeks pregnant and we can't decide on any names!! The OH likes Jack and Thomas for boys which I like but I prefer Finley. For girls I have a long list (Molly, Emily, Amelia and Eve are just a few)but I have been over ruled not only by the OH but by our 2 daughters as well and they have told me that it is Ava Grace!!!

greenzebra Mon 15-Aug-11 19:47:39

you've got time. maybe put your top ten names each for a boy in a hat and draw them out and do the same for the girls, you never you may get match. And it may help you both discuss what you like and dislike about names.

InstantAtom Mon 15-Aug-11 19:57:48

I'd go for the most classic of the names you've listed. Thomas for a boy, Amelia or Emily for a girl smile

Jack and Molly are nicknames and quite "in fashion". Eve is extremely popular along with Evie/Eva/Ava.

Ephiny Mon 15-Aug-11 20:06:37

Ava Grace is very pretty, some might say a bit over-popular at the moment, don't know if that matters to you?

Personally I like Thomas or Finlay from your boy names, Emily from the girl list.
IMO Molly is a nickname, Eve is OK but seems a bit short and dull to me, Amelia old-fashioned and too fussy and 'frilly' with a bit of a whiny sound. I think Emily is lovely.

Do you plan to find out the baby's sex before the birth? That would at least narrow things down a bit smile But I understand not everyone wants to know!

weepootle Mon 15-Aug-11 20:11:34

Much prefer Jack and Thomas to Finley. Amelia is the only one I like from your girls list, Emily is nice... just a bit boring and safe. Eve is really boring and nn Evie totally overdone.

Never been keen on Ava and I'm sick to death of hearing Grace as a middle name, please find something more original.

tammytoby Mon 15-Aug-11 21:06:02

All your suggestions are VERY popular, probably top 10 or 20 names. I personally find the too widely used already but that may not bother you of course. I agree - if you know the gender it will be much easier to narrow down.

somewherewest Tue 16-Aug-11 09:05:03

For boys I think I'd go with Thomas (shortened to Tom). I have a feeling that Finley is really going to date in a way that the more classical names popular at the moment won't.

Bubbaluv Tue 16-Aug-11 09:20:54

Thomas is a great name and much more classic (less dating) than Finley.
Emily, Eve and Ava are all lovely names, but Molly is quite ridiculous sorry. My sister told me she was considering it for her near-due baby and I think she's probably on another forum somewhere with a "My sister laughed at my babyname" thread.
Her other option for a girl is Alice - much better IMO. I'm crossing my fingers for an Alice.

LadyBoy Tue 16-Aug-11 10:40:32

I love Finlay and Emily (Finn is on my list for this baby but DH not keen).

PercyFilth Tue 16-Aug-11 10:51:26

They are all very "now" with the possible exception of Thomas which has always been fairly popular. I would be looking for something that will not date so obviously.

SaffronCake Tue 16-Aug-11 12:57:32

Looking on the bright side, there are couples out there who are so polarised that one wants an Edwin Charles and the other wants a Maverick Ace Bear. So far your taste and his are more or less on the same page anyway. Nevermind what your kids think, they are pretty much just parrotting Daddy. You wouldn't believe what some kids want thier siblings to be called anyway, which is why they're not usually consulted. Naming is for life and is therefore a very adult responsbility, it's not just about what a 3 year old thinks cool or a 6 year old finds pretty. Your husband should be careful about dragging the kids into it to apply pressure for his cause, it's not fair on them. He should also remember that Mum by tradition has the last word and so should be careful of setting them up for disappointment. You have 3 months to go, a lot can change on the name front, something Mum and Dad never even thought of often turns out to be utterly perfect once the baby has arrived and can show his or her little face. I have one who was named like that, the name (which I would have said was a flat "no" before I gave birth) is just utterly perfect on her and she could never have been anything that was on our shortlist.

Mumsie76 Wed 24-Aug-11 22:04:18

Thanks for all the advise!!!! We have decided not to talk about names for a bit because we do have a while to go yet, we figured that if we don't mention it we might come back with some new ideas!!

kelly2000 Wed 24-Aug-11 23:10:40

What about Eva as a compromise between Ava and Eve. I mean surely the mother, the one who is going through pregnancy should have some say in the name. I really like Finlay, what about using both Names eg Finlay Thomas or Amelia Grace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now