Talk

Advanced search

Name stats - north Uk vs south?

(21 Posts)
Kayano Sun 14-Aug-11 22:55:48

I'm in the north and seriously do not come across a lot of the really 'popular' names.

One example I picked up from another Freya... I have NEVER come across a Freya who was not a dog....

So it got me wondering ... Are there any stats for names popular in north vs names popular in south? And if so can anyone provide a link?

Anyone else think there is quite a big difference?

MrsRupertBear Sun 14-Aug-11 23:10:31

I am in the north too and I have yet to come across many of the names mentioned on MN. For example Felix, I don't know one but down south, there are supposed to be all over the place. By the way I love the name Felixgrin

I don't know if there are any stats but it would be interesting to find out.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sun 14-Aug-11 23:13:48

Loads of Freyas daan saaf. Not one of them is a dog grin

PippiLongBottom Sun 14-Aug-11 23:17:29

I know loads of Freyas and Felix's and have the latter myself. I am up north.

Kayano Sun 14-Aug-11 23:22:54

How north? :p

Just kidding. I haven't met a felix or a pippa or even an Alfie lol. How bad is that

I think I will deliberately pick a southern name

meditrina Sun 14-Aug-11 23:26:31

< lights blue touch paper >

Where do you draw the line between north and south?

< stands well clear >

PippiLongBottom Sun 14-Aug-11 23:28:55

I'm Manchester and north Manchester at that. Definitely north in my book.

PippiLongBottom Sun 14-Aug-11 23:30:04

Don't pick Alfie. Every other child is an Alfie round here.
<<shudder>>

PricklyThistle Sun 14-Aug-11 23:30:19

Don't know what you mean by north and south UK. Do you mean England and Scotland? You could look at the Registrar General websites for each country and look at what the most common names are.
I have a Freya (and am in NE Scotland) - have to say I picked it coz it's Scandinavian so bit more north yet! Don't know any others though, and everyone thought it was really unusual. Obviously there's no closet MNers in my RL!
I do think that a lot of the names, especially boy names that you see slagged off on MN are just 'normal' names here.

PricklyThistle Sun 14-Aug-11 23:32:15

Pippi - do you know how many hundreds of miles south of here you are?
Believe me, if we're talking UK, you're south smile

SaffronCake Sun 14-Aug-11 23:43:02

I think North/South is too broad a classification really. Cornwall (undeniably South) has totally different naming from London (also undeniably South). I've never met an Alfie but I know a couple of Senaras, at least 3 Lamoras and more Morwennas than you can shake a stick at.

PippiLongBottom Mon 15-Aug-11 00:01:10

Saffron, I know none of those! Plenty of Jaden/Cade/Cayden et al.

I do believe that although Manchester is considerably further down the country than Scotland's outlying islands, it would be a stretch to call it anything other than North and to do so is just twattery. wink

somewherewest Mon 15-Aug-11 09:02:17

I'm not sure about the north/south divide but the class divide is huge. I used to work in the early years department at a small city council and you could tell where a pre-school was located by the first names on the roll (lots of Freyas = posh northern suburbs, lots of Alfies = not so posh eastern suburbs). I'm guessing that not posh names are more common in the north than the south-east because the north is a bit less posh on average (something my northern DH is quite proud of grin).

StrandedBear Mon 15-Aug-11 10:29:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

manicinsomniac Mon 15-Aug-11 10:58:35

I always thought that the South ended at teh Watford Gap :p

RageAndLove Mon 15-Aug-11 12:28:43

I'm down south and never met any Freya's cand the only Felix I know is my grandparent's cat

MrsVidic Mon 15-Aug-11 12:32:14

I'm a northener called Phillipa- but I've always been the only one!

Pootles2010 Mon 15-Aug-11 12:33:50

Agree with Somewhere it's a class thing. Am in York - we have loads of Freya's, Theos etc.

superjobee Mon 15-Aug-11 12:36:41

well, im in scotland and we have an over abundance of lucy, chloe, jack, eva, dylan, jayden, kayden, sophie ellie and lilly.

which i think you english gave up about 5 yrs ago except the god awful dylan and ava.

spare a thought for us!!

BuntyPenfold Mon 15-Aug-11 13:06:11

In Devon we have an abundance of Ellie, Lola, Lila, Jayden, Kayden,and Hayden. And a lot of Alfies.
Though it is mostly Plymouth people letting the side down.

wildspinning Mon 15-Aug-11 19:34:32

I'm in Surrey and we do have a fair few Felixes but we have tonnes of Alfies and Ellies too!

If a name's in the top 20 it will cut across all classes.

We have Freyas of all classes here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now