Talk

Advanced search

Nicknames for Nathaniel?

(19 Posts)
20wkbaby Sat 13-Aug-11 08:17:43

DH and I both like this name but it is a bit long for everyday use imo.

The trouble is DH thinks it should be shortened to Nat and I think Nate. There are two problems here, one is that I know a female Nat and it will always remind me of her and secondly that DH's name is Matt and I think the rhyming thing is too much.

Can you think of any better nicknames? Preferably not Neil! grin... or Nathan....

Kayano Sat 13-Aug-11 08:30:51

Nate. Def Nate

Tell DH to not be so bloody daft lol

PippiLongBottom Sat 13-Aug-11 08:39:11

Nate. Or Nath (pronounced Naythe)

I prefer Nate though.

InstantAtom Sat 13-Aug-11 10:57:44

Nat is cool. As in Nat King Cole

Nath (pronounced Naythe) perfectly OK too.

Nate sounds more affected and is too much like tate (potato).

Avinalarf Sat 13-Aug-11 13:08:03

Nate is the best by far.

I know a Natty (always Natty, never Nat).

chirpchirp Sat 13-Aug-11 13:11:43

My friend Nathan has always been known as Nath (like math). I do really like Nate (but that may be due to my affection for 90's G funk hiphop wink

cookielove Sat 13-Aug-11 13:18:57

Well my first thoughts were Nate when reading the title, but after reading your post i quite like Nat to.

I think Nate has a nice ring to it, however Nathaniel is a lovely name and there is no reason you can't use it on a daily basis

activate Sat 13-Aug-11 13:19:31

Nat

SaffronCake Sat 13-Aug-11 13:31:48

Hmmm...

Nat, Nate, Nath, Nathan, Neil, Thaniel, Thani, and Nige...

OK I made Nige up.

InstantAtom Sat 13-Aug-11 13:51:37

Nan, Aha, The, Tie, Than, Tan, Tel, Nail, Nel, Ani, Thai, Intel, Lentil

LetThereBeRock Sat 13-Aug-11 14:03:57

It's not too long for everyday use. It's only 3 syllables.And Nat and Nate are dreadful,though Nate is marginally better.

usualsuspect Sat 13-Aug-11 14:09:58

I know 2 Nathaniels ,both called Nat for short

Sandalwood Sat 13-Aug-11 15:24:28

It'll be Nat.
You won't get a lot of say in it later. His friends will shorten his name to Nat.
If he was Nathan, they might shorten it to Nate.

StrandedBear Sat 13-Aug-11 16:04:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

flissyfloss Sat 13-Aug-11 19:44:38

This is my bro's name. He gets called Nay, Nath (Naythe) or Nathan - he hates Nat. Nate can sound a bit american? At school he was Nathan Nail Head! I used to call him Nathaniel Spaniel. (Not quite sure this was what you were after!) :-)

Sophiesmummie Sat 13-Aug-11 19:49:37

Nat is short for Natalie and Natasha, so sounds quite feminine to my ears.

I'd say Nath or Nathan.

20wkbaby Sun 14-Aug-11 11:48:53

Thanks for the feedback.

I could try and use Nathaniel all the time but I know myself too well and would have to abbreviate.

I must say there are some creative suggestions on here I wouldn't have thought of. If he is anything like DD he will end up being called something totally unrelated to her name (in her case Squiggle).

NorkyButNice Sun 14-Aug-11 12:00:07

DS2 is Nathaniel - noone has ever abbreviated him except in text messages where he gets Nate.

As he gets older he may choose his own nickname - I'll be steering him towards Nate rather than Nat.

Madlizzy Sun 14-Aug-11 12:09:31

My Nathaniel is called Natty, becoming more Nat as he gets older. He's 12 now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now