Advanced search

Hermes Trismegistus

(25 Posts)
Tortington Sat 13-Aug-11 01:09:17

Too much?

InstantAtom Sat 13-Aug-11 08:17:44

No it's fine, very understated.

LynetteScavo Sat 13-Aug-11 08:24:06

If you, love it, that is what is important.

Georgimama Sat 13-Aug-11 08:25:40

DH wanted DD's middle name to be Caesaria to commemerate her mode of entry into the world. I pointed out that we hadn't called DS Vaginal so there was really no need.

EdithWeston Sat 13-Aug-11 08:26:37

Hermes will be fine if you can
a) put up with people confusing it with the brand, and
b) (probably shorter term) you don't mind the Rick Riordan characterisation of him.

Strange names are always fine in the middle.

kittensliveupstairs Sat 13-Aug-11 09:10:25

Sounds like a STI first name and a neurological disaster middle name to me.

Booboostoo Sat 13-Aug-11 09:26:08

I don't mean to be rude, but you did ask...Trismegistus is just not easy on the tongue and I am Greek! The modern Greek pronunciation of Hermes is Ermis (boy's name) but I have never, ever heard anyone add Trismegistus to it (and I am called Nafsika and it doesn't get more unpronounceable than that!).

gapants Sat 13-Aug-11 09:33:27

sounds like you need and ointment for that love.

Bandwithering Sat 13-Aug-11 09:38:38

I had that once. Week off work and a short course of penicillen and I was back the following monday with only a few scabs.

InstantAtom Sat 13-Aug-11 10:54:44

Great nickname potential and everyone will know how to spell it. Mind you it's getting quite popular so he may be one of several in the class.

Tortington Sat 13-Aug-11 12:11:34

yes atom, that;s what i thought, it is getting a bit chav

SaffronCake Sat 13-Aug-11 12:33:19

Genuine LOL @ this thread.

GeetTallBird Sat 13-Aug-11 12:50:10

Booboostoo your name is lovely, how do you pronounce it?

CareyHunt Sat 13-Aug-11 12:55:13

I'm thinking 'Tris' as a nn?

I think the true test is if you can imagine calling it out in Waitrose.

Like this; 'No Tris, not that coffee, you know we only have fairtrade.'

Or 'Hermes, Mummy said the ARBORIO rice you silly boy. How can we make a risotto with basmatti?'

Hth grin

emsies Sat 13-Aug-11 12:55:26

This is a wind up thread isn't it... only I don't always keep track!

Tortington Sat 13-Aug-11 13:22:06

whilst tris is ok

i was thinking nn of MEGA?

Or Smeg?

Tortington Sat 13-Aug-11 13:25:20

smegs good i like smeg

Booboostoo Sun 14-Aug-11 11:12:45

GeetTallBird thank you! The accent should be on the last syllable, but most English people find it easier to pronounce it with the accent on the middle syllable. Some people can't quit say the 'fs' and invert it so you get Nasfika, or Nassika or even Natalie, but I can't blame them, it's a seriously awkward name in English!

SaffronCake Sun 14-Aug-11 13:18:41

I have a bone to pick with you custardo, you bugger...

I woke up this morning thinking about how to pronounce Trismegistus and it's still going round my head!

Arghhhhhhhhh

GeetTallBird Sun 14-Aug-11 19:33:23

Booboostoo I love your name, wish I was Greek with a fabulous name! One of me best pals is Greek Cypriot called Melina, her sister is Paraskevi! Their names are so pretty. Sorry for hijack smile

Booboostoo Mon 15-Aug-11 10:32:31

Thank you but it's a bugger to live with! I have to spell it every single time and I have friends who have known me for years who still can't pronounce it. Worst off all, every so often I come across someone who recognises it from the Odyssey and insists on pronouncing it in the weird way he/she was taught in English school, which rather unfortunately is Nausekaa - bliah!

MY DD is called Lily! grin

BodyUnknown Mon 15-Aug-11 20:16:31

I like it. DP wanted our boy's name to be Optimus, but I think I could sway him with Trismegistus, nn Mega.

HeavensNetIsWide Mon 15-Aug-11 20:32:29

Only if you accept that your child is the way to the afterlife... hmm

Moanna Mon 15-Aug-11 21:12:15

Scarf innit?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now