Talk

Advanced search

More Biblical names

(37 Posts)
JamaicaGeisha Thu 11-Aug-11 20:22:08

Do you like any of the following and could you suggest any more, either place or people names?

Girls
Exodus
Mahlah
Selah
Ophrah
Galilee
Mahalath
Nazareth

Boys
Amos
David
Judah
Hanniel
Othniel
Samuel
David
Meshach
Psalm

BibiBelle Thu 11-Aug-11 20:54:44

No, they're all to try hard imo

with the exception of David & Samuel!!

deemented Thu 11-Aug-11 21:02:06

Girls

Anna
Leah
Rebecca
Ester
Julia
Tamara
Mary
Angela
Naomi
Deborah

Boys

Seth
Abel
Jeramiah
Elijah
Cane
Ezekiel

Rhubarbgarden Thu 11-Aug-11 21:13:39

Not my cup of tea. Psalm is especially bad.

Tonksforthememories Thu 11-Aug-11 21:18:02

None of the girls names are particularly catchy and will get a hmm in the playground, Boys i like Judah!

I'd like to suggest Joel for a boy and second Julia for a girl!

picnicbasketcase Thu 11-Aug-11 21:20:11

Exodus?? Please don't.

pilates Fri 12-Aug-11 08:31:05

Luke
Solomon

tummytickler Fri 12-Aug-11 10:30:23

My 4 year old is Amos. Best name ever imo.
I also like Meshach. Other ds is Elijah and he has David as a mn.
Not to keen on the others on your list,
If next dc (ttc) is a girl we like Judith or miriam.

I must say, I really dislike Psalm and Exodus!

How about Obadiah, Zachariah, Isaiah?

BreastmilkDoesAFabLatte Fri 12-Aug-11 21:00:31

Imagine the sniggers in the school office when Exodus bunks off at lunch time...

woowa Fri 12-Aug-11 21:14:48

I don't think Julia is in the bible? Maybe in the letters somewhere

OUr DD is Elisheba, Aaron's wife and, obviously, we adore it. We say it el-ISH-eh-ba (and most people mispronouce it, but never mind!). She is Ish for short.

I love Galilee, DH has vetoed for both DC1 and 2 sad. I also like Bethlehem and Gethsemane for girls. What stopped us using Gethsemane was what to shorten it to? I know shortening often just happens naturally, but we could only think of Semi, which sounds a bit hmm. Also like Shiloh, but would fear being told I'd just copied Brangelina.

Like all the boys ones except Psalm.

ALso like Jedidiah (Solomon's other name), Jedaiah (similar, easier to say), Jeduthun (see psalm 63 or 62), all with Jed for short.

I think using the name of a book which is not also a name,would be a mistake. They'll sound odd to people who don't know the bible, and to those who do, they might wonder why. But, in the end, it's up to you and not anyone else!!

Oh, i also love Joelie/Joely for a girl

Ivortheengine8 Fri 12-Aug-11 21:15:58

Sorry, I don't like the ones in the OP, they sound a little far fetched unless you are living in Africa or Israel as opposed to the UK. (apart David ad Samuel)
I do like Isaiah,zachariah and Eli (but not Elija)

SaffronCake Sat 13-Aug-11 13:26:54

Mary/Maria, Sarah, Ruth, Rebekah/Rebecca, Hannah, Naomi, Abigail, Bethany, Claudia, Leah, Rachel, Sharon, Susannah, Lydia, Salome,

James, Matthew, Peter, Paul, Thomas, Mark, Samuel, John, Luke, Isaac, Abraham, Elijah, Noah, Daniel, Gabriel, Michael, Simon, Joshua, Jesse, Reuben, David, Saul

SaffronCake Sat 13-Aug-11 13:29:24

Julia's in Romans 16:15

woowa Sat 13-Aug-11 21:50:42

thanks saffroncake. It's funny, i'm not wild on ordinary greek names which are in the bible. I love the crazy OT names which have God-centred meaning!

manicinsomniac Sat 13-Aug-11 22:22:57

wow, I've never heard of most of those for names! Are you Jewish/very very Christian? Might be a bit odd otherwise!

Exodus - it's ok. I think it could grow on me a lot.

Mahlah - sounds kind of made up. But hey, fits with the mia/maia/mya/maya/macie/miley etc trends going reound atm.

Selah - Doesn't have a pleasant sound to it imo

Ophrah - just screams tv chat show to me sorry

Galilee - quite sweet but maybe too fixed into being a lake - like calling your child Windermere!

Mahalath - not if you're British and Caucasian, it sounds foreign

Nazareth - sounds like a boy to me, if anything. Not really name-y

Amos - bit old man like

David - quite like it. Staid and traditional.

Judah - nice enough. Not keen on Jude though

Hanniel - very different but actually quite like it

Othniel - sounds like oatmeal

Samuel - like it and Sam/Sammy are good too

Meshach - [chants] 'Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego for tea, Then came Jonah and the Whale AND the sea'

Psalm - please NO!

If I was set on a Bible name I would choose:
Girls - Abigail, Hannah, Rebekah, Lydia, Julia or Naomi
Boys - Thomas, Joshua, Isaac or Noah

If you really want a place how about Jericho/Jerica or Phillip/Phillipa?

JamaicaGeisha Sun 14-Aug-11 15:13:31

woowa me too with the unusual.

I don't want Biblical names that are in common usage (apart from David and Samuel as I just love them irrationally!)

I am Ethiopian Christian.

Any more suggestions would be welcome but I would prefer the more unusual side!

NasalCoffeeEnema Sun 14-Aug-11 15:19:28

I love biblical names, all three boys have them and wanted Gideon/Elijah for th elast (had hoped they were normal enough for dh)
but even I raised an eyebrow at the ones in the op

NasalCoffeeEnema Sun 14-Aug-11 15:21:41

Have a friend with a son nmaed Ezekial (sp? theyve spelt it right) and thats pretty cool, not too odd people don't know it but also how many do you know?

manicinsomniac Sun 14-Aug-11 15:36:57

Ah ok, well, as an Ethiopian Christian I think your child could easily pull off any of your name choices - though I'm still not sure about Psalm!

toomuchteaching Sun 14-Aug-11 17:21:39

I have always loved Atarah, she's from one of the 1 Chron lists (2:26) so there's not much of a story to go with it, but it does mean crown. Lovely!

In fact if you're looking for unusual just work your way through the genealogical lists, you're bound to find something.

Rhubarbgarden Sun 14-Aug-11 18:03:32

Somebody once posted about Vesper for a girl. It's not a bible name but it means evening prayer, and I think it's rather lovely.

Bearcrumble Sun 14-Aug-11 18:10:24

I like Josiah for a boy.

tummytickler Sun 14-Aug-11 19:41:03

What about something like Blessing or Praise? I love this style of name and used to work with a Blessing.
As I said earlier, I have an Amos, and we also liked Mordecai, Shem, Lazarus. Any good?

Ivortheengine8 Sun 14-Aug-11 20:56:36

I like Josiah too bear. It was on my list until DH said he didn't like it!

A1980 Sun 14-Aug-11 22:33:15

How about Jacob's son's for boys:

Reuben
Simeon
Levi
Judah
Dan
Naphtali
Gad
Asher
Issachar
Zebulun
Joseph
Benjamin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now