Talk

Advanced search

British baby names vs American Baby Names

(69 Posts)
sprogger Thu 11-Aug-11 16:47:35

Anyone else read the Baby Name Wizard blog? It has some great statistical analysis of trends in baby naming. The latest articles are on the key differences between names that are currently popular in Britain and names that are popular in the US:

[[http://www.babynamewizard.com/archives/2011/8/british-baby-names-vs-american-baby-names British Baby Names Vs American Baby Names

sprogger Thu 11-Aug-11 16:47:58

Sorry, messed up the link:

British Baby Names Vs American Baby Names

mathanxiety Thu 11-Aug-11 17:14:45

'Beverley Hillbillies' is so apt (for all those Ellie-Mae type names). I once overheard a conversation in a Walmart I used to go to in the US about someone who was going to name her baby Anna May (or possibly Anna Mae, or maybe there would have been a hyphen) -- the name was far too 'Georgia' in the opinion of the tut-tutting ladies in the checkout line.

EdithWeston Thu 11-Aug-11 17:33:28

I don't quite "get" the methodology, as neither list seems to include the names that are actually used the most in either US or here.

sprogger Thu 11-Aug-11 20:02:59

She's normalised the names that are alike in the popularity lists between the two countries and looked for names that are popular in the Britain, but would NOT turn up in the US and therefore are especially "British" at the moment. Then she did the same analysis of American names.

picnicbasketcase Thu 11-Aug-11 20:04:20

Anna-May? Must be a Miyazaki fan.

LadyBoy Thu 11-Aug-11 21:30:38

Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

mathanxiety Fri 12-Aug-11 06:19:40

grin -- not in that particular Walmart, Picnicbasketcase.

Bubbaluv Fri 12-Aug-11 06:45:23

I have to say the cutie-naming trend is pretty clear here on MN.

I remember loking at the school Honor Boards from the begining of the century and being amazed how strong the trend had been at the beining of last century for cutsie names and thinking how specifically it dated those people.

I do worry that this is the second wave of people who will suffer through life with ridiculous names long after the trend fades.

pinkgirlythoughts Fri 12-Aug-11 10:17:07

Interesting that she describes the top four boys' names- Landon, Anthony, Gavin and Angel -as being 'formal' 'classic' and 'traditional.' She's an American writer, so her opinions clearly have an American slant. I'd call Landon trendy, Anthony and Gavin dated, and Angel probably classic, but only for the Hispanic community (I think).

slowshow Fri 12-Aug-11 11:57:56

I agree pinkgirlythoughts. I don't consider Kaylee and Aubree to be "formal" names either. Not quite sure what the writer means by formal - as in not diminutives?

Bandwithering Fri 12-Aug-11 19:05:12

Interesting site. My dd's name is popular in Maine and New Hampshire and colorado and that is it.

Bandwithering Fri 12-Aug-11 19:06:20

Slowshow, I agree, they're not formal sounding to me. That sound like they will date terribly and have been picked because they correspond to some trend. They might not sound girly like the British Milly/Molly names, but they sound flimsy.

sprogger Fri 12-Aug-11 19:13:32

I think Aubree is an Americanisation of Aubrey, which is a classic boy name that's become a classic girl name in the US.

One of the things that jumped out at me about the very American list is how many girls names used to be boy names - Ashley, Aubrey, Avery. I considered Avery for one of my sons by my overseas family nearly had kittens at the thought, as for them it's a very feminine name.

Bandwithering Fri 12-Aug-11 20:36:46

Any name that has ley at the end is going to 'go boy' in the US. Even Stanley eventually.

emmanumber3 Fri 12-Aug-11 21:34:37

So, DD's name is the second most British name? How did they work that out? hmm

sprogger Fri 12-Aug-11 21:36:53

It's explained in the article, emma.

Continuum Fri 12-Aug-11 22:32:19

argh! Avery is the middle name we've chosen for soon to be ds2. DH is American and it's feasible ds may want to live over there when he's an adult, although at the same time it's only his middle name. Should we be concerned???

ScatterChasse Sat 13-Aug-11 01:12:42

I'm just struggling to believe there were actually six people who'd call their baby 'Awesome'

LolaRennt Sat 13-Aug-11 04:39:22

Continuum I have a 14 year old cousin (male) called Avery and the only Averys I have ever met have been male, can't see it as a female name myself.

*I'm american. Ashley will always be a girl's name to me however unless you are a character in a Jane Austin or something though

CheerfulYank Sat 13-Aug-11 04:43:52

Avery is HUGE for girls here in my part of the US, sorry! Most names ending in -a, -ley, and just plain -y are pretty girly. I liked Ezra for DS and a lot of people told me it sounded like a girls' name, same with Asa. hmm

Ava was huge and then got almost over-used, so Avery was an extension of that.

Continuum Sat 13-Aug-11 08:29:03

hmmm.... something to chat about I think.

CheerfulYank Sat 13-Aug-11 19:47:55

And Kaylee is not a formal name here, it's seen as a bit downmarket.

Formal names are things like Elizabeth, Catherine, etc.

CheerfulYank Sat 13-Aug-11 19:51:36

And I know loads of girls named Ellie and Lily in America. They're not overwhelmingly British. hmm Ollie is not a "hillbilly name" , and Finlay/Finley is absolutely everywhere here. (Mainly for girls; boys are just called Finn.)

Wonder which section of America she's talking about.

Bandwithering Sat 13-Aug-11 20:02:52

She doesn't know as much about names as some of us on here grin toot toot wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now