Talk

Advanced search

If you discovered the name you like means something grim...

(53 Posts)
LaTristesse Thu 11-Aug-11 15:19:58

...would you still use it?

scarlettlips Thu 11-Aug-11 15:34:31

I love the name Claudia...and would still use it if next child was anther DD.

What's the name LaTristesse??

scarlettlips Thu 11-Aug-11 15:34:57

Claudia means Lame...should of put that blush

GrimmaTheNome Thu 11-Aug-11 15:40:06

It would depend on (a) how grim and (b) whether the grimness was anything anyone would reasonably be expected to know about

SaulGood Thu 11-Aug-11 15:40:29

It bothers me so little that I don't actually know the meaning of the name I've picked for this baby. Hang on...

It means 'wolf counsel' or 'wise wolf' apparently.

The meaning would not change my mind. But connotations sometimes do. Delilah or Judas for example I couldn't see past the associations.

birdofthenorth Thu 11-Aug-11 15:46:43

My dog is called Kennedy. It means "ugly head"! I did shirk a but when I heard a little girl called this at the local pool!

Continuum Thu 11-Aug-11 16:21:55

No I wouldn't because I wouldn't be able to scrub that knowledge from my head. Same for name associations like SaulGood pointed out.

What name could be "grim" though?

PippiLongBottom Thu 11-Aug-11 16:35:29

I changed my mind. It was Cecily. It means blind. I don't know why it put me off so much but it did. DC3 was a boy anyhoo.

LynetteScavo Thu 11-Aug-11 16:39:18

No, which is why DD isn't called Claudia.

Suncottage Thu 11-Aug-11 16:40:46

Persephone - Bringer of Death shock

ExitPursuedByAGryffin Thu 11-Aug-11 16:42:15

My brother's nickname is Grim grin

JustFiveMinutesHAHAHA Thu 11-Aug-11 16:44:04

It's not something I would check before choosing a name and I would prefer that no-one felt the need to tell me smile I think though, if someone did, it might put me off of a name.

nokissymum Thu 11-Aug-11 16:48:51

Melanie meaning

Darkness
Or
River of darkness
Or
Lady of the night

Either way, grim, very grim.

iskra Thu 11-Aug-11 16:52:40

I don't even know what DD's name means, so no, I don't think it would put me off. Associations are more important to me so I would never call a child Judas or Jezebel.

InstantAtom Thu 11-Aug-11 16:59:43

No, I wouldn't.

superjobee Thu 11-Aug-11 17:07:35

DDs names mean 'beautiful strife' and boy is she!! mine means princess and im a spoilt brat grin ive looked into DSs names when we were choosing them and they have really strong, manly meanings so quite pleased with our choices smile

ZZZenAgain Thu 11-Aug-11 17:13:39

we'd need to know the name to assess the grimness factor. Maybe it is not that bad after all

LaTristesse Thu 11-Aug-11 17:27:27

A split vote - thanks for the replies!

The name is Soren. I've had my heart set on it for months, and I don't know what made me look it up today but it means 'God of War', not all that grim, but not sitting well with this laid-back hippy pacifist...!

ZZZenAgain Thu 11-Aug-11 17:29:06

that's not too drastic IMO. I am not a war-mongering type either but I could live with that if I liked the name

ZZZenAgain Thu 11-Aug-11 17:31:53

I've just read it is Danish and means thunder or war. Thunder is alright

rachel1970 Thu 11-Aug-11 17:32:02

Some names have very obvious meanings, often Latin or Greek based names e.g. Claudia (claudus = disabled), Cecilia/Cecily (blind). Others have no meanings or are derived from jobs (e.g. Tyler = tile layer).

I would avoid a name with an unfortunate meaning because I wouldn't want to burden my child with that.

ZZZenAgain Thu 11-Aug-11 17:33:36

and I read the Scandinavian origin is "stern". So good name perhaps for a judge.

Carrotsandcelery Thu 11-Aug-11 17:35:12

Soren is lovely and "thunder of war" is fantastic as a name - it doesn't need to mean aggressive, it could just mean assertive or powerful! smile

I definitely think you should go with it.

AlmaMartyr Thu 11-Aug-11 17:36:21

I have been put off a name because of the meaning but I don't think that particular meaning would bother me much. If it could be 'God of thunder' like ZZZenAgain says then I think that's quite cool!

LetThereBeRock Thu 11-Aug-11 17:59:08

I'd use it.The meaning wouldn't bother me at all,and it's a lovely name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now