Talk

Advanced search

Blair (for a boy)

(32 Posts)
RodentOfUnusualSize Mon 08-Aug-11 11:20:29

I would love to get some opinions on the name Blair.

DS is due in a couple of weeks and this is my current favourite. I like it because:
- it goes well with our surname
- it ties in with my DH's Scottish heritage
- it is a 'normal' name but really uncommon outside Scotland (only 10 in England & Wales in 2010)

However I have some doubts, namely that it sounds a bit 'wet' unless the namee is a big strapping rugby-playing type. Also it kind of sounds like 'blah'.

NB we're not living in the UK so the Tony connection is not a big deal.

Any comments or thoughts would be gratefully received. My other favourites are Miles and Rory (but DH is not too keen on either of those).

LetThereBeRock Mon 08-Aug-11 11:35:31

It's lovely and not at all wet.

I also love your other choices,but Blair is my favourite.

spiderlight Mon 08-Aug-11 13:12:10

Not a fan, sorry - sounds too much like 'bleurgh' and also puts me in myd of Tony Blair (and Blair Witch Project!).

sleepywombat Mon 08-Aug-11 13:12:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GibberingGinger Mon 08-Aug-11 13:22:28

I really like it, but then I live in Scotland and therefore know real people with the name Blair, and hence don't link it to Tony Blair/Lionel Blair etc.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Mon 08-Aug-11 13:38:31

I think it's ok. Tony Blair is old news, especially outside the UK. I much prefer Rory, though.

birdofthenorth Mon 08-Aug-11 13:54:02

Love it

daimbardiva Mon 08-Aug-11 14:33:27

I love it- in fact, it is top of my list should our impending child be a boy (dh yet to be convinced...he will be though smile) My ds1 is Rory so that tells you what I think of that name smile

RodentOfUnusualSize Mon 08-Aug-11 21:00:36

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Some food for thought here. Not too worried about Tony or Lionel links as I seriously doubt anyone would make those connections outside the UK.

popsicle1984 Mon 08-Aug-11 21:30:21

I think Gossip Girl has made it a girls name! Well someone had to own up to watching it!

SaffronCake Mon 08-Aug-11 22:15:35

I associate it so strongly with Tony and Lionel that it's hard to give it a fair appraisal, sorry.

bigbluebump Tue 09-Aug-11 10:19:42

Lovely name. Classic, easy to spell/pronounce and not overused. I like it.

hulabula Tue 09-Aug-11 10:27:52

I like Blair and agree that the Tony connection will soon be forgotten, especially if you live outside the UK.

I find Blair nicer than Rory and Miles (plural of Mile imo), both of which are more common already in the UK.

tabulahrasa Tue 09-Aug-11 10:31:21

I really like it too, but then I'm also in Scotland and know a few

BikeRunSki Tue 09-Aug-11 10:36:00

Tony
Lionel
Witch Project

hulabula Tue 09-Aug-11 10:44:06

Lionel?
Witch Project?

GlaikitFizzog Thu 25-Aug-11 13:39:51

Just saw this thread and wanted to say DS (16 weeks) is Blair. I am in Scotland and have had lovely comments. there has been a few "What after Tony" comments to which we just laugh at!

I only found out about it becoming a girls name after he was registered. There were 83 boy Blairs in 2010 in Scotland and 6 girl Blair(e)s, so I think it can still be claimed as a boys name!

Good luck!

MissTriangle Thu 25-Aug-11 16:19:57

I like it. But do associate it with gossip girl and it being a girls name. But there are so many names that are boys or girls names over here and the opposite in america... So I wouldn't let that put you off. The Tony connection might though ... But sure you can laugh that one away! X

lollystix Thu 25-Aug-11 23:07:53

I like but I'm also in Scotland.

TillyIpswitch Fri 26-Aug-11 03:03:58

I wonder where you are, OP...

This was a fairly common name amongst my generation growing up in NZ.* I went to school with a fair few of them, even lived down the road from one. grin

To that end, it sounds a wee bit dated to my ears, but not in a bad way. I dunno, it wouldn't be on my list and I must admit that I do sort of get where you are coming from with the 'wet' accusation, although can't quite put my finger on why.

It's a nice name though - uncommon but not unheard of, easy to pronounce - it ticks a few boxes.

*NZ was settled by the British but our ties seem to be particularly strong with Scotland.

TillyIpswitch Fri 26-Aug-11 03:04:58

To add - they were all boys. smile

spiderslegs Fri 26-Aug-11 03:16:06

Are you mental?

Really???

If ou have another will you call him 'Brown'

Or 'Milliband'

??

CheerfulYank Fri 26-Aug-11 03:33:57

I think it's nice, even though I do think of it as being a girl's name.

Miles v nice also. smile

TillyIpswitch Fri 26-Aug-11 04:02:17

Calm down spiderslegs. The OP isn't in the UK and the world doesn't revolve around the UK.

I didn't even think of Tony when I opened this thread, and I lived there for his entire 'reign'.

RodentOfUnusualSize Fri 26-Aug-11 09:30:05

Just checked in on this thread as DS is now due pretty soon and we are no closer to a decision, but I keep coming back to Blair.

Tilly, I am currently in NZ, having just moved here from the UK. I didn't grow up in NZ but am aware of the Scottish ties. I don't know any Blairs personally but it certainly wouldn't be an odd name here, although still reasonably uncommon.

Spiderslegs, do you think that all of the 1,000+ parents who called their boys Cameron in 2010 will call their next child Osbourne? It's just a name, and I'm not mental, but thanks for asking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now