Talk

Advanced search

Registration deadline THIS Friday - and still no boy's name - HELP!

(77 Posts)
stella1w Sun 07-Aug-11 22:30:35

OK.. I feel really bad but I have no idea what to call my son and he is nearly six weeks old.
My criteria are: nothing biblical/saints related, would "go with" his sister's name Clara, would not be teased at school, not too popular, not too outlandish, has some kind of nice meaning (ie. Cameron sounds nice ,but means crooked nose), doesn't end in en/in/on due to our surname, would work on a baby/adult ie. can be shouted across a playground but looks good in print (here's hoping)
Seems to me that most boys' names have a biblical, hebrew root!
And he doesn't look like anything..
Some names on my shortlist (and even some of them don't meet my criteria...)
Alexander (too popular)
Felix (ditto)
Dashiell
Orlando
Kaleo (everyone hates it - see separate thread)
Tate
Cai
Edgar
Emre

But am totally open to suggestions...

Tillyscoutsmum Sun 07-Aug-11 22:32:04

Fergus - means man of strength. Not too outlandish. Not too popular. I may be biased smile

PotteringAlong Sun 07-Aug-11 22:33:00

Edgar is a saints name...

suzikettles Sun 07-Aug-11 22:35:03

William, Frederick, Roderick erm..... I keep having to delete names because of your restrictions tbh.

PotteringAlong Sun 07-Aug-11 22:35:25

As is felix (ex pope) and Alexander (patron
Saint of occupations).

Why no saints names? If you like the name dies the fact that it's been used before many moons ago matter?

Dragonwoman Sun 07-Aug-11 22:35:43

Edric - Old english name, means prosperous ruler. Could be shortened to Eddie or Ric?
Fletcher - arrow maker
Robert - 'normal' name but not very common on children these days. Choice of Rob/Robbie/Bob/Bobby/Bertie shortenings?

deste Sun 07-Aug-11 22:38:13

I know lots of Camerons but that's the first time I've heard the meaning of it. I don't think the meaning is that important. Of your list I like Orlando.

PotteringAlong Sun 07-Aug-11 22:39:48

I love Robert but due to St Robert of Newminster I think it's out smile

Sorry OP; am being singularly unhelpful here. Am
Off to have a bath so will put my mind to thinking of some names to actually answer your qu!

JustFiveMinutesHAHAHA Sun 07-Aug-11 22:43:13

Fredrick (Freddie)
Oliver (Oli)
Edward (Eddie) - hated this till I knew a little boy and it really grew on me smile
Timothy (Tim)

stella1w Sun 07-Aug-11 22:44:38

There was a patron saint of occupations??? I am going to have to relax the saint thing, clearly!
I tend to like Old English and Welsh names...

cantsleepwontsleepever Sun 07-Aug-11 22:48:16

erm...

Sonny
Angus
Finn/Fintan
Ivo
Louis
Rufus

suzikettles Sun 07-Aug-11 22:48:24

Iwan? or Ewan or Euan (all the same pronunciation I think).

Arthur

Kenneth

MumToTheBoy Sun 07-Aug-11 22:48:37

I don't know many welsh names - how about Bryn, Rhys and Harri. Oh aled as well!

birdofthenorth Sun 07-Aug-11 23:13:54

I am drawn to say Rory. Congrats on your boy smile

PippiLongBottom Sun 07-Aug-11 23:18:52

I love Orlando from your list but it was top contender for my chihuahua (who ended up with Basil). I have a Felix (child not dog). My list also had Arlo and Milo on it. What about Silas? No idea of its roots before Silas Marner. It was reserve name for ds1 (Noah).
Ooh, what about Wilf? Another reserve name for ds1.

LisMcA Sun 07-Aug-11 23:22:41

DS is Blair, just thought I'd throw it in grin

Congrats!

LisMcA Sun 07-Aug-11 23:23:43

And it means "open plain"

Merrylegs Sun 07-Aug-11 23:25:30

Magnus

(means 'great')

NorkyButNice Sun 07-Aug-11 23:27:17

May I ask why you are so against anything with biblical/hebrew roots?

DH and I are complete atheists but have ended up with a Theo and Nathaniel which both (by coincidence) mean "God's gift". I don't think the name you choose reflects on your beliefs (or lack of) these days, or am I alone on that thought?

I saw somewhere upthread the mention of Welsh names - we've got Owain, Rhys and Huw as middle names due to Dh's welsh roots.

nenevomito Sun 07-Aug-11 23:27:57

Hamish.

You really can't go wrong with a Hamish imo.

NorkyButNice Sun 07-Aug-11 23:29:34

Oh yes, meant to say that our alternatives for boys names were Jasper, Felix, Alexander and Marcus.

Sidge Sun 07-Aug-11 23:33:15

Fraser
Angus
Rufus
Jasper
Barnaby
Montgomery

thehappyprince Sun 07-Aug-11 23:36:50

How about Alistair? Not Welsh / old English but similar to Alexander and less popular. Can be shortened easily - Al or Ally.

MummyFleece Sun 07-Aug-11 23:39:21

Bradley?

sockpoppet Sun 07-Aug-11 23:40:38

Edwin
Arthur
Rory
Max
Miles
Kai
Wilbur
Jensen
Rafferty
Giles
Lachlan
Howard

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now