Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of Lucy Alys?

(12 Posts)
cate2310 Sun 07-Aug-11 17:53:39

We're struggling with choosing a name for our 2nd child, due next month - if it's a boy, then we still have our name left from 1st time which we both really like. However, if it's a girl, we're really stumped. We both loved our choice for our 1st DD, but can't fall in love with a name for this one. We have an incredibly long surname so would like quite a short 1st name, but something pretty. We have Welsh connections, and would have quite liked a Welsh name, but because we live in England, it would have to be something easy to spell, that people aren't likely to go "WHat, how do you spell that!!"
So, over to you guys, what do you think of Lucy Alys (Alys spelt in the Welsh way?) We only came up with Alys this afternoon - I was surprised when my husband said he really liked it and we should use it as the 1st, not middle name. I don't know, why don't they come out with their names around their necks smile

InstantAtom Sun 07-Aug-11 18:35:54

Lucy Alys is a lovely combination. I think it flows better that way round, rather than Alys Lucy. I prefer the Alys spelling to Alice, which is a bit more dull/traditional IMHO.

pinkgirlythoughts Sun 07-Aug-11 18:44:09

My ex-DP had a niece named Lucy Alice- it's gorgeous! smile

SaffronCake Sun 07-Aug-11 19:44:56

It's nice. You know you're still going to have to spell Alys to everyone at least once, but if it's in the middle that cuts this right down as most people wont use or even know her middle name as she gets older. That makes it a kind of elicit pleasure in a way so don't rule out putting it in the middle. My partner picked a really daft name for out littlests middle name, but he loves it and secretly I kind of do too, and knowing her name isn't just that more-acceptable one everyone else knows is kind of a nice semi-secret to have. Just watch out for initials, the likes of LAB, LAD and LAP are words with reasonably neutral connotations, LAG however is prison slang applied especially to prisoners on longer sentances and LAX isn't fab either.

cate2310 Sun 07-Aug-11 20:37:24

Haha, thanks everyone for your support. I keep saying the name to see if I like it or not. Saffroncake, our Surname begins with an S, so we should be ok with initials, and as you said, having Alys as a middle name shouldn't cause too many problems as most people won't use it.

BikeRunSki Sun 07-Aug-11 20:48:12

Lovely, I am an Alice and I always wished I had Welsh connections so I could justify the Alys spelling. I did go through a bit of a teenage phase of spelling it the Irish "Ailis" way, but my maiden name was Irish.

I agree though, to keep Lucy as a first name, or she will spend her whole life spelling out Alys, or getting frustrated that it has been spelt Alice.

chandellina Sun 07-Aug-11 21:31:01

i think it's lovely. My SIL is named Alys and I've never heard her complain about the spelling creating hassles. Lucy is also top of our list for DD on the way. smile

gallicgirl Sun 07-Aug-11 21:43:08

My 6mo DD is Alys and I do like that it's a bit unusual.

I knew we'd be forever correcting the spelling, but we were surprised that some people are uncertain of the pronunciation when they see it written. We get "Alees" often but that might be because Alysha is more likely to be used than Alys where I live.

TrillianAstra Sun 07-Aug-11 21:45:09

Just looking at the name - I'd think you'd spelled "Alice" wrong.

Dexifehatz Tue 09-Aug-11 00:32:40

How about the Chaucerian-Alysoun[Alison]?

sancerrre Tue 09-Aug-11 00:36:11

I'm normally one for a traditional spelling but I really like Alys and it goes very well with Lucy.

<makes a note on baby name list>

gallicgirl Tue 09-Aug-11 09:16:16

It's originally medieval English and was in use long before the froggified Alice.

wink

You don't get much more traditional than that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now