Talk

Advanced search

Please help with me choose a girls name

(16 Posts)
PhysioHelen Sun 07-Aug-11 16:04:16

Our baby is due in the next 3 weeks and we had long ago decided on a boys name - Zackery, but we are really struggling to decide on a girls name. I would like something a bit unusual but not too unusual. Ones I quite like are Tamara, Georgia, Isobella and Harriet. Any views or opinions on these names or any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

StrandedBear Sun 07-Aug-11 16:10:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Yourefired Sun 07-Aug-11 16:13:25

Zackery is lovely. Similar to ones listed for girls...Elizabeth, Ianthe, Juliette and Darcy (though this popular at moment).

stardustn Sun 07-Aug-11 16:14:40

I would also spell Zackery as Zachary.
I like all of your girls' names except for Tamara, though my favourite is Georgia smile

countrybump Sun 07-Aug-11 16:15:30

I have a Harriet (we call her Hattie), so I thought I'd share some of the other names I like too!

Tabitha
Jemima
Emelia / Amelia
Eliza
Zara
Louise
Eloise
Evelyn
Henrietta

Thumbwitch Sun 07-Aug-11 16:16:27

Harriet is quite popular at the mo as well.
Henrietta less so - do you like that?
Georgia is a nice name
Tamara is ok but will likely be shortened to Tammy - fine if you don't mind that nn.
Isobella is very popular, and Eliza is cropping up more and more.

How about Arabella?
Ariadne is a sadly under-used name
Esmeralda

A name I have got quite attached to from a fantasy book set I've been reading is Tananda (apparently Australian, according to the google search I've just done on it!)

BikeRunSki Sun 07-Aug-11 16:21:12

Georgia, Isobella and Harriet very popular.
I'd also spell Zackery as Zachary. Also a popular name amongst the 0-4 year olds I know.
If you want something a bit unusual with a "Z" what about Zoe?

PhysioHelen Sun 07-Aug-11 16:26:14

Wow - this is the first time I have ever posted anything on mumsnet and all you comments are brilliant - it is so funny, names that you have suggested like Tabitha & Eliza were other names we were considering. I really like the idea of shortening Harriet to Hattie and I had not even considered spelling Zackery any differently. So thanks so much for your suggestions and keep them comming!

BikeRunSki Sun 07-Aug-11 16:34:19

Zachary is the "normal" spelling.

nykxx Sun 07-Aug-11 18:12:08

how about tamika?

deste Sun 07-Aug-11 22:50:35

Sounds made up.

nykxx Sun 07-Aug-11 23:25:01

it is!!!

nyk

nykxx Sun 07-Aug-11 23:26:15

another name i made up that i have liked since i was little is kyomi. until some idiot decided to name a deoderant by that name!!! it didnt last long though so there is hope yet!!

nyk

EllenJaneisnotmyname Mon 08-Aug-11 01:04:58

Henrietta could be Hetty.
Harriet is nice, a strong name.

I'm not sure about Tamara, because of the joke, 'I'll see you Tamara.'

Georgia is lovely.
Isobella is very popular.

How about, Gabriella, Elizabeth NN Libby or Beth, Florence NN Florrie?

Zachary definitely the 'proper' spelling, may help with school and friends getting the spelling correct.

danniclare Mon 08-Aug-11 01:17:29

A name has to last an awfully long time. What's fine for a toddler can be excruciating embarrasing for a teen or inappropriately cute in middle age. That's why I chose names that have full and abbreviated forms and aren't too wacky. Peaches, really. Or Seven. Also I have a thing about girls names that sound boyish. Or worse, what seem to be boys names given a female twist. Nigella. Davida. What's that saying? We wanted a boy but we got you?

Looking back through old family names can be good, but avoid the really dated ones. Flowers are very 1900s, and as for Doris... Also be wary of offending the other half of the family. The positive side is it strengthens family ties.

Tamara, Georgia, Isobella and Harriet are all good.

Go with what you are comfortable with.

Fefeffion Mon 08-Aug-11 22:17:44

Adrienne
Dominique
Ruth
Vina
Romy
Rosalie

Georgia is my favourite from your list

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now