Talk

Advanced search

Really long names for children

(23 Posts)
StrandedBear Sat 06-Aug-11 19:10:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

uninspired Sat 06-Aug-11 19:16:36

Both my DC have two middle names, so I don't think it is too long.

Bandwithering Sat 06-Aug-11 19:17:00

Well, it's just my opinion but that's a bit long.

If the child is to have it's father's sur name then surely the maternal grandfather's name is only fair??

deemented Sat 06-Aug-11 19:18:50

Both DS1 and DS2 both have two middle names. Nowt wrong with it, sayeth i.

LaWeasel Sat 06-Aug-11 19:20:55

I have a friend whose name was Axxxxxxx Zxxxxxxxxxx (20 characters) which is normally the length allowed, and she was always very grateful not to have any middle names, or they wouldn't have fitted! I don't know how much it actually matters if you just miss out one of your mn when form filling, as long as you're consistent about which one you drop.

I think whichever side of the family has the last name, the other side should get the middle name.

rhetorician Sat 06-Aug-11 19:23:16

DD1 has a very long name (29 letters!) mainly because we included my surname as her second middle name - we are a lesbian couple and she cannot use my surname - but it's usually not required on official documents, although it is on her passport and birth certificate.

Rhubarbgarden Sat 06-Aug-11 20:15:48

It is a bit long, but I've heard longer. My MIL's name is 49 letters in total because she has three middle names and a triple-barrelled surname. But then she's from a European aristocratic family so has to have all sorts of bits and bobs in there. Lord knows how she deals with forms - I must ask her.

jenniec79 Sat 06-Aug-11 20:22:45

You don't often need to put all your middle names on forms. DB has 2 middle names he uses so rarely he doesn't always spell them the same way!!

If you like it go for it (his are the 2 DGF names too - both deceased long before he was born, I have DGM name as a middle name from DM side; also passed away long before I was on the scene, while DGM on DF side was still with us, so I don't have her name)

LDNmummy Sat 06-Aug-11 20:33:48

Ha that's funny, I just came on here to start exactly this thread. DH and I are expecting a little girl and her name will be E.. N.... E... H..... J......

I had to put full stops in for discretion, but her first name would be accompanied by two middle names and both mine a DH's surnames.

I have been wondering if this is too long but I am reluctant to let go of any of the names as they carry significant meanings.

lockets Sat 06-Aug-11 21:18:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 06-Aug-11 21:31:23

DD has 32 letters, both middle names are long. My brother has 5 names plus surname.

AlmaMartyr Sat 06-Aug-11 21:33:26

I and my DCs all have two middle names, it has never been a problem. Some places only use my first middle name but that isn't a big deal.

Lonnie Sun 07-Aug-11 01:52:16

all my children have 4 names we rarely have issues on forms and if there isnt space they get it down as initials so firstname initial initial Surname not once have we been asked for the other 2

Awomancalledhorse Sun 07-Aug-11 01:55:25

My best friend growing up had 8 middle names (she was Irish and each name was a different Auntie)....two middle names is great, I have 2 & our LO's will too.

SaffronCake Sun 07-Aug-11 16:44:10

Nah, 2 middle names is fine. My first daughter has 2 middle names and if the forms are too small she puts her initials eg. Jane R.L. Smith. Some people have said "what a mouthful" but then some people are just naturally inclined to make meaningless snipes at anything at all if they can find any excuse. Two is perfectly normal, and I'm sure Theodore Anthony Leslie N** will be a simple, tidy little "Theo" to anyone that matters anyway.

birdofthenorth Sun 07-Aug-11 17:56:46

Do those on here with DC with two middle names say it all out loud often? I often call DD her full name of Elizabeth Mary, esp in mock discipline & praise. I would consider two middle names for future DC but if it meant I never really said the full name out loud that'd make me sad.

Two middle names is fine, and fairly common in my experience.

Birdofthenorth: full name very rarely said out loud - perhaps only on wedding day?

Forms often don't require both names, or if there's not enough room I put one middle name and the initial of the second middle name. No big deal. I don't fill out that many forms anyway.

Ellypoo Sun 07-Aug-11 21:18:09

I think 2 MNs is quite normal, isn't it? Our DC is likely to have at least 2 middle names because we are struggling to choose!! We will have either DH's Mum's maiden name (DH 3rd name) or my Dad's surname as the 2nd middle name - depends on whether it's a girl/boy and which family name we choose!! DH has 2 middle names, and I think it flows nicely, rather than being a mouthful!!

HeidiHole Sun 07-Aug-11 21:26:13

Sounds OK. 2 middles names is pretty normal.

If you really want to shorten it, then presuming baby is having dads surname it seems fair to have mothers father as middle name.

mumatron Sun 07-Aug-11 21:29:52

it's fine. my ds is Jack S*** A**** B******. we very rarely use all names, only if he is being especially naughty.

SandStorm Sun 07-Aug-11 21:32:28

My children both have two middle names. We chose their first names together and then one middle name each. Obviously we had veto over each other's choice but everyone's happy this way.

notlettingthefearshow Sun 07-Aug-11 21:41:41

One middle name is plenty in my opinion. Any more is tedious.

rhetorician Sun 07-Aug-11 21:49:58

notlettingthefearshow - in general I would agree with you, but in my case it's the only way that dcs can have my name - not all circumstances are the same, and some families like to retain a family name that would otherwise disappear (my DP's mother had 5 daughters, and no nieces or nephews, so her name would have died out, for example). Also as is clear from the posts here, many countries have quite specific traditions - often involving the continuation of the maternal name/line - given that nearly all women that I know (married or not, using their own names at work or not) have children who have their father's surnames, this seems like a nice tradition to me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now