Talk

Advanced search

William - going to be popular this year?

(10 Posts)
strawberrypenguin Sat 06-Aug-11 16:00:07

My DH and I really like the name William, however we are a bit worried that there are going to be loads of Williams this year following the Royal Wedding and don't want our DS to be one of 5 in a class! What do you think, are there lots of baby Williams at the moment or not?

diddl Sat 06-Aug-11 16:13:13

I don´t think it will be made more popular by the wedding tbh.

I should imagine it peaked when he was named it though!

Indith Sat 06-Aug-11 16:31:56

William is always popular, doubt the wedding will make much difference.

lchodge Sat 06-Aug-11 16:39:36

I know loadsa Williams of all ages. Like David or Steven, always popular.

exoticfruits Sat 06-Aug-11 16:47:24

William is always popular-it is a classic.

strawberrypenguin Sat 06-Aug-11 16:53:10

Thanks, I know its always fairly high up the list, just a bit worried about it having a massive surge smile

poppydaisy Sat 06-Aug-11 17:06:19

I think the nickname Willy teasing option will put people off. I'm surprised it is that popular actually.

InstantAtom Sat 06-Aug-11 17:39:29

It may become a little more popular but it's such a classic it doesn't matter smile

tammytoby Sat 06-Aug-11 20:20:59

I don't think so. The nicknames aren't great imo - Will (Will, will you..), Wills (surname imo) or Willy aren't great. I think there was a surge after Prince William was born, though.

auburnlizzy78 Sat 06-Aug-11 20:47:57

It's been a well loved name for years. Now if you were to have a girl and call her Pippa there might be a bit of eye rolling at the wedding connection, but not at William. 'Tis a fabulous name, but I'm biased grin.
Royal wedding irrelevant to us, as DS was named after his late grandfather so that is the reason we give, when asked, for DS's name.

I don't think older school kids call it a "willy" anymore; there are far more popular terms. So that possible abbreviation didn't bother us. If he does get called "Willy" we'll just tell him to look mysterious and say "Well I'm called that for a reason" and wink!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now