Talk

Advanced search

Bethan

(26 Posts)
BlobTheGreat Sat 06-Aug-11 10:00:42

Just looking for girl's names. We don't know the sex of our baby but just wondered what people think of Bethan. I love it. DH says it's a possibility but he doesn't LOVE it yet.

SuburbanDream Sat 06-Aug-11 10:02:47

I love Bethan, I think it's Welsh but not sure (the Bethan I know is Welsh so maybe I'm just presuming!!)

BlobTheGreat Sat 06-Aug-11 10:06:17

It is Welsh, I am not and we don't live in Wales.. is that a problem do u think? I just love the name. Also our surname has a 'th' sound in the middle think 'Bethan Matthews' is it a bit too much?

SuburbanDream Sat 06-Aug-11 10:11:48

I think it goes very well - and Matthews is quite a common Welsh surname too!

BlobTheGreat Sat 06-Aug-11 10:18:21

Oh is it??! Haha! I didn't even know that. Thank you for your input. nice to know someone else likes it too!

puzzlesum Sat 06-Aug-11 10:25:45

My ds is friends with a Bethan at school, I think it's a lovely name.

InstantAtom Sat 06-Aug-11 10:50:59

It's a very nice name. There is a bit too much "th" with Matthews though.

youmeupstrairsnow Sat 06-Aug-11 12:26:55

I like it. It sounds fine with Matthews.

BlobTheGreat Sat 06-Aug-11 13:23:19

Bump

kimdeal Sat 06-Aug-11 13:30:21

I know a Bethan who often seems to get called Bethany (much to her parent's irritation). Hmm, if concerned about too many th's too close together then how about Bethany Matthews?

agora1 Sat 06-Aug-11 17:42:39

I absolutely love this name and tried to convince my husband to go for Beth, Bethan or Bethany. He wouldn't. My youngest does have a Welsh name however and we have no Welsh connections. I don't see it as a problem.

littletrain1 Sat 06-Aug-11 19:03:05

I prefer Beth.

stardustn Sat 06-Aug-11 19:04:25

I like it smile And much nicer than Bethany IMO

BlobTheGreat Sat 06-Aug-11 20:37:05

Really not as keen on Bethany it's a very different sounding name to me and I think it may irritate me if people confuse the name. I think Bethan is an elegant beautiful and yet strong name whereas bethany just seems a bit 'blahhhhh' to me kind of wishy washy and frilly. But thank you all for your input.

I am hoping I can convince DH as he is wanting Annabel for a girl sad nothing against annabel but it just doesn't seem to fit with me. A bit too frilly again I think. Thankfully we both agree on boy's name!

ellangirl Sat 06-Aug-11 20:58:48

I like it (much more than bethany) also like Bethia.

deemented Sat 06-Aug-11 21:00:29

Beth/Bethan but not Bethany.

BlobTheGreat Sun 07-Aug-11 08:51:49

Thanks all. A lot of you agree with me on the Bethan/ Bethany debate which is nice! Strange as Bethany is always much more popular than Bethan but it has not go tthe same appeal to me at all.

Think DH is coming round to the idea! grin

ShoutyHamster Sun 07-Aug-11 08:57:24

Definitely Bethan not Bethany!

Very different names (oddly)

In Wales, pronunciation is Beth-AN, definitely not Bethun... which you'll probably get a lot of in England. Still a very nice name though!

Bethan86 Sun 07-Aug-11 09:06:26

For obvious reasons I think its a lovely name :-) I liked that fact that there was never that many around when I was growing up but i think Beth/Bethan/Bethany has become more popular recently!

I completely agree on the Bethany front though its just not the same, i have come across people who like to add a y to my name but only happens very ocassionally now and only ever in England!

For whats its worth I think it goes great with Matthews :-)

lilbreeze Sun 07-Aug-11 09:07:09

I love it, but DH vetoed it as being too Welsh sad

A bit similar to Lauren IMO. Not frilly, not girly, just lovely.

chimchar Sun 07-Aug-11 09:11:39

i like bethan. i think its a good, solid, stand alone name. not frilly or fussy, but still feminine.

i know a bethan who is nn beth which is nice, but also betsy, which i love!

BlobTheGreat Sun 07-Aug-11 09:12:50

Wow lovely comments so far. Thought there'd be a few more negatives but I love it so much I don't think it would put me off! I really hope people don'y add the 'y' to the end!!!

stegasaurus Mon 08-Aug-11 11:37:34

I love Bethan and it was on my shortlist for DD. We aren't Welsh but ended up giving her an even more Welsh name.

Ephiny Mon 08-Aug-11 13:25:42

I like it, nice strong feminine name. Bethany is OK, though I agree the 'y' changes the name, makes it a bit more...I don't know, almost twee. Bethan is lovely though.

birdofthenorth Mon 08-Aug-11 14:10:17

I like Bethan. Much nicer than Bethany IMO. You will get asked about Welsh links a lot though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now