Talk

Advanced search

Stanley or Benjamin?

(21 Posts)
victoriapinn Fri 05-Aug-11 12:59:43

Hello, Our baby boy was born on Monday and we just can't decide whether to call him Benjamin Stanley or Stanley Benjamin. I'm worried that the name Stanley has become super popular in this area (south east London) over the past year or so and that there will be loads of Stans in his nursery. But then again Benjamin is far from uncommon so may have the same issue? Aagh! Any thoughts/opinions gratefully received!

pinkgirlythoughts Fri 05-Aug-11 13:05:04

I think Stanley Benjamin flows slightly better.

Although Benjamin is more popular than Stanley, it made a drop in popularity last year, of about 7 places, I think. By contrast, Stanley, although less popular overall, made a massive leap, so probably will have a much more 'trendy' feel to it. That may well make it likely that he won't be the only Stan in his nursery. But then, as you say, he wouldn't necessarily be the only Ben, either!

youmeupstrairsnow Fri 05-Aug-11 13:13:32

Stanly Benjamin goes better but I can't really see a teenage boy called Stan. Atleast with benjamin there are lots of nn possibilities.

I always think common names and not being the only one in your class called it is okay if it's a normal/traditionally sort of name (that there is always a lot of) where as just being a very popular trendy name at the time could be a bit odd and stand out and just be annoying Also it may be a very 2010's name (and a older mans) so it may always show how old they are.

On balance then I'd go for Benjamin Stanley

stardustn Fri 05-Aug-11 13:29:37

I'd also say Benjamin Stanley smile

exoticfruits Fri 05-Aug-11 13:34:16

Benjamin Stanley (then he can keep the Stanley a secret)

InstantAtom Fri 05-Aug-11 16:50:41

Benjamin Stanley

BatFlattery Fri 05-Aug-11 18:09:26

Benjamin Stanley

MagicBus Fri 05-Aug-11 19:00:11

my baby is called stanley :D i think its a cool name !

said Fri 05-Aug-11 19:02:06

Benjamin first definitely. Classic v trendy

MelinaM Fri 05-Aug-11 21:28:49

Stanley Benjamin is just lovelysmile Congratulations!!!

Casmama Fri 05-Aug-11 21:31:11

Congratulations, I would go for Benjamin, its lovely. Stanley doesn't really do it for me so would drop it entirely.

wheredidyouputit Sat 06-Aug-11 10:09:04

Go for Benjamin Stanley. I have a Stanley and am worried it's getting trendy grin. I know 3!

lchodge Sat 06-Aug-11 10:18:54

Benjamin Stanley

LetThereBeRock Sat 06-Aug-11 11:22:43

Benjamin is lovely. Stanley is awful,and Benjamin Stanley flows better.

victoriapinn Sat 06-Aug-11 11:58:34

Thank you so much for all the comments so far - it is really appreciated. I've been leaning more towards Benjamin but unfortunately my OH currently prefers Stanley. Think we're going to have to set ourselves a deadline or we'll be going round in circles forever! Wheredidyouputit, would you mind me asking whereabouts you live? Thanks again everyone!

hokeycakey Sat 06-Aug-11 12:18:42

Stanley Benjamin, love Stanley!

wheredidyouputit Sat 06-Aug-11 12:21:03

Hampshire.

I think it went up to 80-something in the name charts this year. I doubt it will become a hugely popular name (it's too love it / hate it) but I think there'll be more of them for a few years yet.

poppydaisy Sat 06-Aug-11 12:26:35

He'll end up as either Ben or Stan - so I'd choose which of these you prefer and go better with your surname. You never use the middle name and rarely the full name.

Personally I'm not keen on either, Ben is a little dull and Stan wouldn't work in other languages (maybe no concern for you).

spiderlight Sat 06-Aug-11 12:28:38

Benjamin Stanley, definitely.

babycham42 Sat 06-Aug-11 20:10:31

Stanley Benjamin - lovely!

tammytoby Sat 06-Aug-11 20:23:15

Not sure I particularly like either Ben or Stan but if I had to choose, I'd say Stan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now