Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

running out of time.. need opinions on my final baby boy name list please!!

(28 Posts)
BillysClaire Thu 04-Aug-11 13:07:02

Our 2nd baby is due very soon and we are having another little boy. I feel like we are finally getting somewhere with our list. Opinions or which do you prefer or new suggestions?

Harry James

Alfie William

Harry Joseph

Alfie James

Oliver William

Harry Thomas

Freddie James

Oliver Thomas

Thank you smile

stardustn Thu 04-Aug-11 13:09:19

My favourites are Oliver Thomas, Oliver William and Harry James smile

chaya5738 Thu 04-Aug-11 13:17:41

Oliver.

I don't like nicknames given as fullnames.

MelinaM Thu 04-Aug-11 13:38:33

Oliver William, I like Harry James but would prefer Henry Jamessmile

nextbaby666 Thu 04-Aug-11 13:42:10

I love the name Freddie James! Harry James also sounds really nice. How about Oliver James or Freddie William?

BillysClaire Thu 04-Aug-11 13:43:11

I love all of them... so difficult!

Is anyone liking any of the Alfie or Harry combos??

rachel234 Thu 04-Aug-11 13:49:24

All very very popular names, that would put me off personally. But if I had to choose, I'd probably say Alfred, nickname Alfie.

mich54321 Thu 04-Aug-11 14:50:12

Favs Oliver William, Oliver Thomas, Harry James (prefer Henry James). Not keen on the Freddie / Alfie names - too cutsey for a grown man

CherryDrops Thu 04-Aug-11 15:37:03

Alfie James or Oliver William for me.

mathanxiety Thu 04-Aug-11 15:50:32

I really dislike Alfie.

Harry is fine but prefer Henry on the birth cert. Henry Joseph or Joseph Henry would be very nice imo.

My favourite from your list is Oliver Thomas. Thomas Oliver would be nice too. Joseph William or William Joseph (names on your list but not in combination) might be nice too.

IssyStark Thu 04-Aug-11 16:24:43

I'm another of the 'don't like nicknames as first names' school. It gives the person too few options in later life. Personally I'd go with Henry (NN Harry, Hal), Frederick (NN Fred, Freddie) or Alfred (NN Alfie, Alf, Freddie etc) and let your kid have a choice of nicknames in later life.

From your list, given that I'm not keen on nn, I'd go for either of the Oliver combinations but I do really like Alfred James.

MEBMotherof3 Thu 04-Aug-11 18:29:31

Harry Joseph or even Joseph as a first name?

spotty26 Thu 04-Aug-11 18:46:30

We have an Alfred James, shortened to Fred, lengthened to Alfredo, mainly just Alfred and he really suits it.

pilates Thu 04-Aug-11 18:50:40

All lovely names. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Iamkenny Thu 04-Aug-11 19:04:27

Harry James - it goes but too much like Henry James (or is this just me)

Alfie William - Like it. But Alfie v.popular and I don't get the attraction personally

Harry Joseph - bit of a moutful to say somehow

Alfie James - Better than with William

Oliver William - I want to add an s on the end of William (that might just be me), but does go well

Harry Thomas - It's alright but nothing to jump up and down at.

Freddie James - Not a fan on Freddie (hate fredrick etc if they get older and don't feel they can use Freddie work wise etc they can drop the die and just be Fred which is fine). But goes

Oliver Thomas - goes really well

- if you like just the nn and as they are all names that can stand alone (as Harry is) and you are only ever going to call them that. Stick that on birth.cert.

InstantAtom Thu 04-Aug-11 19:06:28

Harry and Alfie are too nicknamey for me, although I do like Henry with nickname Harry, and Frederick with nn Freddie.

I'd go for Oliver William or Frederick James with Freddie as nickname.

muminthemiddle Thu 04-Aug-11 20:45:13

Oliver William.

EightiesChick Thu 04-Aug-11 20:47:11

Henry James, using Harry day to day.

plinkplonk Thu 04-Aug-11 20:51:18

Harry James is great.

Greenwing Thu 04-Aug-11 21:01:04

Oliver William gets my vote since you don't mind popular names. Harry Joseph is my second choice.
Sorry, like many others I find the others rather nicknamey once you get him beyond primary school (mother of teenage boys talking here). Therefore, if you don't want to use the full name the best option IMO is Oliver William.

GetOutMyPub Thu 04-Aug-11 21:11:25

Hmm, I like all of them.
Do any of your middle names have family connections? Because if not, I would just cut down the first name list to around 3/4 names and then decide on the first name once you have met DS. And then decide on the middle name after that. We choose DS2 name & then used one of the rejects for his mn (Henry George)

Oliver William has too many syllables imo
I love Freddie & had Fred on my "list" but Dh hated it sad

And to go against the grain, I don't see the point in naming a child one name, to be known by another. If you like Harry/Alfie/Archie etc then just call them that! I don't get the nn thing! I hate it when people shorten mine or my kids names. My name is my name!

Flowerista Thu 04-Aug-11 21:14:28

I have Oliver nn Ollie. All Olivers I have met have the glint of the devil in their eye so beware. That said I wanted a name I liked that my DC wouldn't be embarrassed by if they were introducing themselves as adults, or with ridiculous spellings that meant they were forever correcting people!

33goingon64 Thu 04-Aug-11 21:43:47

They are all lovely. You can't go wrong with these names. We have a Thomas which we shorten to Tom but it's been quite hard convincing family and anyone who heard we had a 'Thomas' to now call him Tom, but think as he gets older and uses his name himself he will choose which he wants to be. At least he can choose as we went for the full name.

SmethwickBelle Thu 04-Aug-11 21:49:29

Joseph is a wonderful name - why not have it as a first name - it can be Joe as a nickname, lovely on a toddler or a teenager, so versatile. Joseph James works particularly well, not that you need any more suggestions!

Not remotely biased. Honest. grin

Out of the others, Alfred James would be nicest, has a good rhythm to it I wouldn't write Alfie on a birth certificate as its more of a nickname in my view.

They're all nice though, am sure one will start rising to the top in your mind!

RubyFakeNails Thu 04-Aug-11 23:50:50

Freddie James is the best, also I think it nn to Fred very nicely and Fred is suitable for all ages. A banker or a builder could be Fred I don't think the same about the other names apart from maybe Harry although I'd say Alfie would be my second choice as its so cute.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now