Talk

Advanced search

Vita? Vida?

(21 Posts)
birdofthenorth Thu 04-Aug-11 11:18:45

What do you think? Love Victoria nn Vita, as in Sackville West, but Vida might provoke less Ryvita teasing!

EdithWeston Thu 04-Aug-11 11:20:33

I love Victoria/Vita!

Vida makes me think "empty"

MelinaM Thu 04-Aug-11 11:56:43

I like both, but do prefer Vitasmile Vita is an elegant and classic name.

Empusa Thu 04-Aug-11 12:01:15

Just a warning, the newest games console is called Vita.

RickGhastley Thu 04-Aug-11 12:02:27

Prefer Vita, it's so elegant.

Another one here who associates Vida with empty!

smother Thu 04-Aug-11 12:07:25

vita is beautiful!!

birdofthenorth Thu 04-Aug-11 12:27:32

Really Empusa? How annoying! Is this going to make naming DD Vita like calling her Wii or PS3?!

Folicacid Thu 04-Aug-11 12:29:00

I associate Vida with Life. Have considered both. Good taste wink

Empusa Thu 04-Aug-11 12:29:16

It might be confused It's the PlayStation Vita, and it should be out before Xmas. So, depending on when you are due, it may look like you are naming her after it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, it would be a beautiful name!

festi Thu 04-Aug-11 12:33:39

having watched mildred pearce I dont think I could like that name.

also the playstaion would put me off, shame though it has a pretty sound to it.

Greenwing Thu 04-Aug-11 21:18:51

Vida - don't like it - immediately makes me think of Ricky Martin 'Living la vida loca'. Also 'empty'.

Vita makes me think of Vita Sackville-West (and a little bit of Ryvita but still like it). I like the nn 'Vee'

ragged Thu 04-Aug-11 21:21:49

Almost nobody ordinary eats Ryvita, I reckon.
I don't like Vida as nn, though, because it means something else in Spanish.

mskatemc Thu 04-Aug-11 21:27:36

Oh Vita is lovely, that's such a shame about the games console. Maybe it'll tank...

Viva La Vida by Coldplay is what I thought of with your second choice, so it depends if you're a fan.

It can be difficult to prescribe a nn though, my sister has always been Vic even though my mum never intended it.

mistressploppy Thu 04-Aug-11 21:37:03

Vita is wonderful. Reminds me of the very beautiful baroque opera La Vita Humana - here

birdofthenorth Thu 04-Aug-11 23:21:03

MsKate good point re prescribing nns, and I'm not keen on Vicky. However DD1 is Elizabeth nn Bess so I'm risking her ending up as something else anyway!

birdofthenorth Thu 04-Aug-11 23:23:16

MistressP great to know thanks, esp as my mum is a huge opera buff so will know the references! It doesn't feature anyone called Vita as a whore/ tragic heroine/ murderer etc does it?!

mistressploppy Fri 05-Aug-11 12:01:21

grin No; Vita is the central character (ie she is 'every human') and the other characters are Guilt, Understanding, Innocence etc. Here (my dad put it on in Glasgow, a long time ago). It's pretty unheard of so you can impress your mum!

birdofthenorth Fri 05-Aug-11 14:51:02

Thanks that's lovely to know * MistressP*!

SageMist Sat 06-Aug-11 08:52:30

I had a relative called Vida, short for Davida. She was confident, forthright and kind. Admirable qualities. Would have named my DD the same, but DH vetoed.

SaffronCake Sat 06-Aug-11 09:12:23

Commiserations on the playstation thing. I was really sold on Vala for a girl, until my 22 y/o stepson declared it to be like the home planet of a Superhero's baddy. Images of cheap violet nylon capes have never cleared my mind since. sad

tammytoby Sun 07-Aug-11 21:24:14

Love the name Vita. Sounds lovely ane elegant and works well in most other languages too. I wouldn't worry about some play station thing, it won't be around forever and people will associate Vita with your dd once they meet her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now