Talk

Advanced search

If I want my dd's name to be pronounced Kate-lin...

(13 Posts)
stardustn Wed 03-Aug-11 22:47:04

Do you think I should I spell it Caitlin? I'm not a fan of creative spellings in general, but after reading posts on here in old threads saying that Caitlin should be pronounced Cotch-leen or similar and that pronouncing it as Kate-lin is an anglised and almost as bad as pronouncing Niamh as Nim, I'm starting to doubt the spelling.

If you saw Caitlin written down, would you assume it was pronounced Kate-lin? I don't want her to have to go through life constantly correcting people as I have with my name.

TIA

sleeplessinderbyshire Wed 03-Aug-11 22:51:41

i'd always pronounce caitlin kate-lynn

HowNowKernow Wed 03-Aug-11 22:52:22

In my experience Caitlin has always been pronounced Kate-lin. Thats in England and Wales, don't know about Scotland or Ireland though.

stardustn Wed 03-Aug-11 22:53:10

Oh, yes this is in England smile Sorry, I should have added that.

maxmissie Wed 03-Aug-11 22:54:30

I'd agree with Caitlin being pronounced Kate-lin, know two people with this spelling and both pronounced this way, would also pronounce it like this myself. Never heard of any other way of saying it.

BooyHoo Wed 03-Aug-11 22:54:51

it depends where you live TBH. if you are in england then i think most people will automatically think caitlin is pronounced kate-lin. in ireland it is pronounced both ways. if you want it pronounced kate-lin then just spell it katelin/katelyn.

BooyHoo Wed 03-Aug-11 22:56:04

x-post. i think you will be fine in england with the caitlin spelling.

deste Wed 03-Aug-11 22:57:44

My friends GD is Caitlin and is pronounced Kate lyn. This is Scotland.

uninspired Wed 03-Aug-11 22:59:20

DD has three friends with that pronounciation - two spelt Caitlin, one complete with fada and another where the name is spelt Katelyn

BooyHoo Wed 03-Aug-11 23:05:11

i am in n.ireland and i know a caitlin (katelin), a caitlín (cotch-leen) and a katelyn (as spelt). people will only need to be told once that her name is pronounced kate-lin.

my son's name is a really old irish name that isn't pronounced how it is spelt and we never have any trouble. people either attempt it and he corrects them or they ask how to say it. it doesn't bother him and once they know, they know.

stardustn Wed 03-Aug-11 23:11:29

Thanks everyone- it sounds like it's just be being paranoid and spelling it Caitlin should be fine smile

BooyHoo- I'm just over-anxious about the pronunciation issue with names because my own name has several different ways to pronounce it, and people often call me by the most popular way without asking, which is not the way I say it, and I hate correcting people. A few people have even tried to correct me on how to pronounce my own name before shock

Tuschinski Thu 04-Aug-11 09:35:57

I am in Ireland and would pronounse Caitlin Kate-Lyn

stardustn Thu 04-Aug-11 13:06:11

Ok, thanks, that's reassuring smile

At the moment it looks like she will be Caitlin Saoirse Eden smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now