Talk

Advanced search

I was just wondering...since the 2010 stats have been released would you now go with a different name??

(58 Posts)
scarlettlips Fri 29-Jul-11 11:34:23

Hi All,

I was just wondering...since the 2010 stats have been released would you now go with a different name, If the name you liked was in the top 10 or even 50???

Say if you wanted to call future DD, Jessica would you know change it to something else or would you just say..' oh blow it, I don't care about stats'

Just interested being a nosy cow really grin blush grin

MummyDoIt Fri 29-Jul-11 11:37:16

I'd be put off, to be honest. Both DH and I really loved Jack as a name, plus his dad and my grandad were both called Jack so it has family history. However, we were put off using it as it had been the most popular boys name for years and years by the time our DSs were born. Ironically, there isn't a single Jack in their school at the moment so maybe we were silly to be put off. I do love the names we went with, though.

ellangirl Fri 29-Jul-11 11:43:10

I would personally. My preference is to not have a popular name for my DCs. My DS's name appears around the 200 mark on the rankings, which is fine by me. I checked my favourite names for future DCs and am reassured that they are not at all popular! I have no idea why it is important to me, it just is!

scarlettlips Fri 29-Jul-11 11:43:30

MummyDoItI agree..last week I took DD to the health visitor to be weighed and we met a 6 month old Jack (utter cute) His mother was telling me she's not met another Jack in over a year!

My friend wanted a Jack but went with Sebastian and is now kicker herslef as Sebastian is very popular too!

So where are all these children being born hmm as I've not met any babies in either top 10 in the last 14 months and we live in SW London!

You really can beat em, might as well join them!!

scarlettlips Fri 29-Jul-11 11:45:18

My DD is top end of 400 (phweee) and future girls names are also very towards the back...boys however aren't hmm sad

ellangirl Fri 29-Jul-11 11:45:30

They're all being born in my town scarlett- the top 10 lists read like a list of all our friends children.

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 29-Jul-11 11:47:00

I've just answered on the other thread. I'd be put off, yes if I found a potential name had rocketed up the charts.

Eglu Fri 29-Jul-11 11:49:34

DD who is 4 weeks old is in the top 5 in England and top 10 in Scotland where we are. I'm not happy as it was DHs choice, and if we'd gone with mine it would have been bottom of top 100.

I don't want my child to be one of 3 in her class with the same name.

scarlettlips Fri 29-Jul-11 11:50:17

Well my friend did have a baby James last week...but that doesn't count in the 2010 stats.

It boggles me...it does!

Tuschinski Fri 29-Jul-11 11:53:52

I'm another it would bother but can't really say why. If I really loved a name I suppose I'd still choose it, worst scenario is to pick a name that wasn't your 1st choice because it's unusual and then have it shoot up the charts in future years. If you really love it, you won't mind so much.

muminthemiddle Fri 29-Jul-11 11:59:40

Not sure.
I am with you about Jacks though, I hardly know any!

pregnantpause Fri 29-Jul-11 12:07:16

Seems Im alone but I couldnt care a jot. I may be biased as i have 2 dds with very common names. i knew they were both popular. One in top ten, one in top 20, when i chose them. But they were the names we loved/love. And as you have said it seems regionally they are not so popular. dd1 enters school in sept(266pupils) with only 2 other girls sharing her name, both years older than her.
We know NO other babies with dd2s name, although a few with a similar variant, doesnt bother me at all.

PipFEH Fri 29-Jul-11 12:34:40

James is in the top 10 isn't it? Or is that what you mean Scarlett? Sorry, my brain is rubbish today!

I also know no Jacks or Olivers at all - I think it is very regional! I know lots and lots of Jacobs, which I realise is a popular name, but compared to Jack and Oliver it isn't!

MelinaM Fri 29-Jul-11 16:01:55

Yes it would bother me! I was one of three 'Victoria's' in my class at primary school and was forever known as 'Victoria A', and so was not seen as an individual but as 'one of the Victoria's', very irritating indeed! (Name not actually Victoria grin )

So yes I'd go for a more unusual /unpopular name for any future DC'ssmile

Meglet Fri 29-Jul-11 16:05:42

I wouldn't have to. I deliberately refused to use any names in the top 100 of the 2006 - 2008 lists for my dc's. My name is so common I didn't want to do that to them.

scarlettlips Fri 29-Jul-11 19:52:09

Pip Yes James is in the Top 10 for 2010. I don't know any born last year. But my friend had a James 3 weeks ago.

I'm the same we also didn't go for a popular girls name...however the only boys names i like are in the top 25! Oh well.....such is life

NotJustKangaskhan Fri 29-Jul-11 20:33:48

I wouldn't change the names on my short list but it does give help give a realistic picture of what's going on outside of the people I know. I've found it interesting that the name most people I talked to said they disliked (Franklin with 51 boys) is far more popular than those names they do like (Emmett, for example, only had 14 boys last year, which mildly shocked me). To me, all my names seem normal and lovely, but this is kinda the ultimate public opinion poll on names.

But to be fair, the popularity doesn't really affect me as only my DS1 and DD1 are in the top 100, and only just. DD2's name and the names of my short list for DC4 aren't even in the top 500 (and they are all 'normal', traditionally spelt names). We're just not very fashionable with names, and I guess with a very common surname that isn't so bad.

sunshinejanuary Fri 29-Jul-11 21:28:45

My daughter's name has crept up quite rapidly and I do mind - simply because I have a 'normal' name that is uncommon for my generation and I liked the fact that in class there weren't four of us all having to turn round when our name was said. I would also like to avoid this for my daughter. However, it is the best name in the world so I am not suprised others are using it ;)

Would it put me off? Well, in choosing for further children I would probably try to steer clear of the top 20 but it wouldn't definitely effect our decision.

icefly Fri 29-Jul-11 21:34:44

I have always loved Zach for a boy, and have somehow convinced DH (we are going for Zachary). Am slightly annoyed that it becoming more and more popular, but dont think we could change now, so used to refering to bump as a potential Zach

Nihilisticbunny Fri 29-Jul-11 21:41:05

I wouldn't really care tbh, my ds2's name is now in the top 20, meh haven't met another one round here, however have met lots of ds1's name which is in the 70's.

Very confused by number 99 on the girls list tbh "Maryam" is that an actual name???? Or just a misspelling of "Miriam", never heard it before ever, 500 odd girls were named it though confused

PeterSpanswick Fri 29-Jul-11 21:49:08

My son's name is in the top ten, as are both names we are considering for his new brother (we obviously have zero imagination)!

It doesn't bother me in the slightest and we won't be reconsidering our choices due to the new list.

I would rather they had classic, traditional names than the made-up type which prompt endless requests to spell, pronounce e.t.c. or from which people will form opinions of them before ever meeting them (Tee-jay et al).

I'm sure they will find their own reasons to stand out from the crowd other than the names I decided to give them!

SharperSeven Fri 29-Jul-11 21:54:53

The thing is, you might choose a name which does not even feature in the lists, only to find it becomes madly popular a while later. Whe I chose DS's name, it was considered very unusual, but by the time she was about 8 there was a child of that name in every soap on TV. Oh well, at least she is still pretty much the only one of her peers to have that name.

Continuum Fri 29-Jul-11 22:03:54

Bump's name is in the top 20, our other choices were waaaaaaay down the list, but as we refer to bump by nickname of his name there's no way we'd change it now. Is quite strange going to popular from ds's name which is one of those not on the list for its year because he's no doubt the only one.

Nihilisticbunny Maryam is a Muslim name.

KateBC Fri 29-Jul-11 23:56:40

I love the name jack, but couldn't use it due to it's popularity, cos I was concerned that if there were more than one in the class they would use the initial of our surname. Which is C.

Jack C...

Thought that would be a little unfair!

ellangirl Sat 30-Jul-11 09:00:48

brilliant KateBC! I did once teach a class that had 5 out of 15 boys called Jack...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now