Talk

Advanced search

Naming children after people/things/places

(19 Posts)
wehavenochairs Thu 28-Jul-11 23:19:30

My sister DC is named after a character in ET, another sister's DC is named after a character from the Breakfast Club.

I also know of childrern named after characters from their parents favourite book when they where young.

One of my DC is named after someone, a political thinker

I don't just mean liking a name that happens to be a character etc but actively naming DC after said character or person or place

Something to actively do? Or can it get a bit silly??

Just want to know MN thoughts on it

BahHumPug Thu 28-Jul-11 23:27:42

I think naming a child after someone can put expectations upon them. I mean a child named 'Lenin' who ends up a Conservative MP is always going to be a bit of a let-down from the name, IYSWIM.

Equally, naming a child after a relative also inhibits some of their individuality in my opinion. A child should have a name that is their own, that they can mould themselves rather than having somebody else's foisted upon them. Maybe as a middle name.

Naming a child after a philosopher or an author is just a bit poncey in my opinion. So no, on reflection, I don't like it grin If you liked the name anyway and it happens to coincide with your favourite character / author etc then great, but it shouldn't be the sole reason for naming your child.

IvyAndGold Thu 28-Jul-11 23:31:00

I wanted to give DD the middle name Artemis as that was name of the amazing midwife who delivered her, and DD was also her first ever proper complete delivery. But DP wouldn't have it sadsadsad

BadRoly Thu 28-Jul-11 23:33:34

We've done it - dc4 is named after a church...

MelinaM Fri 29-Jul-11 00:33:42

As long as it's not too 'out there' I don't see why notsmile

MrsShrekTheThird Fri 29-Jul-11 01:25:50

I wouldn't name a child after a place - Birmingham Jones would sound a bit daft on the register in Y2 doncha think? if we'd called ds1 after our honeymoon destination he'd have been called Garda hmm poor sod!!

That said, my dc all have one of their names from a family member who is no longer with us, and know where that name originated and why they have it. They also have a name that's entirely their own, chosen just because "we liked it". Would happily have called a child after a literary character, but also agree that naming them deliberately after authors or philosophers etc is waayyyy too poncey. And an awesome opportunity for bullies.

chelspa Fri 29-Jul-11 05:42:06

I was named after the area of London, Chelsea. I'm actually okay with that in that I know it had sentimental value/reasons to my mom.

AnathemaDevice Fri 29-Jul-11 07:05:52

DS is named after the bass player of the Manic Street Preachers. It seemed appropriate, as DH and I met through being Manics fans. We did get some raised eyebrows at first, but 2 years on no-one seems to even remember. It is a perfectly sensible name though, and it suits him perfectly.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sat 30-Jul-11 19:54:26

My friend's son is Johnny Ramone Surname! He quite likes the Johnny bit.

allhailtheaubergine Sat 30-Jul-11 19:59:05

Not necessarily their first names, but within my daughter's name is the flower I adore which blooms at the time of year she was born, and my son has the name of a singer Dh and I both admire.

Trouble is, we are now expecting number 3 and feel we ought to think of something else 'meaningful' to include in his or her name. The other two came very naturally.

LetThereBeRock Sat 30-Jul-11 20:22:06

It depends. I think naming one's child after an entire football team is 'naff' to say the least,but otherwise I think it's fine.

If/When I have children,if I have a son then I'll probably give him the name,first only,of my favourite musician. It's a name that I loved anyway.

DP would like to name a ds for a very famous scientist.

Galena Mon 01-Aug-11 14:08:37

We named DD after an island (Skye) as we had a holiday there booked for when I went off work on maternity leave (It was where we went for our first holiday together), but then she arrived at 27 weeks, so since we couldn't go to Skye, Skye came to us (DH's phrase!). I love that she has a story to her name.

LaTristesse Mon 01-Aug-11 21:38:26

Love it Anathema...!grin

MadStaringEyes Mon 01-Aug-11 22:05:30

I was named after my Elvis Costello's wife.

Ds1's middle name is a village in Northumberland and a family name.

Ds2's middle name is my Grandad's name.

I don't see a problem with it, so long as it's not daft.

KateBC Tue 02-Aug-11 07:17:41

DS1 is named after the baby in the labyrinth!

At least it wasn't the monster!

birdofthenorth Tue 02-Aug-11 09:27:43

DS's first name is DH's Grandad's (DS was born on the anniversary of his death).

DD's middle name is my mum's.

Quite fancied Auden (as in WH) for a boy,or Clem (as in Clement Attlee). Haven't ruled them out for any future DS but I do worry that Auden might be seen as poncey & Clem might not suit a corporate banker etc!

englishmummyinwales Tue 02-Aug-11 17:46:20

AnathemaDevice - another MSP fan here! I would probably shy from using a 'far out' name, but your DS has a lovely and normal name! (Btw, my BIL often sees the said bass player walking his dog as he lives round the corner from him. Have so far resisted hanging around in said park, although did once see him in a picturesque town near here and stood staring with my mouth open like an idiot). Anyway, my DS1's middle name is James, which was my choice and I told DH that I 'just liked it'. The fact that it is also the name of the lovely lead singer, on whom I have had a crush for about 15 years, is of course, entirely irrelevant! wink

PedigreeChump Tue 02-Aug-11 22:33:02

"We've done it - dc4 is named after a church..."

Was she named after where she was conceived, badroly? <snigger>

Bunbaker Tue 02-Aug-11 22:38:26

DD is named after my favourite Auntie. Both auntie (sadly no longer with us) and DD suit their names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now