Talk

Advanced search

Please help, I'm name blind and about to give birth

(35 Posts)
otchayaniye Thu 28-Jul-11 22:27:30

Which do you prefer? Frida or Flora?

I have a Carmen Lois (dead easy to name as named after Spanish grandmother and my mother)

This one is heep um hard and I fixate on one, only to wobble soon after.

Husband really likes Frida (and so do I, love the artist) whereas I think Flora offers nickname potential -- although looking at Carmen that doesn't either and no probs there.

Flora is beginning to sound a little frilly and Sloaney to me now. Not that I really think it is, though. Argghhhhhhh

Like I said, I've been through Nancy/Camille (too similar) and a host of rather weird ones (I have a thing for Old Hollywood) and I've lost my compass completely!

We both have Spanish grandparents (my side has unusable names though) and Scottish/Welsh heritage. Surname sounds like Evans but has a lovely meaning. Certain names won't work and others I like I can't use as friends have.

Elizabeth would be a family middle name.

LynetteScavo Thu 28-Jul-11 22:29:01

Frida.

ChaosTrulyReigns Thu 28-Jul-11 22:29:09

Frida is lovely and underused.

Good luck with it all.

<<mmm, newborn smell>>

hatebeak Thu 28-Jul-11 22:32:56

Frida! It's lovely.

otchayaniye Thu 28-Jul-11 22:34:01

you see, women of taste! Everyone else I've (or husband) has asked has said Frida. Nice and strong.

And thanks for the good luck.

InstantAtom Thu 28-Jul-11 22:36:11

Flora

otchayaniye Thu 28-Jul-11 22:36:37

Plus, my daughter when asked says categorically it's a Frida. She's not yet three but knows her onions

fairieswearboots Thu 28-Jul-11 23:03:27

Frida is lovely. And the nickname could be just Fri (free) which is rather fabulous no?

ellangirl Fri 29-Jul-11 08:31:27

Frida is a great name, and goes well with Carmen.

Stars22 Fri 29-Jul-11 08:36:53

How is frida pronounced? is it like Freida?

exoticfruits Fri 29-Jul-11 08:42:58

Not Frida-it is horrible. I know an elderly woman called Freda-she hated it as a DC and hates it now.

OiMissus Fri 29-Jul-11 08:43:10

I like Frida too. (but the other names are nice too - good taste!) And it's nice that it has no obvious nickname. People and friends will call her by the name she was given. Lovely.
Good luck.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 29-Jul-11 08:43:58

Oh love Frida, definitely go for it smile

proudfoot Fri 29-Jul-11 09:00:04

Personally I like Flora best but I think Frida would be great with a little Carmen and it sounds like you are leaning towards Frida, so I think you should go with it.

Catsu Fri 29-Jul-11 09:02:43

Flora!
Frida sounds odd next to carmen to me. Carmen is a bit exotic, dramatic and beautiful, frida sounds old fashioned and clunky!

TheMoistWorldOfSeptimusQuench Fri 29-Jul-11 09:12:42

I have a Flora Elizabeth!
I love her name and have never regretted it (and its her birthday today smile

minipie Fri 29-Jul-11 11:01:37

Would you consider using Elizabeth as a first name? Fab name.

How about Francesca or Frances? Would go v well with Carmen.

I think of Frida and Flora I'd choose Frida.

muminthemiddle Fri 29-Jul-11 11:57:30

I prefer Flora, sounds softer and more feminine than Frida x

LilyBolero Fri 29-Jul-11 11:59:47

Flora

MerylStrop Fri 29-Jul-11 12:02:38

Frida is beautiful, but I think it depends on surname a touch.
Flora is a bit stolid.

Purplebuns Fri 29-Jul-11 12:03:41

Flora, Frida does not have a single redeeming feature.

Ephiny Fri 29-Jul-11 12:03:41

I like Frida better, it sounds feminine but strong. Agree with Flora sounding a bit frilly, and quite dull and old-fashioned to me.

YaMaYaMa Fri 29-Jul-11 12:04:17

Flora is lovely but Frida is just beautiful I think. I also love Carmen, can I ask what nn you use please? As it's a name I love but can't think of a nn for.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Fri 29-Jul-11 12:12:58

I love Frida as a name and for the Kahlo connection. Flora is very middle-class art-history PhD student IMO and rather stuffy.

exoticfruits Fri 29-Jul-11 12:14:25

I can't think of a single redeeming feature with Frida either! I wouldn't call it beautiful-it goes with Elsie, Winifred, Ethel, Mildred, Muriel, Hilda etc-all dire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now