Talk

Advanced search

Alliterative names?

(10 Posts)
PipFEH Wed 27-Jul-11 20:37:15

Yes or no? And especially yes or no when the first name is only one syllable? Hubby and I really like Hugh, but our surname begins with an H and I am worried it sounds a bit much. I feel a bit like it's a name that can be be 'pulled off' but obviously we have no idea at this stage whether our baby will be able to pull it off or not!

BikeRunSki Wed 27-Jul-11 20:45:06

I rather like alliterative names. DS's middle names are, and am considering one for DD (due Oct), although neither alliterate with our surname.

WhipMeIndiana Wed 27-Jul-11 20:47:05

I like ..sounds a bit more cool than a normal name

GirlWithALlamaTattoo Wed 27-Jul-11 20:47:32

My first and surname alliterate, and I hate it. Some combinations work and some don't - if it would have to be "pulled off," it sounds a bit risky to me.

muminthemiddle Wed 27-Jul-11 20:47:58

Hi
I think some alliterative names sound great, others not so good. If your surname is long then it will probably sound better than if it is one syllable. For example hugh Howden sounds better than Hugh Howe.

PipFEH Wed 27-Jul-11 20:50:40

Surname is 2 syllables and has different vowels. I do find you have to consciously breathe between saying the two names though, otherwise it all runs as one iyswim. Quick fb search has revealed that other people have inflicted this name on their children, so it can't be that bad surely?

MsChanandlerBong Thu 28-Jul-11 11:48:17

I LOVE alliterative names (and have a bit of a personal theory that a lot of successful people have - or choose to have - alliterative names). I don't see why you would have to 'pull it off'. Naming someone something like Orlando Bloom is something you have to 'pull off'. Not Gareth Gates, Sharon Stone, Courteney Cox etc etc.

I wish I could have an alliterative name for my DD but our surname makes it rather difficult (currently campaigning for alliterative first and middle names!!)

IvyAndGold Thu 28-Jul-11 12:04:11

I tried to avoid it with DD and her initials would have been MM and all I could think of was Mickey Mouse grin

InstantAtom Thu 28-Jul-11 14:39:27

I think it could be awkward to say from what you've described. Would Hugo flow any better?

WaitingForBabyD Thu 28-Jul-11 15:14:20

I’m a big fan of alliterative names and have a number of good friends with them (two of whom both have a one syllable first and second name) who have never had any complaints.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now