Names to go with a long Greek surname

(14 Posts)
forevergreek Wed 27-Jul-11 11:51:53

Finding this a challenge!

Surname: Leventiotis!

So far for boys we like:
Arlo
Rowan
Aleksander (family name with several spellings - poss middle name)

for girls:
Completely stuck but love names like :
Daria - (can'y use as too similar to family names)
Marley
love evangeline and genevieve as potential middle names but they are probably too long and a bit of a mouthful.

help on both boy and girl names and opinions on current boys would be great

ellangirl Wed 27-Jul-11 12:15:55

I'd say 2 syllables would prob sound best. If you like Daria what about Della or Dana? I think Arlo is lovely.

InstantAtom Wed 27-Jul-11 12:21:30

Aleksander Leventiotis sounds great - I'd use Aleksander as first name.

If you like Daria for a girl how about Maria or Daniella?

belgo Wed 27-Jul-11 12:22:57

Love Daria too, and Dara. What about Dario for a boy?

Aleksander is great.

forevergreek Wed 27-Jul-11 12:48:54

re Arlo thanks, is my favorite at the moment

Partner is Darius, hence Daria is out so Dana would be too probably

I do like Dahlia though which I suppose we could get away with (not sure im brave enough..poor child will already have to spell surname every day)

Instantatom - that does seem a mouthful written!!

CaptainNancy Wed 27-Jul-11 12:54:41

Thea/Theo
I really love Arlo- was on my list. smile

EdithWeston Wed 27-Jul-11 12:55:36

Alesksander is great, and has lots of possible short versions, which will be handy for reducing the day to day number of syllables.

One thing to thing about is where you expect to live longterm, as it might be easier to live with the usual Anglicised version, Alexander, so he has one name he doesn't have to spell out all the time. (A friend of mine married a a man with a very unusually spelled surname, and chose very "plain" names for her children for that very reason).

For a girl, how about: Marlene, Marian, Daphne, Christina, Hermione, Penelope, Thalia?

JohnniesBitch Wed 27-Jul-11 12:59:31

i work with a lady with a greek surname similar to the one you have.
her name is Thea pronounced tayar, her family is greek and she lived in greece until the age of 12. its a lovely name.

BeattieBow Wed 27-Jul-11 13:01:11

I grew up with a long greek surname which I had to spell out all the time (and pronounce too!).

I know some children with a greek father called called Anna and Maria and Harry (although has the greek version of this I think). I also like Phoebe which has greek origins I think. Alexandra is nice too (I agree with the previous poster that I would use the anglicised Alexander).

BeattieBow Wed 27-Jul-11 13:03:54

I also know of a greek woman called Poppy (although I'm not sure it's spelt like that!).

fairieswearboots Wed 27-Jul-11 13:51:13

Zara or Zoe for a girl

Nicholas / Nico for a boy

BlueChampagne Wed 27-Jul-11 17:03:06

Olga

Love Aleksander too.

ramade Wed 27-Jul-11 17:05:31

Oona

belgo Wed 27-Jul-11 17:06:18

Irene pronounced the greek way

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now