Talk

Advanced search

Miles, Dexter, Noah

(26 Posts)
Cherrypi Wed 27-Jul-11 08:17:10

Hi all. We've found out we're having a boy. The three names we've agreed on so far are Miles, Dexter and Noah. What do you think of these names and please could you suggest some more that are similar? Thanks.

CheerfulYank Wed 27-Jul-11 08:32:18

Miles is nice. It's my favorite out of the three.

Dexter is okay and I've always liked Dex, but I think of the serial killer now I'm afraid.

Noah isn't bad but is very very popular here, so I'm a bit tired of it.

Congratulations on your DS smile

InstantAtom Wed 27-Jul-11 08:41:57

Miles (by a mile!)

Dexter too surnamey. Noah a bit moany-sounding and faddy.

StrandedBear Wed 27-Jul-11 09:15:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BulletWithAName Wed 27-Jul-11 10:02:49

I like Miles, but I prefer the Myles spelling (that's just me though), I really like Dexter as well. Not keen on Noah.

Nomdujour Wed 27-Jul-11 10:25:21

Hey, we have a Noah. My husband's choice and I wasn't overly keen at first but it has definitely grown on me. It's a gentle name. It is getting v popular!

How about Milo? We also considered Arlo and Oscar. Felix?

I like Dexter but it always puts me in mind of the tv show.

LetThereBeRock Wed 27-Jul-11 10:55:36

I love Miles and Noah.I hate Dexter.

tjacksonpfc Wed 27-Jul-11 11:35:44

My godson is Noah so love that name. Not so keen on Dexter. I used to like teh name Miles but there was one in my ds class at school who was a nightmare so has clouded my judgment somewhat.

Olivesandfeta Wed 27-Jul-11 12:59:59

Like them all
You have good taste smile
Probably in this order

Miles
Dexter
Noah

Cherrypi Wed 27-Jul-11 18:48:07

Thanks everyone. I do like Milo but it rhymes with our surname so that's out. My favourite is Miles at the moment. Would initials of MPH be to cruel? I quite like middle name Theodore.

winkle2 Wed 27-Jul-11 23:08:55

Dexter
Noah
Miles

In that order

Dexifehatz Thu 28-Jul-11 00:48:36

Our DS who is 5[pre tv series!!] is called Dexter Miles!!! Dexter is a cool name and really suits him.

PrincessJenga Thu 28-Jul-11 09:18:04

Love them all. You have good taste. If you think of any more can you let me know. Baby due any day now & we're still unsure (Ethan & Freddie winning at the moment; Noah is banned as friends already used it; Dexter keeps coming back round on our lists; Miles doesn't work with our surname)

exoticfruits Thu 28-Jul-11 09:36:17

I dislike them all. Noah is best of the bunch.

LaTristesse Thu 28-Jul-11 10:29:07

Like Miles the best. I did like Noah but it's very popular now (and I'm not one for popular!). Don't like Dexter at all...

Dexifehatz Thu 28-Jul-11 17:30:31

Our boys list included Thurston,Ezra,Gillespie,Oscar,Felix,Blue.I'll try and dig the actual list out.I seem to recall there were some pregnancy hormoned corkers on there!!!

Greenwing Thu 28-Jul-11 19:55:31

Miles is best IMO - classy and not too common (also like Myles as not the same spelling as the distance miles).

Noah is fine but it will date more as it has been popular recently.

Dexter will get a more negative reaction from some people (like me!). I feel it will date and sounds a surname. The uninteresting meaning also puts me off and it just makes me think of the word 'dexterous' and 'destra' ('right' in Italian.)
All just IMHO!

MonsterBookOfTysons Thu 28-Jul-11 19:56:56

I like all of them and Noah and Dexter were on my list but we had a little girl.
I would of had Miles to if id of thought of that one smile

proudfoot Fri 29-Jul-11 09:07:19

Miles is a brilliant name.

All nice options though.

Other suggestions:

Felix
Gideon
Theodore
Max
Elliot
Oscar
Robin
Zachary
?

Nancy66 Fri 29-Jul-11 10:01:29

They're all good names - but depends who you feel about their popularity.

The ONS released their list of names y'day and Noah has shot up the list - in my opinion it will be the next Jack.

Dexter also had a big surge - due to the book One Day ( i imagine) and as the film comes out shortly I think that will give it another boost.

BulletWithAName Fri 29-Jul-11 10:49:12

Dexter also had a big surge - due to the book One Day ( i imagine) and as the film comes out shortly I think that will give it another boost.

Never heard of the book, I thought it was down to the Dexter TV series!

Cherrypi Fri 29-Jul-11 10:59:07

Ooh I like Elliot. The ONS data yesterday is definitely making me lean towards Miles. Going to make husband look through it to see if he liked anymore names. Thanks all.

midnightexpress Fri 29-Jul-11 11:06:45

Miles and Noah both nice. Dexter sounds like a surname and also is the serial killer off the telly.

Noah v popular atm, so I'd probably go with Miles.

kenobi Fri 29-Jul-11 11:09:17

Love them all. Not least because the nicest man I know is called Miles.

lauragrace Mon 01-Aug-11 04:56:35

This thread is so funny to me! I came across it on google when typing in the name we're 95% sure on for our little boy due any day now, Dexter Noah.
I love the names people have posted on here. Dexter will join two older brothers, Felix Christian and Ezra Jackson. I love that other people like these names too!
I live in Minnesota, USA (and have lived in Utah and Michigan at the births of my other two), and people have tended to be a little surprised by our choices of names. But they fit them perfectly!
Anyhow, keep the great names coming! I love thinking about baby names. :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now