Talk

Advanced search

My maiden name as a boys middle name

(69 Posts)
NoTeaForMe Tue 26-Jul-11 15:12:53

Hi,

If we ever have a boy I would like to give him my maiden name as his middle name. What do you all think of it as an idea?!

Thanks

supadupapupascupa Tue 26-Jul-11 15:13:52

my DH's middle name was a family surname and we have passed it down to DS. I think it is a great idea smile

ednurse Tue 26-Jul-11 15:13:57

Well it would work if say my mum gave the maiden name to my brother, because it's actually a boys name to begin with.

It depends what the name is really I suppose.

BulletWithAName Tue 26-Jul-11 15:15:27

My mum did with my brother, hers was Carter and it goes nicely with the rest of his name we think.

We did similar with DS but we gave him his great nan and grandad's surname as they didn't have a son to carry on their name.

CarrieOakey Tue 26-Jul-11 15:15:27

In Scotland where my dad come from it is tradition for the eldest DD to have her mother's maiden name as her middle name. Thank goodness my dad didn't insist on the tradition being passed down to me or my middle name would have been Muddle confused

NoTeaForMe Tue 26-Jul-11 15:21:58

Thanks for all your feedback so quickly!!

It used to be really common, my Mum has done our family tree and you can see it quite a bit, but not recently at all and I don't know anyone who has done it. Wondered how 'out there' it is?!

Thanks!

iskra Tue 26-Jul-11 15:25:18

My middle name is my father's surname (my surname is my mother's surname). It's not a name, very definitely a surname, but that's never been a problem for me.

My mother's middle name is a family name - Abel, which I think is a bit weird since it is actually a boy's name!

& my DD's middle name is my surname.

So I don't think it's out there at all!

NoTeaForMe Tue 26-Jul-11 15:30:16

Thanks iskra does anyone ever think you just have a double barrelled surname?

My maiden name is a definite surname and I wouldn't want people to think we had double barrelled him, especially as we have a daughter already without my maiden name!!

Thanks

Ephiny Tue 26-Jul-11 16:00:48

I think it's a nice idea. Maybe depends a bit on the name and how well it goes with your family surname and the first name you choose for him.

minipie Tue 26-Jul-11 19:54:11

My sis and I have my mum's surname (which she didn't change) as a middle name.

No-one thinks we have a double barrelled name even though it is definitely a surname-y name.

I'll be giving either my surname (which I didn't change), or my mum's surname, as a middle name to any child I have.

I think it's really nice. But why would you only do this for sons? Why not for daughters too?

weepootle Tue 26-Jul-11 19:55:41

Both my dd's have my maiden name as a 2nd middle name. I'm scottish and it's very common there.

BikeRunSki Tue 26-Jul-11 19:58:12

This is fairly common isn't it (as in done a lot....).
DH's middle name is his mum's maiden name. It is a surname that is fairly often used as a first name though.
I know a few boys and girls who have their mum's maiden names as middle names.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Tue 26-Jul-11 21:24:41

We did that, but my maiden name had an 's' on the end, which we dropped. Think Philip/Philips. I loved keeping a little bit of my family name.

Amapoleon Tue 26-Jul-11 21:25:44

My Grandma had this.

munstersmum Tue 26-Jul-11 21:27:56

My father has his mum's maiden name as middle name. Could not have given DS mine.

scarlettlips Tue 26-Jul-11 21:28:35

Very common place in Scotland to do this....I would of given DD my maiden name as part of her middle name but I was a bit out of it and told DH "oh no don't worry about it' Doh grin

hellymelly Tue 26-Jul-11 21:28:37

My grandmother did this with all three of her sons.Her maiden name was George though so easy to fit in.

Stars22 Tue 26-Jul-11 21:29:05

I knew 3 brothers that all had the same middle name which was MacDonald after family, but all of there first names started with the same initial which i think was a silly idea.

Hassled Tue 26-Jul-11 21:29:17

Very common in America, I believe. My father's mother was from the States and he had her maiden name as a middle name. I think it's really nice.

PurveyorOfBaloney Tue 26-Jul-11 21:33:22

Both my DD and DS have my maiden name, it is a surname but is in use as a boys name too (along the lines of Marshall). They both have another second name so this is actually a 'third' name. We toyed with double-barrelling but it all becomes a bit of a mouthful.

There is no way I would give up my maiden name myself - it's part of who I am.

GnomeDePlume Tue 26-Jul-11 21:33:48

My three have two middle names, their 'own' middle name and my maiden name.

HomemadeCommunistRussia Tue 26-Jul-11 21:35:19

DH's middle name is a family surname which is fine, but it's also a girl's first name, so he hates it. I think it very much depends on the name.

beanandspud Tue 26-Jul-11 21:35:27

DH has his num's maiden name as an 'extra' middle name.

DS has my maiden name (very unusual) as a middle name as I didn't want to lose it. He'll probably hate me for it one day but I like the idea of middle names being family names.

Iggly Tue 26-Jul-11 21:38:55

We did this for DS as I thought it was important that he got my name too. We have DC2 on the way so not sure whether to do the same again - DH thinks so whereas I'm undecided!

lockets Tue 26-Jul-11 21:42:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now