Talk

Advanced search

evan or gwyneth - too welsh if not living in wales?

(14 Posts)
Poweredbypepsi Mon 25-Jul-11 20:36:08

I am welsh but moved to the north of england a few years ago. My husband is from where we live.
we are expecting dc5. All of our other children have names which we finally managed to agree on after months of no`s from him!.
I would love to name this baby after one of my grandparents who were evan or gwyneth but my husband says they are too welsh sounding considering our baby will be brought up here.

is he right? are they destined to be ridiculed?

EauRouge Mon 25-Jul-11 20:45:02

I love Evan, I'd have had it on my list if it went with my surname. I don't think Evan is too Welsh at all. Gwyneth is quite Welsh but neither one is unpronounceable or unspellable to non-Welsh people.

PaperBank Mon 25-Jul-11 20:51:20

People will probably ask if there's a Welsh connection, and you can say yes smile

hellymelly Mon 25-Jul-11 20:55:48

I love both of those.My big brother is called Evan.Although it seems to be getting strangely popular with non-Welsh families at least going by mumsnet! I have only met one other adult Evan and I know one small Evan (2).We are in Wales/Welsh.

helendigestives Mon 25-Jul-11 21:43:59

I think it's fine to name your children Welsh names since you're Welsh and you've moved to another country with your English husband.

The Evans I know are all English.

spiderlight Mon 25-Jul-11 21:51:25

I don't think they're too Welsh at all (but then I'm Welsh!). They're easy to spell and pronounce, which would be the major factors for me. I know a lovely little Evan who's being brought up in England by Welsh parents. I also know a lovely little Filipino Gwyneth grin

Continuum Mon 25-Jul-11 22:25:38

There's loads of little Evans around these days with no Welsh connections so you'll be fine. And surely given famous actress Gwyneth it's not necessarily connected with Wales.

BikeRunSki Mon 25-Jul-11 22:30:52

The only Evan I know is Greek!

MrsGravy Mon 25-Jul-11 22:58:27

<gasp!> No such thing as 'too Welsh'!! No, those names are very widely known and easy for English people to pronounce so why not?

GRW Tue 26-Jul-11 12:00:49

My name is Gwyneth and I have a Welsh mother but grew up in England. I find it is often mis-spelt as Gweneth, and I hate being called Gwen. I've been called Gwyn or Gwynnie when I was younger which I don't mind.
My sister was called Ceridwen which is a bit more unusual and difficult to get used to, but she was known as Ceri.
I like Evan too.

JemimaMuddledUp Tue 26-Jul-11 12:03:41

I think they are very good names, they are Welsh but not impossible for English people to spell or pronounce.

My mum is called Gwyneth and lived in England for a long time without people having too much trouble with it.

MovingAndScared Tue 26-Jul-11 12:05:25

my boys have very welsh names - my DH is welsh and I am not -and we live in england apart from the spelling issue with one of them - no issues. I think when your DCs get to school you will find quite a range of names-some of which are much more unsuel than the ones you are suggesting - so I think things have changed

Poweredbypepsi Tue 26-Jul-11 18:55:52

ah thanks! I am using your replies to show dh he is being too sensitive. He has very very simple taste in names e.g he actually suggested ronald for a boy - uh no.(no offence to any mums of ronalds....)

MovingAndScared Tue 26-Jul-11 21:10:33

oh and our welsh family LOVE that the boys have welsh names and especially ones with a family connection would mean a lot

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now