Talk

Advanced search

Is Emily just too popular?

(12 Posts)
llamallama Mon 25-Jul-11 13:52:08

Hi all

We are having a baby girl in a couple of months and have a shortlist of baby names...

Emily - I love but I know it's been in the top 10/5 for ages and I am concerned that it is just too popular and there will be loads in every school/playground etc

Abigail - I love this...

Jessica - Again I love.

Elizabeth - My DH loves this... I like the NNs Beth, Libby, Lilly but really don't like Liz/Lizzy and am worried that it will be sods law that if we name her Elizabeth she will end up being called Lizzy by some people!

Any thoughts on the above? Are they all just a little bit too popular? Can any one suggest any alternatives along the same vein?

I like names that have a NN possibility. Her middle name will be Ann. (family name)

mummynoseynora Mon 25-Jul-11 13:55:08

we have an Emily - the popularity didn't occur to me when we picked it... however there has never been more than one of her at preschool and her new class (starting reception in sept) only has her as an Emily too!

MelinaM Mon 25-Jul-11 16:41:45

I think Emily /Emilie has become more popular due to the similarity with Amelia / Emilia. Emily is a lovely classic name thoughsmile

Not a fan of Abigail, hate the nn Abi. Love Jess but not Jessica! ...bizarre I know!

Absolutely love Elizabeth, Libby being my favourite nn, if you call her Beth or Libby from the word go then that will be her nn.

PinkEmily Mon 25-Jul-11 21:54:37

I love it! ;-)

PinkEmily Mon 25-Jul-11 21:59:22

On a serious note though, I work in a preschool and over the last 6 years or so, we've only ever had one Emily.

I chose it because it's a lovely name, it won't date, it suits DD perfectly.

Emily Ann is really pretty.

CrumblyMumbly Mon 25-Jul-11 22:11:43

I called my dd Emily and was also worried about the popularity aspect - but it was always a name I loved and no other would do. Looking back I don't remember meeting or knowing any Emilys which also helped my choice. Emily Ann is pretty written down but say it fast and it sounds like Emma Leanne - sorry!

CrumblyMumbly Mon 25-Jul-11 22:13:15

I like Jessie rather than Jessica - not so keen on Abigail or Elizabeth.

exoticfruits Mon 25-Jul-11 22:16:30

Emily is lovely. You have no control over nicknames, it will be up to DD who, may prefer Lizzy. You are quite likely to get Jessie or Abby.

FebreezeYourJeans Mon 25-Jul-11 22:31:20

NOOOOOOOOOO no more Emilys
My 3 children know 11 between them!
No to Emily, Millie, Sophie and Evie.....PLEASE!!!

As you were grin

PaperBank Tue 26-Jul-11 09:07:47

Emily - like, it's popular but also a classic so won't date as much as some fashion names
Abigail - lovely smile
Jessica - like
Elizabeth - OK

How about Lydia, Rebecca, Sara, Lucy, Rachel, Jennifer, Coralie, Holly, Louisa?

mumblecrumble Tue 26-Jul-11 09:40:08

Emily is a fantastic name. DD not only has other Emily's at nursery but there is also another Emily [our surname] too.

And I don;t care a jot. she is brilliant and her name is too.

minibump4321 Tue 26-Jul-11 22:35:22

Dh loves emily and i did till i also thought is it to popular and not very different then i saw Melinam spelling of it as Emilie what a lovely twist i've nevr seen it like that before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now