Talk

Advanced search

Alasdair

(12 Posts)
Onlyboys Mon 25-Jul-11 10:20:47

Is this name too 'big' for a baby? We love it but not sure it fits on a LO, do people with Alisters/Alastairs/Alasdairs find that to be the case? Or does he become the name straight away?

I have seen on here people do not think it can be shortened to Alex, but we are not keen on Ali, any other nicknames used?

PaperBank Mon 25-Jul-11 10:58:35

I like it. I'd assume the most likely nickname would be Al.

LetThereBeRock Mon 25-Jul-11 13:09:32

It works very well for a baby imho,and all of the Alistairs and Alisdairs I know are known by their full name,and always have been.

LetThereBeRock Mon 25-Jul-11 13:09:51

And it's too nice to be shortened.

MelinaM Mon 25-Jul-11 16:43:34

Fabulous name, love it!

proudfoot Mon 25-Jul-11 18:41:08

I love it but my preferred spelling is Alastair followed by Alistair. Less keen on the D.

I know what you mean but I don't think it's too big for a LO. People will soon get used to the name.

pootlebug Mon 25-Jul-11 18:59:27

I think it's nice for a baby or a grownup. All the Alastairs/Alistairs/Alasdairs I have met have been known by their full name or as Al.

The only downside is that whichever spelling you choose, some people will get it wrong. But hardly the end of the world imo.

EskimoPie Tue 26-Jul-11 22:38:50

Lovely name. I really like Ali as a nn. Al sounds like some fat car salesman to me...

BibiBelle Tue 26-Jul-11 22:46:54

It reminds me of the Billy Connolly sketch about Alis D air grin

Onlyboys Wed 27-Jul-11 21:01:57

Thanks for responses, it is definitely top of our list. We want the D spelling as it will mirror our other son's name with a D in the middle, though I am off to google Billy Connolly's sketch!

lalabaloo Fri 29-Jul-11 16:17:39

I love it and it is probably going to be our boys name (when we conceive!!) as it is the only name DH absolutely loves and it is a lovely name, traditional but not too usual and I like the meaning

Redberry34 Fri 29-Jul-11 20:48:40

My ds is called Alastair and i don't shorten it. Will leave up to him when he is older if he wants to be called Ally or Al.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now