Talk

Advanced search

Manus

(25 Posts)
Onlyboys Mon 25-Jul-11 10:16:40

Please tell me what you think of this name. We have an Irish surname though we live in England.

flaminglip Mon 25-Jul-11 10:19:40

like, as in Mc Manus?

thought you'd typo'd Magnus TBH.

belgo Mon 25-Jul-11 10:20:59

Only as a nickname for Emmanuel.

Onlyboys Mon 25-Jul-11 10:23:26

Yes like McManus. It is the Irish derivation of Scottish/Scandinavian Magnus.

technotronic Mon 25-Jul-11 10:37:38

Nope, can't think of any teasing potential at school. That's one taunt proof name alright.

rhetorician Mon 25-Jul-11 10:41:02

I really like it; there's a character called Manus in Brian Friel's Translations

Onlyboys Mon 25-Jul-11 10:42:38

And the prize goes to Technotronic. . .

Should it put us off though? Should we give in to that kind of thing, kids will rhyme names with 'rude' words anyway.

Anyone know a Manus who was tortured at school and hated his name?

We do know a Manus and he wasn't, he was one of a few in the school though.

LetThereBeRock Mon 25-Jul-11 10:54:57

It's horrid.Magnus is much nicer;that g makes all the difference imho.

technotronic Mon 25-Jul-11 12:41:37

It's probably not a bad name in itself, but there are so many other nice names out there in the world, why choose one that is only 1 letter from anus? sad

HengshanRoad Mon 25-Jul-11 13:40:37

My anus.

wigglesrock Mon 25-Jul-11 14:24:00

I like Manus, I went to school with a few, they were very handsome grin Kids rhyme words - Manus doesn't rhyme with anus, and anus wasn't a rude choice of word where I was, bum hole on the other hand!!!

EdithWeston Mon 25-Jul-11 14:27:34

It's also the Latin for "hand", so there might be masturbation teasing if he went to an erudite school.

Rhubarbgarden Mon 25-Jul-11 15:55:41

Prefer Magnus.

MelinaM Mon 25-Jul-11 16:38:02

I think of Manus a character from 'Translations' the play by Brian Friel. It's a nice enough name, love Magnus thoughsmile

CandiceMariePratt Mon 25-Jul-11 16:40:01

It's just anus with an M

MelinaM Mon 25-Jul-11 16:42:14

grin ...hadn't noticed that!

superjobee Mon 25-Jul-11 16:47:41

as soon as i saw it for some reason i went man-us? man up!! in some sort of superhero voice blush but im weird grin

it doesnt put me up or down to be honest if i heard it its a bit mneh .. ?

lol at anus with an m

Onlyboys Wed 27-Jul-11 21:06:39

Superjobee - loving the 'Man-up' superhero, my DH has just replied 'Thundercats Ho' which is putting a new, unexpected spin on the name, aside from the whole anus debate.

It is probably our number two name, oh the bum jokes won't stop.

alliwant Wed 27-Jul-11 21:12:50

the first thing i saw was the word anus. sorry.

SJisontheway Wed 27-Jul-11 21:20:08

I love this name. I really wanted to use it for ds but ha e to say the anus thing put me off. I know one and he is really rugged and handsome and was never teased to my knowledge.

InMyPrime Wed 27-Jul-11 21:29:01

I know the name from Ireland and I like it - it's a good manly name. Correctly of course, it's pronounced Maw-nas (because it should be spelt with a 'fada' on the 'a' i.e. Mánus) but an English speaker reading it wouldn't know that so I can see where the 'my anus' commenters are coming from!

Bit of a shame as it's a really nice name. OTOH I wouldn't obssess over the negative side of any name. People do get a bit too hung up on the kids teasing angle - kids will tease for anything. You could call your son Jack or Will and he could still get teased because he's short or tall or has glasses or whatever.

Onlyboys Mon 01-Aug-11 21:14:23

Our DS was born on Friday and we didn't go with Manus. I do agree some nice names could die out if we give in to what kids could tease others about, but he just didn't look like a Manus.

MummysLittleSunbeams Mon 01-Aug-11 21:33:01

Congratulations - are you going to tell us what name you chose?

Bandwithering Tue 02-Aug-11 23:29:05

ah Manus! haven't heard that one outside of ireland, or on anybody under 70 but still i quite like it.

I prefer Marcus though.

argghh Thu 04-Aug-11 16:04:18

I immediately thought of Mick McManus - the wrestler from many years ago

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now