Talk

Advanced search

Is Lyra May a good girls name?

(36 Posts)
redheadbedhead Fri 22-Jul-11 19:34:14

I just spotted Lyra on another thread, and it suddenly reminded me of the Philip Pullman books....and I thought...is that such a crazy name...? We are having difficulties choosing a girls name, (May as the second name is a given, but the first name is causing probs) and in my hormonal state this is seeming quite nice....

what you all think?

PipFEH Fri 22-Jul-11 19:39:36

Yes! I think it's lovely!

Lotkinsgonecurly Fri 22-Jul-11 19:41:57

I 've just read it as Lycra may, and thought what does Lycra do! But lyra's very pretty

redheadbedhead Fri 22-Jul-11 19:44:50

lotkins grin didn't think of that, people might read it is as lycra!!! hmm...

thanks Pip!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 22-Jul-11 19:47:42

I love it, both Lyra on its own and May as a middle name with it. Lyra would be very high on our girls list if it didn't make it sound like a hooker with our surname!

redheadbedhead Fri 22-Jul-11 19:49:42

grin yeah surnames are a problem aren't they!! I always wanted Florence May but my OH is called Lawrence.... and you really can't have Lawrence and Florence....

HairyButtMonkey Fri 22-Jul-11 19:50:39

No sorry grin

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 22-Jul-11 19:51:14

mine is worse than most - that or I have a pechant for L names which all sound ridiculous with our surname!!

love your username btw, hoping our girl will be a redhead

EssentialFattyAcid Fri 22-Jul-11 19:53:08

Lyra is nice but May is too common a middle name

GastonTheLadybird Fri 22-Jul-11 19:55:17

Agree, I like Lyra but I think having May as the middle name makes it sound a bit passe tbh. If you have to have May as a middle name I would rethink.

redheadbedhead Fri 22-Jul-11 19:55:47

thanks mousey grin i hated being a ginge as a kid, but as an adult it hasnt done me any harm smile

essential May is a family name passed to all the girls, and it's part of my name, and i love it... so its staying smile

redheadbedhead Fri 22-Jul-11 19:56:53

is it passe nowadays??? blimey. i don't know anyone with that middle name apart from myself!

redheadbedhead Fri 22-Jul-11 19:59:37

I guess the other alternative is a double-barreled first name, Lyra-May. Or is that too much like the Waltons? I think I prefer it separated....

plonker Fri 22-Jul-11 20:04:11

No, it's a naughty girls name.

(Sorry, bad joke I know, but I couldn't resist wink )

YouWithTheFace Fri 22-Jul-11 20:05:04

Lyra May Lawrence sounds lovely, I think smile I don't know any Mays, but I suspect it'll start coming into fashion again now that Maisies and Mabels are popping up everywhere.

minicorrect Fri 22-Jul-11 20:10:42

Might have been my thread you saw and I love Lyra - also from the Pullman trilogy. And I think it sounds lovely with May. Even DP agrees and can't be persuaded on Lyra!

redheadbedhead Fri 22-Jul-11 20:11:25

thanks youwiththeface but I meant my husbands first name is Lawrence!blush sorry I wasn't clear!!

redheadbedhead Fri 22-Jul-11 20:13:57

and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Mabel, but with May as a second name it was never going to happen! kind of the same with Matilda too...

redheadbedhead Fri 22-Jul-11 20:17:31

minicorrect just texted my DH the name as an idea and he's not retching or anything, so I may be on to a winner! wink yay!

bebejones Fri 22-Jul-11 20:18:45

I know a 2 year old Lyra & she is the most adorable little girl. I think the name is beautiful & sounds really nice with May (although I do know lots of little girls with May/Mae as a middle name, but as a middle name that's not really a problem). smile

mamaGool Fri 22-Jul-11 20:20:47

I love Lyra, but i don't think you should use it because I want to keep it for my as yet unconceived daughter I fear it could be VERY popular in a few years time...

yomellamoHelly Fri 22-Jul-11 20:22:16

Love Lyra. But doesn't go with May. You need 2 syllables or more I think.

redheadbedhead Fri 22-Jul-11 20:26:53

grin mamagool love your post!!

yomellomo our surname is 2 syllables as well, so I think that would be 2-syllable-overkill.... but thanks for the suggestion!

Interesting that you know a Lyra bebe - I wonder how many there are out there....? will have a look at popular names lists.... like the idea of having a slightly unusual name and not one that everyone else has smile

Pelvicflooragogo Fri 22-Jul-11 21:54:10

Love it! Considered Lyra and May for ours. Went with Ivy Tabitha!

pestroid Fri 22-Jul-11 22:27:44

Lyra is to close to Myra imo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now