Talk

Advanced search

Graham

(50 Posts)
chandellina Thu 21-Jul-11 11:54:02

got blasted for this name on mumsnet three years ago and decided against it ... wonder if the times have changed. due for a revival or hopelessly naff?

zozzle Thu 21-Jul-11 11:57:46

Not keen at all - sorry!

thisisyesterday Thu 21-Jul-11 12:00:39

i kind of like it...

StoopidBint Thu 21-Jul-11 12:09:55

don't like it at all - sorry!

pointydog Thu 21-Jul-11 12:17:31

Don;t like graham at all.

But if you still like it, just use it.

Lancelottie Thu 21-Jul-11 12:23:48

S'fine. Wouldn't blink at it. But it does have two fairly standard spellings so might be irritating from that point of view (speaking from bitter experience).

nokissymum Thu 21-Jul-11 12:28:06

what does graham mean ?

pilates Thu 21-Jul-11 12:32:11

Awful

Ragwort Thu 21-Jul-11 12:33:39

I like it - traditional but unusual these days smile.

SiamoFottuti Thu 21-Jul-11 12:33:41

Graham is not a cute cuddly baby. Graham is a 42 year man who lives with his mother and has odd stains on his handmade jumpers.

Sorry.

NearlyHeadlessnickelbabe Thu 21-Jul-11 12:37:45

I wouldn't!

My dad's name is Graham, and he's 70 this year.
If DH & I have a boy, he will be James Graham - but I wouldn't give a child Graham as a first name.
I knew a Graham when I was at uni, 17years ago (he was the same age as me) and it just sounded odd.

NearlyHeadlessnickelbabe Thu 21-Jul-11 12:38:14

nokissymum - it means "from the grey home"

Kveta Thu 21-Jul-11 12:46:26

I know a baby Graham, he's cute and the name suits him. Was a bit 'really?' at first, but he is a Graham now. It can be shortened to Gray too, which is nice on a wee boy. Not a name I'd use, but nothing wrong with it either smile

(although I prefer the Graeme spelling, but there were 5 Graham/Graemes in my year at school, and the Grahams were less pleasant people than the Graemes, so it's just a bias based on my experience 15+ years ago grin)

toddlerama Thu 21-Jul-11 12:48:07

Baaaaaaaaad name. Right up there with Wayne, Brenda and Bruce.

Raahh Thu 21-Jul-11 12:48:17

I like it- was my uncle's name, and had dd2 been a boy, was going to be his middle name. Not sure if i would have been brave enough to use it as a first, but it is a good name. And Gray is a fine nick name. As someone who has given 2 of her children names that can have a couple of (legitimate) spellings, the spelling wouldn't matter-though personally i view Graeme as a surname, but don't know why! Do it!grin

toddlerama Thu 21-Jul-11 12:48:31

Gray I like though. But it would have to be that on the cert. Not Graham.

vickibee Thu 21-Jul-11 12:50:41

Graham is my brother's name, although not popular now it is a nice enough name and you should call your child this name if you like it.

superjobee Thu 21-Jul-11 12:53:15

i like graeme <hate graham for some irrational reason> smile

controlleddemolition Thu 21-Jul-11 12:57:21

Someone suggested this on a thread the other day and I internally went shock

So there's your answer from me.

BadTasteFlump Thu 21-Jul-11 13:05:07

It's one of those names which is fine but is more from my generation (I'm in my 30's). I would put it in the same batch as David, Stephen, Andrew, etc - ie all decent names but not trendy and not likely to be for a long time.

That wouldn't put me off though - IMO it's not good having a trendy name which you then share with about three other children in your class.

If you like it I would go with it - I gave all my DC very well known and traditional names which just didn't happen to be 'in' at the time. Strangely enough people comment on how 'lovely and unusual' their names are although they're not at all really (unusual that is) - just are for their generation.

tummytickler Thu 21-Jul-11 13:14:49

I love it, and we have considered it many times (aong with Malcolm and Donald), but it doesn't fit with other dc's.

LadyWellian Thu 21-Jul-11 13:15:28

How funny, I was just thinking the other day that Graham/Graeme is one of those names that doesn't seem to have had a comeback.

I've only ever met two who were younger than me - one Graeme and one Graham - and both were the year below me at school, so would now be 39!

PaperBank Thu 21-Jul-11 13:24:45

I wouldn't choose it but there's nothing wrong with it.

nokissymum Thu 21-Jul-11 17:17:32

Thank you nearlyhead grin OP is your home grey ? Either way it doesnt sound very "sunny" sad.

RockinSockBunnies Thu 21-Jul-11 17:21:33

No no no. You envisage a man named Graham as dull, grey-haried, wearing socks with sandals and going on caravanning holidays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now