Talk

Advanced search

Harriet Octavia, sister for Phoebe Elizabeth?

(23 Posts)
Bumpsadaisie Thu 21-Jul-11 09:53:35

DD1 is Phoebe Elizabeth - what do you reckon to Harriet Octavia if DC2 is a girl?

Any better ideas? Harriet is literally the ONLY girls name DH and I can agree on. Boys are sorted.

MooseCakey Thu 21-Jul-11 09:57:08

I like it smile

pilates Thu 21-Jul-11 09:57:58

Very nice

WiiUnfit Thu 21-Jul-11 11:17:07

It sounds a bit pretentious(sp?) to me tbh. Also, be careful with vowel-starting middle names, especially if your surname begins with G grin

Bumpsadaisie Thu 21-Jul-11 11:19:37

Is it the Octavia that makes it a bit pretentious? How about Harriet Mary?

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 21-Jul-11 11:21:24

Lovely. Harriet Mary is also lovely. Mary is sorely underused.

IndigoBell Thu 21-Jul-11 11:23:26

Harriet is lovely.

Octavia should only be used for the 8th child grin

How about Harriet Olivia?

grubbalo Thu 21-Jul-11 13:36:25

It's just lovely - both names are beautiful - go for it!

WiiUnfit Fri 22-Jul-11 22:46:27

yy to Harriet Olivia, that fits perfectly with Phoebe Elizabeth IMO. I'm not sure why it sounds pretentious, it just does IYSWIM?

dearprudence Fri 22-Jul-11 22:48:38

Harriet and Octavia are both (fabulous) Jilly Cooper romances, so I say YES!

If you're unsure, the others are Prudence, Emily, Imogen and Bella wink

PonceyMcPonce Fri 22-Jul-11 22:49:26

is she due in August?
I feel babies called May should be born in may, and Octavias should be born in August (or be the eighth child!).

But a very nice name without my pedantry

redheadbedhead Sat 23-Jul-11 06:19:30

harriet - lovely
octavia - i agree with Wii, sounds a wee bit pretentious. sorry sad

howabout Sat 23-Jul-11 06:28:55

Harriet lovely. I like girls' names that can be shortened to androgynous nicknames -appeals to my feminist leanings. I think Octavia for a middle name has a certain ring to it and not pretentious at all as it is not as if everyone goes around broadcasting their middle name.

jenniferturkington Sat 23-Jul-11 06:43:39

I have a Harriet, it's a beautiful name (obv I would say that!), and the nn Hattie is really cute for a little one too. Oh, and she has a cousin Phoebe smile

manicinsomniac Sat 23-Jul-11 07:05:16

Like Harriet, think it goes reall well with Phoebe.

Also think Harriet Octavia, Harriet Mary and Harriet Olivia all ound beautiful together.

I don't think it matters if Octavia is a bit pretentious (btw, as an aside, if you actually are a 'posh', traditional type person CAN you be pretentious or is that word only for people who are pretending to be 'posher' than they are?) because it' a middle name and middle names are there to go to town on imo.

PaperBank Sat 23-Jul-11 07:31:22

Er, yes.

"if you actually are a 'posh', traditional type person CAN you be pretentious"

everlong Sat 23-Jul-11 08:25:29

Harriet is a fabulous name. I love it. I do actually quite like 'poncey' names but I do think Octavia is a little too poncey, sorry. But if you love the name go for it.

Harriet Elisabeth
Harriet Alexandra
Harriet Martha

birdofthenorth Sat 23-Jul-11 10:11:44

I love Harriet but agree it sounds too posh with Octavia.

Bumpsadaisie Sat 23-Jul-11 12:20:07

Thanks everyone for the input. It sounds like Octavia may be a little on the pretentious side, I just love the way it sounds and spells. She (if she is a she) would be the second child, born in the tenth month, so maybe Harriet Secunda or Harriet Decima!

If she were born in august she could of course be Harriet Augusta ...

But seriously, here is another to add to the mix - does Harriet Antonia suffer from the same issues as Harriet Octavia?

In a way I hope its a boy as he will be straightforward - Thomas Abraham - sorted, signed and sealed, since DD1 was in the womb!

dycey Sat 23-Jul-11 15:16:25

Thomas Abraham is a great name! Love it!

Do what you want over the Harriet name but I agree octavia is so Latin That it sounds a bit pretentious but never mind that if you like it. It's all how a child wears it's name!

WiiUnfit Sat 23-Jul-11 16:35:27

Thomas Abraham is v.cute! Be careful with your initials though!

I think Harriet Antonia is better definitely, again - as long as your surname doesn't begin with G! I don't really know what it is about Octavia, it just sounds "ooh get you" IYSWIM? grin

redheadbedhead Sat 23-Jul-11 20:47:01

antonia is much much better!!

GwendolineMaryLacey Sun 24-Jul-11 06:00:32

Ignore them, Octavia is lovely

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now