Advanced search

reassurance please re name choice!

(32 Posts)
meredithgrey Wed 20-Jul-11 21:01:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BibiBelle Wed 20-Jul-11 21:06:14

My neice. 2yrs old, Gorgeous, blonde and feisty with it smile

Likesshinythings Wed 20-Jul-11 21:09:47

My 24 year old goddaughter is called Rebecca and she is lovely. She always called herself Rebbie when she was little, which stuck and is a nice nickname, I think.
Don't worry about current associations, it will all soon be old news.

Oakmaiden Wed 20-Jul-11 21:13:30

I'm a nice Rebecca. Becky or Becka to my family and close friends, but I think of myself as a Rebecca. I love my name.

MelinaM Wed 20-Jul-11 21:17:19

Rebecca is a lovely name, you have nothing to worry about at allsmile

tabulahrasa Wed 20-Jul-11 21:21:16

I know two adult Rebeccas and a 9 yr old one - all lovely

probably because they spelled it right wink

birdinatent Wed 20-Jul-11 21:23:30

my niece is a lovely grown up Rebecca smile

MsChanandlerBong Wed 20-Jul-11 22:10:45

I have a lovely friend called Rebecca (nn Becky). And one of my other friends has a very cool sister called Rebekah (nn Bekah). It is a beautiful, classic, timeless name.

everlong Wed 20-Jul-11 22:24:58

Ah try not to dwell on her.

You love your dd's name and it suits her, keep that in your mind.

Ms Brooks will soon be old news.

manicinsomniac Wed 20-Jul-11 22:37:52

I'm a Rebecca and hadn't even thought of a name connection with Rebekah Brooks (I'm jealous of her spelling though, I always wanted to be Rebekah with a K)

I know countless Rebeccas my age (it was top 5 when I was born) so obviously some are nice and some are not so nice.

Also know 3 little Rebeccas and, although one has a very irritating side to her she is aspergers and is generally very well meaning and lovely. Other two are cute.

I don't think a name can define a personality anway. Be happy with your baby and her name.

MayDayChild Wed 20-Jul-11 22:50:23

I'm Rebecca. It's a brill name. I'm bec to family and close friends, Becca to most and in business I'm rebecca.
Versatile! Timeless and if I may say so, I'm a very nice charming and intelligent kind thoughtful person.
It will pass.

TrinaLuciusMalfoy Wed 20-Jul-11 23:03:32

If you'd called your daughter Lucretia or something I could probably understand the need for reassurance. But I think Rebecca's popular enough (without being overly so at present) that people aren't going to make the connection, or if they do it's not going to last long.

FWIW, it's on our list, I love it smile

bruffin Wed 20-Jul-11 23:03:43

I have a Rebecca , (Becca, Becks or Becky) and she is lovely. She is 13, very bright, intelligent and quick witted but very kind and caring as well. She volunteers at a SN playgroup and also a SN swim session at the weekends.

meredithgrey Wed 20-Jul-11 23:23:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Wed 20-Jul-11 23:34:46

I just read your post and thought 'Rebecca... that's unusal' and the Rebekah Brooks thing didn't occur to be until you mentioned it. But, then, maybe I'm dim.

bruffin Thu 21-Jul-11 07:25:10

Thinking about it will anyone remember who Rebekah Brooks was in a years time!

tummytickler Thu 21-Jul-11 10:31:19

I love Rebekah, and would still use it (if dh would let me!) with the nn Rivka (Hebrew form of Rebekah).
I don't know any little ones, but went to college with a lovely one. She had the nn Beena (Somehow got to Ribena from Rebecca and was called Beena from there!) , she was/is lovely and I am often very sad that we lost touch in our twenties.

LilBB Thu 21-Jul-11 10:34:56

It's quite a popular name that has been for a while so there are always going to people with that name, good or bad. I know about 10 Rebeccas (with various shortened versions) and 1 is a massive bitch. The rest are just normal.

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Thu 21-Jul-11 13:51:04

I really don't know any baby Rebeccas - but it is one of those names that never really goes out of fashion, it's fairly timeless.

I saw a thread once about the name Joseph (we have one, that was why I read it) and someone's MIL had said something along the lines of 'Awful name, I don't know how you can think about using it' and referred to Josef Stalin!! So I suppose someone will possibly make a connection, particularly if the name is unusual, but if it's a fairly well known name, it's unlikely to evoke any one particular person.

Rebekah Brooks will be wrapping our fish and chips tomorrow. Which is quite fitting, I think.

MordechaiVanunu Thu 21-Jul-11 14:13:24

Rebecca's are nearly always beautiful and usually sporty, popular and clever too but lovely with it. At least all the Rebecca's I've known have been like this.

So it's a very fine name to have given your daughter.

PaperBank Thu 21-Jul-11 14:32:40

I like Rebecca. It's a classic Biblical name.

minipie Thu 21-Jul-11 14:40:59

I know loads. All nice.

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 21-Jul-11 14:43:16

Lovely name. <adds to list>

Bandwithering Thu 21-Jul-11 16:43:48

There are FAR too many rebeccas for people to think of Rebecca wade when they think of your daughter.

jellybeans Sat 23-Jul-11 00:28:56

I know a lovely Rebecca, she is about 30. It's a great name! I like the spelling Rebekah.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now