Talk

Advanced search

not asking you to decide, just want to get reactions

(44 Posts)
rhetorician Wed 20-Jul-11 18:27:54

thinking of calling DD2 Anastasia (old family name), probably with Anna as nn. DP and I really like it - it's classic, but very feminine, and a traditional (although not much used) name where we live.

Alternative is Dara (or Daire in the Irish spelling) - it can be used for a boy or a girl, and means either 'oak', 'fertile' of 'second-born' depending on which source you consult. I like this one too.

EauRouge Wed 20-Jul-11 18:31:58

I don't like Anastasia but my DH loves it and was trying to talk me into it for both DDs. I think if your surname is something simple like Jones then it would work. Is Dara the name of that bald bloke off Mock the Week?

RuthChan Wed 20-Jul-11 18:33:43

I love Anastasia too. Especially if it has family links for you too.

Not so sure about Dara.
I'm afraid that I too get images of the comedian from Mock the Week.

rhetorician Wed 20-Jul-11 18:36:27

see I hadn't thought about the Mock the Week guy - perhaps because living in Ireland it's a relatively common name. I do worry about the fact that most people think it's a boy's name...

Eglu Wed 20-Jul-11 18:36:34

I like Anastasia, it was on my list for DS1.

PaperBank Wed 20-Jul-11 19:38:54

Love Anastasia.

Not keen on unisex names so personally I wouldn't pick Dara.

PotterWatch Wed 20-Jul-11 19:39:13

Anastasia is nice, unusual but not ridiculous. Dara also reminds me of the comedian and I would think of it as a boys name.

MamaLazarou Wed 20-Jul-11 19:40:25

I love Anastasia.

Dara for me is that fucking annoying fox in 'Big City Park'.

spout Wed 20-Jul-11 19:42:54

Dana instead of Dara, maybe? I know a thirtysomething Anastasia who gets called 'Stasi' which is confused

bestfootforwards Wed 20-Jul-11 19:44:52

Anastasia is lovely, and anna as a nickname would be a great option too

bestfootforwards Wed 20-Jul-11 19:44:55

Anastasia is lovely, and anna as a nickname would be a great option too

rhetorician Wed 20-Jul-11 20:01:13

hmmm, Dara isn't emerging very well, is it? No, not Dana - really don't like it. Does the 'Stasi' lady merit her nn? by the time DD is old enough no-one will know who the stasi were, probably

Rhubarbgarden Wed 20-Jul-11 20:02:47

Anastasia is beautiful, and if it's a family name it's the perfect excuse.

vividgingerchilli Wed 20-Jul-11 20:03:56

Anastasia is lovely, but you might want to consider if you mind it being the same name as (I think) a main character in a Disney film??? It wouldn't bother me but better you know now and decide if it bothers you!

pilates Wed 20-Jul-11 20:04:56

Anastasia with nn Anna is lovely

Not keen on Dara

HadAThreesomeWithFredAndGeorge Wed 20-Jul-11 20:06:20

I really like Dara, just to buck the trend grin

Not so keen on Anastasia, but Anna is a lovely NN.

Ragwort Wed 20-Jul-11 20:07:44

Love Anna, Dara OK.

whostolemyname Wed 20-Jul-11 20:08:33

Anastasia I like a lot.

MelinaM Wed 20-Jul-11 20:09:48

Lovely classic name, love Anna toosmile

scarlettsmummy2 Wed 20-Jul-11 20:11:05

I really like both but was thinking of Dara for a boy. I also love Dara O'Brien so this may have swayed me

rhetorician Wed 20-Jul-11 20:16:55

on the Disney character, don't really care - there is also a big line in slightly dodgy phone lines with Russian girls called Anastasia...I do really like Dara too, but have always been a bit wobbly about it for a girl - even though I know a few female Daras. We are a lesbian couple and I just worry a bit about it being tricky for her to negotiate having a name that lots of people think is a boy's name

rhetorician Wed 20-Jul-11 20:17:28

I really like Anna as well - although forbears with the name were usually called Ansty hmm

vividgingerchilli Thu 21-Jul-11 05:48:54

I would assume that Dara is a boy's name as well so Anastasia gets my vote. That said it's probably because I pronounce it Darragh like the chap off the TV whereas if you had a it for a girl's name it's presumably going to be pronounced like Sara, Tara, Lara or Cara would be?

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Thu 21-Jul-11 05:51:50

I love Anastasia. Around here it's a Greek name, not a Russian one (lots of Greek families in my area/line of work) but I think it's a nicely international sort of name. The ability to chop it into various nicknames is a bonus.

seeker Thu 21-Jul-11 06:18:30

Definitely not Dara, then. Too unisex - you don't want to do anything to give the fuckwits ammunition.

Anastasia nn Anna is lovely. Classic, classy and easy to live with. And and excellent telling off name "AN-A-SAS-IA!!! COME HERE THIS MINUTE!!!!"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now