Talk

Advanced search

Non traditional names wanted... but non 'chavy' also!

(17 Posts)
kri5ty Wed 20-Jul-11 12:09:22

Ok, so we have a few names we like for girls and boys. We want a name that is a little unusual, so there wont be many children in the school with the same names!!

For a girl it is easier We like Jasmine, Sofia, Brooke, Madison (i know they are not too unusual)

And for a boy we struggle, we like Harley, Brandon

ANy other ideas? We dont want ones that are too "out there"... no bullying!!

Roxy25 Wed 20-Jul-11 12:13:55

Zacahry, Isaac, Nathan, Oscar, Felix..

ShoutyHamster Wed 20-Jul-11 12:18:06

Don't like the term chavvy - but I would guess that most people would describe Brooke, Madison, Harley and Brandon as right up there!

With names, the term seems more often to refer to anything which sounds more modern and definitely those that sound Americanised. And those which have become popular recently and very quickly.

If you like Jasmine and Sofia, why not more Mediterranean names for a boy too? Bruno, Cosimo, Marcus, Luka?

nagynolonger Wed 20-Jul-11 12:18:12

Toby, Brett, Harvey, Lance, Miles,

Elizadoesdolittle Wed 20-Jul-11 12:25:55

I agree with shoutyhamster. I would put Brooke, Madison and Harley up there with the more "chavvy" names.
I think from reading previous threads it's obvious that what one person deems to be chavvy another person totally disagrees with.
I think if you love a name then go for it and don't worry about other peoples opinions. My DD's name is very popular at the moment but I have loved the name since I was about 12 years old and decided to go with it anyway.

kri5ty Wed 20-Jul-11 12:31:57

yes i agree with those one... my husband likes them ones! I just donlt want names like "porche" etc (sorry to any Porches out there!)

I love med names, and love luka!

dapperflapper Thu 21-Jul-11 13:19:14

Peony
Lavender
Meadow
Lyra
Delphi
Seraphi
Lilou
Luna
Maya

Leaf
River etc

I can only think of nature names..or from other languages ...Lilou was v pop in France.Your other names e.g. Madison a bit American ......not particularly classy

You could take inspiration from other countries. Maya is pretty international.

dapperflapper Thu 21-Jul-11 13:19:56

but Maya not so unusual

dapperflapper Thu 21-Jul-11 13:22:13

re American - don't mean to offend - mean soap opera style iyswim -I love Wallace as in Simpson.

allieballiebee Thu 21-Jul-11 15:04:07

I think the only 'non-chavvy' name in that list is Sofia, but I prefer Sophia spelling.

It's hard coming up with an unusual name though.

mathanxiety Thu 21-Jul-11 17:09:09

I agree on the names and categories they fall into.

Sophia/Sofia and Jasmine are lovely.

Would you like
Marley ( a bit better than Madison or Harley imo)
Holly

Jonah
Micah
Brendan (I think the E makes a difference)
Harry/ Harrison
Jackson
Roman

nagynolonger Fri 22-Jul-11 11:11:13

I like Harrison but most I know shorten it to Harry and there are lots of Harrys about.

Michael
Eric (quite like Erica for a girl)
Arthur (How about some of the Knights!)
Utha
Clive
Julian

I chose royal/saints names for my own five DS.

Girls names are really hard. Fortunately I've only had to name one DD

TurtlesAreRetroRight Fri 22-Jul-11 11:19:17

Chavvy is a horrible term but you can't escape the fact that people are making a stab at trying to group a certain type of name by using it. And short of the wanky 'denotes a certain socioeconomic status' I just don't know how you manage to describe it.

Anyway, people of aforementioned socioeconomic lifestyle seem to embrace names that are American, unisex and/or surnames. So Brooke, Madison, Harley, Brandon etc scream value sausages and hair gel on a 3yo.

But as ever a child is more than their name and it's always better to go with a name you utterly love and sod the associations.

Karmanna Fri 22-Jul-11 16:40:49

I'm struggling to come up with boy's names too but I have a long list of potential girl's names I like (some are Swedish as that's where I'm from):

Freya / Freja
Ronja
Saskia
Poppy
Daisy
Moa
Tove / Tova / Tuva
Josefin
Isabella
Lovisa

Coolpeas1 Sun 24-Jul-11 18:37:47

Saffron
Esme
Rosa
Martha
Lucia
Delphie
George
Felix
Elsie

scoobydont Mon 25-Jul-11 13:34:55

alicia
alyssa
alessia
darcy
sara
heidi
Jenna
laurel
casey
callie
dara
jemima
hope
eliza

AKMD Mon 25-Jul-11 13:41:37

Melinda
Maia

Elias
Elijah

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now