Talk

Advanced search

Are these initials a problem?...........

(19 Posts)
kalo12 Sun 17-Jul-11 22:26:31

EBD

Please don't explain if you know the acronym, I am trying to get an objective perspective. I work in the field but dh and other family memebers never heard of it and doesn't think it matters.

What do you think? I can't get a gage on it. Ta

SouthGoingZax Sun 17-Jul-11 22:29:05

I know what it means.

Not a problem though - in the place where I work (where people would know) they very rarely see the 3 initials like that - much more likely to be just the first and last names used.

I think t's fine.

deemented Sun 17-Jul-11 22:30:38

Haven't a clue what they mean. They look OK to me.

kalo12 Sun 17-Jul-11 22:49:22

bum

kalo12 Sun 17-Jul-11 22:49:45

bump

Rhubarbgarden Sun 17-Jul-11 22:51:08

Means nothing to me!

MsChanandlerBong Mon 18-Jul-11 06:23:59

Means nothing to me.... I'm going to have to google it now as you have caught my curiousity!!

MsChanandlerBong Mon 18-Jul-11 06:26:40

OK have googled it now! And see there are a few things it stands for.
However I also googled a few other random sets of initials, and I think there will be multiple acronyms for all possible sets of initials. So unless it is something really mainstream (NHS) or something undesirable (STD) then I don't think you should let it bother you in the slightest.

HTH.

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Mon 18-Jul-11 06:28:53

Never heard of it

PaperBank Mon 18-Jul-11 09:09:34

Haven't heard of it.

Cattleprod Mon 18-Jul-11 09:17:41

Means nothing to me so I googled it and the first meaning to come up is Electronic Brakeforce Distribution! I assume you mean the other meaning though, which I don't think many people would have heard of unless they are directly affected. In fact I think EBD is preferable to BED, which you would get if you swapped the first two names - much more potential for teasing.

echidnakid Mon 18-Jul-11 09:20:39

I haven't heard of it either. I think that unless it's a really obviously offensive or silly acronym (like KKK or T.I.T) it won't be a problem.

belgo Mon 18-Jul-11 09:20:56

Sounds fine to me. If you think it's a problem, just add a second middle name.

MrsTittleMouse Mon 18-Jul-11 09:23:32

Depends if it is likely to become more mainstream as an acronym, I suppose. But I'd never heard of it until now.

Personally, I wouldn't do it if I were you, because you know what it stands for and it bothers you. It's your baby! All the stuff about initials not being used very much - both my Dad and my DH use their initials every day (in different professions).

JumpJockey Mon 18-Jul-11 09:26:08

We gave dd2 the initials ED even though a medic might think "erectile disfunction" - most people won't think twice, really! Never heard of anything for EBD.

Blindcavesalamander Mon 18-Jul-11 09:27:40

No idea what it means. Children in the playground are even less likely to know.

HoneyPablo Mon 18-Jul-11 09:28:38

Emotional and behaviour disorder or
Egyptian book of the dead?
What does it mean?

NattersAndMutters Mon 18-Jul-11 11:06:43

Never heard of it, but if it's the vaguely psychiatric-sounding one, I wouldn't worry as this type of jargon gets constantly re-invented.

I mean, take 'special needs'. One of the old descriptions was 'educationally sub-normal' and to be honest, when I first saw the abbreviation SN on here I automatically thought 'sub-normal'. confused

globalmouse Mon 18-Jul-11 11:09:33

I work in the field, and probably wouldnt actually put two and two together on this one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now